ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Zoomby_U
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

To All The Fellow Z4M Supersprint Owners ...

Hello All,

Just had my Supersprint Sport/Race mufflers installed on the stock x-pipe and the sound is epic! However I was just wondering from other owners if yours gets louder as the car reaches operating temp? I am just concerned of an exhaust leak at the gasket even though everything looks good and I can't see any visible exhaust from revving the engine. Anyways here are my observations so far ... just wanted to compare:

1) The exhaust sounds pretty much like stock when first starting and driving the car from cold and revving, just a slight bit louder

2) Once it fully warms up then it is VERY deep and sweet sounding down low up to about 3500-4000RPM and then it mellows out completely to almost stock levels so you can hear sweet S54 working its magic

3) In 3rd and beyond when you really get on the gas at 2500RPM or more again it is very deep and loud and you can really feel the vibrations until it mellows out again above 4500RPM

4) I love the sound but it seems pretty loud in the cabin (but nice outside) and I was wondering if anyone else has put some sound dampening in the trunk to dull the noise a bit?

- Also what is the best way to check for exhaust leaks at the flange? The shop re-used the stock gaskets when they installed, however I found the bolts weren't really tightened all the way so I gave it another good 1/2 turn when I got home. BTW the SS are used and should be broken in with about 6000KM's on them.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I´m going to order the X-Pipe and Mufflers for my euro Z4M. I´m still unsure about sport/race mufflers. Most of the Supersprint Z4M reviews I read are from american owners, but as euro Z4Ms are very different in headers/cats, I wonder if the combo X-Pipe+Race Mufflers are too much of a good thing. I don´t want to use earplugs when on the highway but I´d like to get a nice and racing sound. Race is well cheaper and Sport looks nicer to me with its wider tips.

Did anybody hear a euro Z4M with a Supersprint or owns it and can describe the experiencie?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Matjo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé

I've driven a euro Z4M w/ SS X-pipe + Race and I was surprised it didn't sound louder since everybody says its the loudest setup you can run with aftermarket exhausts. So I would say that the setup will please you, nice race sound and not too loud at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matjo View Post
I've driven a euro Z4M w/ SS X-pipe + Race and I was surprised it didn't sound louder since everybody says its the loudest setup you can run with aftermarket exhausts. So I would say that the setup will please you, nice race sound and not too loud at all.

Curious, always thought it was the loudest set-up as well. Maybe I should give race a try after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
BurnouTT-M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M/// Coupe

Stop! I ve also owned a supersprint SS. On my german M it was horrible loud between 2500 - 3500 RPM. The problem is not the noise or anything else it's the cabine drone which sucks. Now I got a Remus and after a while of driving it sounds pretty good to me...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnouTT-M View Post
Stop! I ve also owned a supersprint SS. On my german M it was horrible loud between 2500 - 3500 RPM. The problem is not the noise or anything else it's the cabine drone which sucks. Now I got a Remus and after a while of driving it sounds pretty good to me...

This is the reason why I´m thinking of the Sport (Powerloop) Supersprint instead of the Race version. I think the drone in the euro ZM would be way too much for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

The problem I had with the Race on my car was the drone. It was not too loud it did sound good outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
OutOn
zetero
Spain
Rep

Another question for you Supersprint owners. What´s the effect in sound of the X-Pipe? Anybody tried with and without the X-Pipe?
I´ve always thought that it doesn´t make any difference at idle speed or when cruising but makes a louder sound when at high rpm or at WOT. Am I right on this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOn View Post
Another question for you Supersprint owners. What´s the effect in sound of the X-Pipe? Anybody tried with and without the X-Pipe?
I´ve always thought that it doesn´t make any difference at idle speed or when cruising but makes a louder sound when at high rpm or at WOT. Am I right on this?

Thanks!
It makes a little difference
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Zoomby_U
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOn View Post

Thanks!
My setup is with the stock X-Pipe and the SS Race cans ... I assume the X-Pipe would make it even louder ... but should add some power.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
Appreciate 0