BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding SW update in Europe on American G30 too risky?

07-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

SW update in Europe on American G30 too risky?

Hi guys, quick question about iDrive SW update (G30 540ix) and potential implications. I have a NBTevo_J version. I wanted to code in full screen apple carplay, but I was told I need newer SW version. Issue is, my car is from states and now is run in Europe. I convinced local dealer to update it, but when I came in he said he doesn't recommend it - had 2 cars like that before (American car in Europe), one blew the radio unit, the other cluster. He said SW update is basically full flash of everything so I would have to sign a waiver and whatever happens is on me and he doesn't feel good about it and unless it really bothers me (I told him my iDrive is lagging ) - he wouldnt do it :/. Car is outside of warranty.

Any thoughts? Is it really risky to do this? I have bad luck with this car, so I really dont want to risk having to pay couple grand for radio/cluster for just having full screen carplay. THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I'd take the dealer's advice and hold off on it.

Even in the US a software update can impact a module or two that may end up needing replacement. But being outside the country and without warranty you'd be taking on a lot of risk if it were to go sideways. I would't consider full screen CarPlay that big of a deal, but we all have different valuations we place on things.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

US cars are coded to EU spec when imported in Europe. When the dealer does a full flash calculation computer tells them to replace Instrument cluster and Head unit beacuse they do not match the factory spec of the US version.

You can still flash just the HU with Esys and than make Carplay full screen.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
US cars are coded to EU spec when imported in Europe. When the dealer does a full flash calculation computer tells them to replace Instrument cluster and Head unit beacuse they do not match the factory spec of the US version.

You can still flash just the HU with Esys and than make Carplay full screen.
I see - this was a crashed car which was brought up to europe for repair I think from Canada I was told - but dealer I visited recently said its US car. The guy who was selling it dont think exchanged anything. So it more looks like the canadian version which is very similiar to euro specs. It has the cold package and the dealer said the lights have different coding.

So I should just go ahead and tell the dealer to update the iDrive? He said its a full flash of everything (ECU, TCU all of it). Or can somebody other than dealer do what you said through Esys? To go from J to say P to go fullscreen? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
mrgicm
Captain
Rep

If the dealer updates ypur car, you will loose navigation fsc codes as the region will be reset to Canada and you will need to do region change and import new fsc again ro the car. However if you car was correctly coded to and region change done the dealer will not be able to update your car. I have done many US/Euro codings and region changes.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      07-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
If the dealer updates ypur car, you will loose navigation fsc codes as the region will be reset to Canada and you will need to do region change and import new fsc again ro the car. However if you car was correctly coded to and region change done the dealer will not be able to update your car. I have done many US/Euro codings and region changes.
This I dont know. I know the car was brought from Canada/US to EUR and now appears to work fine - maps work etc. However connected drive doesnt work and dealer couldnt see it in his connected drive system? Is this indicating something?

In this case, is there any way to safely get the car to enable full screen carplay? Sorry I know you may repeat yourself, just want to be sure and you sound like somebody who really knows whats up
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
mrgicm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
This I dont know. I know the car was brought from Canada/US to EUR and now appears to work fine - maps work etc. However connected drive doesnt work and dealer couldnt see it in his connected drive system? Is this indicating something?

In this case, is there any way to safely get the car to enable full screen carplay? Sorry I know you may repeat yourself, just want to be sure and you sound like somebody who really knows whats up
Connected drive does not work because the SIM card in your TCB is from USA/Canada and does not recognize Euro network providers.

This can be coded that your car uses the data from your teather mobile phone and not the cars SIM card.

Proper way for you to have Fullscreen Car play is update the HU to later 19xx software, than do a region change and import a new Full FSC set including Carplay fullscreen.
PM me if you need help.
Appreciate 2
luke1990132.50