BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Standard M vs Competition comfort?

Hello,

I have ordered my X5M last week. Upgrading from G30 540i mperf.

I am wondering about "comfort". Because we have bad streets here, I use my car 70% city.

Many guys in reviews said that competition suspension is superhard..
Dealer told me that his customer bought M5 competition (sedan I mean) and sold it because of too hard susp. Then bought standard and is happy.

Do you have any infos about? Because I still can find only competition reviews.

I have driven friends x5m from 2012 and was super comfort but on 19" wheels.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Hello,

I am wondering about "comfort". Because we have bad streets here, I use my car 70% city.

Dealer told me that his customer bought M5 competition (sedan I mean) and sold it because of too hard susp. Then bought standard and is happy.

Only way you can determine what suspension you find comfortable is a test drive. Being an X5M forum, the results of answers would be skewed towards comfortable since they bought the car. What's comfortable to one person may not be for the other person. Better to test it out on roads you know so you don't end up with a car that will annoy you on your daily commute.
      07-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Only way you can determine what suspension you find comfortable is a test drive. Being an X5M forum, the results of answers would be skewed towards comfortable since they bought the car. What's comfortable to one person may not be for the other person. Better to test it out on roads you know so you don't end up with a car that will annoy you on your daily commute.
Problem is that dealers in my country has only sedans in M.. no x5m neither nor x6m for test drive :-(

Small country, no options. Its too rare here they said and I may wait months if they would be lucky and got some for journalists or so..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

Problem is that dealers in my country has only sedans in M.. no x5m neither nor x6m for test drive :-(

Small country, no options. Its too rare here they said and I may wait months if they would be lucky and got some for journalists or so..
I guess that does make it difficult. Even if you were to drive an M5 it would likely be very different as the taller height of an SUV would negatively affect body control and suspension comfort. Guess you may have to wait for other opinions but like I said they will be bias as its a BMW forum. You'll have to decide whether the risk is worth it.
      07-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Officially from BMW X5M have the same suspension as competition model.
Which is not case with M5 and their competition model.
      07-18-2020, 12:48 AM   #6
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

I guess that does make it difficult. Even if you were to drive an M5 it would likely be very different as the taller height of an SUV would negatively affect body control and suspension comfort. Guess you may have to wait for other opinions but like I said they will be bias as its a BMW forum. You'll have to decide whether the risk is worth it.
yes I will have to risk it seems.

I drove only "M" the M5 and from new "X" the x5 m50d which was super comfortable but the ride was unstable-like on "gum", especially in turns.

Compared to my 540i mperf with adaptive susp :
Comfort in M5 was same mb stiffer but comfortable
X5 50d was more comfortable (no air susp)

Somebody here wrote that smaller X models like x3 and x4 comp are stiffer than standard ones.

Well.. we know only that comp is stiff so with standard M I have "chance" for more comfort.

Maybe somebody will tell us own experience or I will just try it myself in winter 2020/2021 - ordered last week so I will wait long time. Until the production I have still option to change it back on competition.. 🤷🏻
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 02:05 AM   #7
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

yes I will have to risk it seems.

I drove only "M" the M5 and from new "X" the x5 m50d which was super comfortable but the ride was unstable-like on "gum", especially in turns.

Compared to my 540i mperf with adaptive susp :
Comfort in M5 was same mb stiffer but comfortable
X5 50d was more comfortable (no air susp)

Somebody here wrote that smaller X models like x3 and x4 comp are stiffer than standard ones.

Well.. we know only that comp is stiff so with standard M I have "chance" for more comfort.

Maybe somebody will tell us own experience or I will just try it myself in winter 2020/2021 - ordered last week so I will wait long time. Until the production I have still option to change it back on competition.. 🤷🏻
Hmm so the bmw expert in saloon told me that X5M competition is in comfort suspension setting stiff like the X5M standard in sport plus mode.. but he mentioned he havent driven both of them yet
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
moutso
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X6M (Black Fire)

I have a 2018 x5m. My lease is up this November. I am currently deciding between the x6m comp and the x6m 50. Honestly, I test drove both (my friend has a comp) and I'm leaning towards the 50. The ride was really nice and had power (not as much as the comp but closer to what I have now). I live in DC and mostly city driving. the x6m 50 was a much better ride.

Originally I was debating between the x6m comp and x4m comp (HORRIBLE RIDE) and I test drove the 50 out of curiosity. Really happy with it. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
BiGFather154.00
      07-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moutso View Post
I have a 2018 x5m. My lease is up this November. I am currently deciding between the x6m comp and the x6m 50. Honestly, I test drove both (my friend has a comp) and I'm leaning towards the 50. The ride was really nice and had power (not as much as the comp but closer to what I have now). I live in DC and mostly city driving. the x6m 50 was a much better ride.

Originally I was debating between the x6m comp and x4m comp (HORRIBLE RIDE) and I test drove the 50 out of curiosity. Really happy with it. Hope this helps.
Hello thx very much.

So the X5/X6 m50i has much more comfort than the M competition.

I asked dealers on difference between "pure Ms" the x5m and x5m comp but everybody hesitate to answer me or answered me "not so sure", seems they dont know 😆
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Ok I have found 15 site technical document of x5m/x5m comp, x6m/x6m comp.

It seems on 99,9% that chasis and susp is exactly the same on x5m and x5m competition.

They just mention more sporty feel because of "higher performance". No signs about different build/setting of susp.

Going to wait on dealer but if its the same I would definitively go for competition. It will look better because of the contrast - donington gray.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #11
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Ok so I have finally the official answer from BMW. Its the same comfort and susp setting X5M and X5M competition. Either the X6.

Hope this helps somebody in deciding between 50i and Ms.

———

COMPETITION MODELS.

Besides the performance upgrade from 441 kW/600 hp to 460 kW/625 hp and the added standard equipment for the Competition models, they can be identified by their BMW kidney grille surrounds which, like the M gills, the exterior mirror caps, the model badges, the top part of the diffuser trim in the rear apron and the exhaust tailpipes, are finished in Black.

The Competition models come with forged M light-alloy wheels in a specially star-spoke design with a black polished finish.

BMW X5 M COMPETITION.

Equipment range:

460 kW / 625 hp
Excl. 21" / 22" forged wheels black burnished, dark coated
M Sport exhaust system, tailpipes in black chrome
Full leather Merino fine-grain incl. Alcantara headliner
Knee pads on centre console
M seat belts
Kidney frame, M gill, mirror caps in black
Badge on trunk in black
Illuminated door entry sills in black
Competition-specific bicolor upholstery with Alcantara applications
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
———

BMW X5 M COMPETITION.

Equipment range:

460 kW / 625 hp
M seat belts
Badge on trunk in black

Anyone know if the US X5M or X5MC comes with the Knee Pads on the Center Console? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:17 PM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

On mine (full black leather Comp model) its not really knee pads but the center console by your knees is raised up higher. Different compared to the normal X5's

Last edited by Alan l.; 07-24-2020 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #14
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
———

BMW X5 M COMPETITION.

Equipment range:

460 kW / 625 hp
M seat belts
Badge on trunk in black

Anyone know if the US X5M or X5MC comes with the Knee Pads on the Center Console? Thanks
Not sure mate, in EU does but I still dont know what are "knee pads" - something protecting the knees?
I hope it really does some function and not only visual effect
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
On mine (full black leather Comp model) its not really knee pads but the center console by your knees is raised up higher. Different compared to the normal X5's
I know on the previous generation X5M, it had some nice knee pads on the sides of the center console. I was hoping the new X5M would also have them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #16
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Hello,

Does your dealer have a X5M Comp allocation or only X5M regular so pushing you that way?
      07-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #17
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Does your dealer have a X5M Comp allocation or only X5M regular so pushing you that way?
My dealer doesnt push me its just me because I thought the x5m will be more comfortable than x5m comp until I have been informed from more sides its the same.
I switched it back to x5m comp.

I have ordered car 3weeks ago and dealer told me that day "in one month I will tell you more about production/delivery"

So I hope soon I will know...
At this moment it seems dec20/jan21 delivery.

For EU customers is the most paintul the 2months delivery from the US.
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      07-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #18
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How do you think we feel about waiting for a car built in Germany?

It's an even longer wait because the ship is fighting a headwind the entire way here, which slows it down. Then for US West coast port deliveries, the ship has to go through the Panama Canal and that adds at least an extra week.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:11 AM   #19
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

How do you think we feel about waiting for a car built in Germany?

It's an even longer wait because the ship is fighting a headwind the entire way here, which slows it down. Then for US West coast port deliveries, the ship has to go through the Panama Canal and that adds at least an extra week.
I wish it could be quicker.

So I hope it will not sink with my bmw 😆🙈
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #20
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

[QUOTE=BiGFather;26459759]Ok so I have finally the official answer from BMW. Its the same comfort and susp setting X5M and X5M competition. Either the X6.

Hope this helps somebody in deciding between 50i and Ms.

———

Are you absolutely sure the suspension on the X5M & the X5M Competition are the exact same? Like you, this answer is going to determine which model I buy. Where can I see this documentation?
Appreciate 0