THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum I think I created a steering column squeak when I replaced my steering wheel

07-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I installed a Coby wheel about a week ago. At the time of install, weather was boiling so my A/C has been on full blast until today

Suddenly with the lower fan speed, I can hear a faint squeak (kind of like a mattress spring) any time the steering is turning left. It sounds like it's coming from the left side of the steering column close to the driver.

I've already taken the wheel back off and greased up any part that could be rubbing. Double checked connections and wiring. All looks exactly as it should.

Anyone ever experience this? I'm worried I somehow managed to damage my clock spring, but I'm not sure how I would have.
Attached Images

07-22-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Damn I thought you escaped this one cleanly when you posted last.

Had the same trouble with an Abarth back in the day. (turned out to be a damaged clock spring, but only due to trying to extend the wheel out with a spacer since it did not telescope from the factory)

Hopefully someone on here has run into the issue before and can help. Since they use OEM steering wheels and just re wrap them, you would think the install would be 100% swap easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
Damn I thought you escaped this one cleanly when you posted last.

Had the same trouble with an Abarth back in the day. (turned out to be a damaged clock spring, but only due to trying to extend the wheel out with a spacer since it did not telescope from the factory)

Hopefully someone on here has run into the issue before and can help. Since they use OEM steering wheels and just re wrap them, you would think the install would be 100% swap easy.
I've done a steering wheel on every car I've bought used and this is the first time anything like this has happened :/

I'm not even sure how I would have damaged anything. I was soooo careful to disconnect everything before I even loosened the center bolt and the clockspring doesn't even come off with the wheel.

The new wheel has BMW part numbers and labels so I'm at a loss after removing the wheel twice looking for a solution.
      07-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
I've done a steering wheel on every car I've bought used and this is the first time anything like this has happened :/

I'm not even sure how I would have damaged anything. I was soooo careful to disconnect everything before I even loosened the center bolt and the clockspring doesn't even come off with the wheel.

The new wheel has BMW part numbers and labels so I'm at a loss after removing the wheel twice looking for a solution.
I don't suppose you held off on returning them your old wheel yet and can swap it back just for testing purposes?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

You sure it's not the "Y" shaped finishing trim surrounding the airbag? Mine can creak and squeak like a mutha when it's hot and humid out. Occasionally it happens when I turn, but usually mostly when I grab the wheel to get in and out of the car. I've still got the stock wheel and it has done this since new when the temps and humidity get high. I think some strategically placed light grease because where the plastic trim rub one another would stop the noise. Just a thought.
      07-22-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You sure it's not the "Y" shaped finishing trim surrounding the airbag? Mine can creak and squeak like a mutha when it's hot and humid out. Occasionally it happens when I turn, but usually mostly when I grab the wheel to get in and out of the car. I've still got the stock wheel and it has done this since new when the temps and humidity get high. I think some strategically placed light grease because where the plastic trim rub one another would stop the noise. Just a thought.
I'm pretty sure this is not it because it happens no matter what part of the wheel I hold, plus I've tried pinching and holding every plastic part I can think of while turning with the other hand and there have been no improvements.

I did the TSB near the firewall to ensure the column was properly greased today. I also took off the upper steering column trim by the turn signals and it was much louder with that cover off. I installed some felt in there because it has squeaked from time to time and re-installed the cover. It's pretty faint with the cover installed so I think I'll just wait a bit and see if it goes away. If not, I'll stop by the dealer and see if there's any chance warranty will cover it.

It's not impossible it was happening prior to wheel install and my HVAC was just turned up loud so I didn't realize it. I don't see any possible way I would have damaged the clock spring but it seems like that's the parts causing the noise after some disassembly.
      07-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

SUCCESS!!! Third time was the charm.

I took the wheel back off today and CAREFULLY (do not do this if you've never worked with one before) rotated the clock spring with the car off. Found the culprit. It was undoubtedly the clock spring.

I tried greasing everything non-electrical in sight and it made zero impact.

Eventually I pulled the steering column covers off and then pulled the clock spring front faceplate off. Turned the clock spring. Louder.

I greased everything in sight inside the clock spring assembly. No change. Frustration ensues.

Finally, I took a toothbrush, loaded it up with Shin-Etsu grease, and stuck it inside between the white and black plastic bits. Turned the clock spring and finally. FINALLY no more noise! Tested it about 20 times after greasing and confirmed success. No clock spring replacement needed at this time!
Attached Images