BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
Mike_balt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 x3

random locks/beeps??

got our second F25/x3 about 3 weeks ago (2017 with 8k on it). twice the car has beeped in the garage with no one near it.

first time - came home about 6pm, left the car unlocked. about 10:30, the car beeps once and when I checked the doors were still unlocked.

Second time - came home around 5pm, left the car unlocked. the next morning about 8am, the car beeps. I check and the doors are now locked.

both times, no one near the key FOBS. it's almost like the re-lock function is applying itself randomly. open to any theories. is there a setting am I missing? this never happened with our last one, so I'm wondering if there's a setting I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_balt View Post
got our second F25/x3 about 3 weeks ago (2017 with 8k on it). twice the car has beeped in the garage with no one near it.

first time - came home about 6pm, left the car unlocked. about 10:30, the car beeps once and when I checked the doors were still unlocked.

Second time - came home around 5pm, left the car unlocked. the next morning about 8am, the car beeps. I check and the doors are now locked.

both times, no one near the key FOBS. it's almost like the re-lock function is applying itself randomly. open to any theories. is there a setting am I missing? this never happened with our last one, so I'm wondering if there's a setting I'm missing?
Someone in your neighborhood might have a vehicle on the same frequency, and your keys are in range of your vehicle.

Could also be interference and your keys are in range of the vehicle.

Worst case someone is jacking your key signal and testing it prior to stealing your vehicle.

Could also be something funny happening that a hard reset will fix (disconnect battery for an hour, then reconnect)

I would try moving the keys out of range or putting them in a faraday cage (you can buy key signal blocker cases) and see if the problem continues. If it does, something's up with the car. If it doesn't it could have been one of the first three items above.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_balt View Post

Strange electronics. I've had electrical/electronic issues with every BMW I have ever owned (40 yrs worth of them). In any case, let's isolate your key fob, all of them, wrap them up in aluminum foil and put them at the other end of the house, this is just an experiment, so do it long enough to know whether the car is still acting up or not. If it still acts up, then its not your key fobs.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
joshaguirre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i F25

Is it possible that the previous owner still has ConnectedDrive access and is locking/unlocking the car from their phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Mike_balt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 x3

Thanks for thoughts.

I will rule out someone trying to jack the car - it's parked next to my R8 and Maserati. they are not going for the BMW.

a neighbor? maybe, but it's pretty far. car is in the garage and houses are on over an acre. possible but long shot.

Problem with Key FOB - yup, could be. since the frequency is less than once/week, hiding the FOBs from the car would be a long experiment. I may put new batteries in them.

hard reset - can't hurt. may do that anyway.

Connected drive - our last one did not have that, so I need to figure out what option pack that came with and look at the build sheet to see if the car is equipped. I don't remember seeing anything about it in the menus.
Appreciate 0