E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Power/Heated Seat Retrofit

07-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Macman45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

E90 Power/Heated Seat Retrofit

I am adding a pair of power and heated seats into a car with full manual and had some wiring questions. The seats are power and heated, and have all modules and heating pads etc already installed (I saw some retrofit guides ripping open the seats to install the heating elements). I also have the pigtails leaving the seat connectors, and of course theres plenty more wires than my car harness has.

I also already have the heating control buttons for below the radio, I already popped that in, ribbon cable was there, and at night the buttons light up so good start.

Obviously I see some fat 12ish gauge brown and red wires in the pigtail, that's my ground and steady 12v power, and thankfully both seats have airbags, seat belt indicators and tensioners so those 6 wires (3 twisted pairs) plug right in good to go, and lastly I understand the driver seat being memory operates with the K_CAN high and low, I can tap that into my iDrive controller or something.

My question comes up with the handful over smaller gauge "trigger" wires and where they'll need to go, that are in the new harness I am adding. I'm attaching a picture I found of just the driver side to start, the wires in question are 16 gauge wires top right, so pin 6,7,10, and 12. I got the wire colors, but where do they go to "trigger?"

I am assuming once I recode the VO for heated seats, pressing the new button on the center console will trigger a module to pulse the seats' module. Either FRM or something. AM I on the right track?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
Macman45
Private First Class
Rep

Figured it out. There’s 2, the PWM and a switched low current +12v. Goes to JBE pins 38 and 10 respectively.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      07-17-2020, 03:10 AM   #3
Nipperjam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi I got a similar problem I changed from power memory to power memory heat and lumber now on the drivers side all works apart from lumber on the passenger side all works apart from heat any I know I have to bridge the thick power and earth wire but don’t know where to tap the smaller wires into any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Macman45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipperjam View Post
Hi I got a similar problem I changed from power memory to power memory heat and lumber now on the drivers side all works apart from lumber on the passenger side all works apart from heat any I know I have to bridge the thick power and earth wire but don't know where to tap the smaller wires into any help would be appreciated
Quote:
Hi I got a similar problem I changed from power memory to power memory heat and lumber now on the drivers side all works apart from lumber on the passenger side all works apart from heat any I know I have to bridge the thick power and earth wire but don't know where to tap the smaller wires into any help would be appreciated
You're adding heat or adding head and Sport? If your heat isn't working on the passenger side, you need to add pin 10 and 38 to the JBE. Driver should just work since it's KCAN controlled. The smaller wires there's the two on the passenger side I mentioned, 10 and 38, and the driver has a high/low KCAN.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
Nipperjam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You're adding heat or adding head and Sport? If your heat isn't working on the passenger side, you need to add pin 10 and 38 to the JBE. Driver should just work since it's KCAN controlled. The smaller wires there's the two on the passenger side I mentioned, 10 and 38, and the driver has a high/low KCAN.

Hi thanks for the reply I'm new to this I'm more macanicly than electric what is a jbe I added sport seats and on the drivers side no lumber everything else is ok passenger side everything ok except heat if you could give step by step it would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
Macman45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Hi thanks for the reply I'm new to this I'm more macanicly than electric what is a jbe I added sport seats and on the drivers side no lumber everything else is ok passenger side everything ok except heat if you could give step by step it would be appreciated
Quote:
Mechanically inclined? Anyways the JBE is the body module behind the fuse box. If you added Sport you've now got a KCAN network for the seats on the driver side. That's why your bolsters aren't working. You need to add a high and low KCAN signal to the driver.

For the passenger you need to add both 12G power wires together, and run the two 18G wires I mentioned above, the PWM and switched power to pins 10 and 38 on the JBE.

Then code the car for Heated
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Nipperjam
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi thanks again will the car have to be coded as the drivers side heat works fine
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Macman45
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi thanks again will the car have to be coded as the drivers side heat works fine
Probably if you didn't have heat before
Appreciate 0