BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

iX3 "missed the boat" for me

I would have purchased the iX3 when I replaced a leased 330e in January of this year, but it wasn't available. I bought a 530e because it was available and the EV range satisfied 80% of my local use. I'll be getting another vehicle in 2 years, but it's unlikely to be the iX3 even if it's available in the USA then. I will want a full EV and I'll want one on a dedicated EV platform, not a repurposed ICE platform. That list will include the Audi Q4 e-Tron, Porsche Macan, "Mustang", possibly the Tesla Model Y, and possibly the iNext. I say possibly depending on Tesla bringing out the Truck from a new assembly plant for it and the Model Y, and the size of the iNext. I'm hoping that a Tesla truck will blunt the "Rolling Coal" harassment of Tesla vehicles and that a new plant will have assembly and paint quality issues resolved using expertise from the China Tesla plant. The iNext, if it's X-5 size, will be too big for my urban use.

I think BMW missed the boat with their uni-platform strategy of using the same platform for ICE/PHEV/EV vehicles. It would have been a good strategy two years ago. But, in two years, there will be too many good dedicated EV platforms to chose among and IMO BMW will not be competitive in the EV market of 2022. Will that be enough to threaten the survival of BMW as an independent automaker? Only cash flow will tell. Same applies to the M-B EQC, which is another ICE adopted platform that is 2 years late to the USA market. But, IMO, M-B future is not as much at risk as BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Add the just-spied replacement M-B EQC to the list of dedicated EV platform vehicles. Availability 2022? There is speculation that M-B has accepted that the repurposed GLC platform turned into the EQC EV has been a mistake. Only a year later than rumored availability of a US-spec iX3. I think 2022 is going to be a crunch year for BMW's common-platform strategy.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Add the just-spied replacement M-B EQC to the list of dedicated EV platform vehicles. Availability 2022? There is speculation that M-B has accepted that the repurposed GLC platform turned into the EQC EV has been a mistake. Only a year later than rumored availability of a US-spec iX3. I think 2022 is going to be a crunch year for BMW's common-platform strategy.
Agree
Appreciate 0