BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2020, 06:20 AM   #1
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

swapping tires

I will be picking up my x5 this afternoon. I ordered winter tire set (tire plus rims) because it's mandatory in Quebec to have winter tires. Dealer is offering to store and swap the tires. But obviously, I need to pay twice a year for this service. For all my previous cars, I've always have winter tires on rims so I can swap them myself. However, all my previous cars are not as sophisticated as x5, so there's nothing special. I. am wondering if there's anything special for x5? Mechanically swapping the tires is probably the same as all other cars, but I am not sure if the TPMS will need to be calibrated each time?

Anyone who can share some experiences?

Thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Nope. Piece of cake. As soon as you put the TPMs back on the car, the car will recognize them after a few minutes. "Worst" case scenario, you may have to do a quick reset through i-drive.

Do yourself a favor, buy another set of TPMs for your car. You can get them on eBay for a little over $100, and you can have a set installed in both sets of rims. No mounting and dismounting of tires/TPMs twice per year.

Then, you can keep your extra set of wheels/tires/TPMs in your own house, pay no one, and then swap them out in your driveway with nothing more than a lugwrench and a floor jack.

There is no "mechanical" difference between X5 wheels and anything else. Even TPMs are installed on all new cars, so even that isn't "special"

My only advice.... is to make sure their equipment can handle the SIZE of tires, particular the rears on OEM 21s or 22s. Some older shops have old tire machines not equipped to handle those size wheels/tires. Ask them directly. If they give you a "wishy washy" answer.... it means "we don't know, but we'll try it so we get your money"..... and you might just get a badly scratched or gouged set of rims back.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the condition of your wheels CLOSELY before you leave the establishment, and point it out to the manager BEFORE you leave if there is damage. Even the most modern, high-tech shops hire high school dropouts and ex-cons that could care less if they damage your vehicle. If you leave and then discover it when you get home.;... the shop will just say you curbed something after you left.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      07-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Nope. Piece of cake. As soon as you put the TPMs back on the car, the car will recognize them after a few minutes. "Worst" case scenario, you may have to do a quick reset through i-drive.

Do yourself a favor, buy another set of TPMs for your car. You can get them on eBay for a little over $100, and you can have a set installed in both sets of rims. No mounting and dismounting of tires/TPMs twice per year.

Then, you can keep your extra set of wheels/tires/TPMs in your own house, pay no one, and then swap them out in your driveway with nothing more than a lugwrench and a floor jack.

There is no "mechanical" difference between X5 wheels and anything else. Even TPMs are installed on all new cars, so even that isn't "special"

My only advice.... is to make sure their equipment can handle the SIZE of tires, particular the rears on OEM 21s or 22s. Some older shops have old tire machines not equipped to handle those size wheels/tires. Ask them directly. If they give you a "wishy washy" answer.... it means "we don't know, but we'll try it so we get your money"..... and you might just get a badly scratched or gouged set of rims back.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the condition of your wheels CLOSELY before you leave the establishment, and point it out to the manager BEFORE you leave if there is damage. Even the most modern, high-tech shops hire high school dropouts and ex-cons that could care less if they damage your vehicle. If you leave and then discover it when you get home.;... the shop will just say you curbed something after you left.
Thanks for the reply. I think the winter set I bought should have it's own TPMS. So there's no programming needs to be done when swapping tires with TPMS? For some reason, I was always under the impression that the car recognize one set of TPMS. So when swapping, it needs to be re-calibrated to work with the other set. I guess I was wrong then...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #4
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post

+1. Invest in another set of TPMS. It's less of a hassle that way..
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      07-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Remember after swapping to change the tyre size in I drive to the new wheel on the rear axle. This recalibrated the speedo i believe . Also i invested in a tyre hanger of eBay. It just screws into one of the lug holes to align your wheel easier. Those 22 are a pita, to lift and mount . Easy to tear a bicep if not done correctly.!!!!!
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      07-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So I picked up my car today. Happy as a clam..

For my order, I opted out 22" to 20". Yes, it's not a staggered setup, but I don't think those 22" will be good for Quebec's pothole roads.

I asked my sales how much do they charge to swap tires. He said $2XX..Can you believe they charge $200 for this? It's even mounted on rims. He told me the first time it's free. I will then decide if I want to bring the tires home. There's no way I am paying $400 a year just to swap tires...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      08-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #7
mavjay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Tpms is self learn after it's programmed to your car. Just get a second set of tpms for your winters and swap it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Congrats on finally picking up the car!

Second set of rims with TPMS and mounted winter tires are the way to go. As everyone says, TPMS is straight forward. For changing wheels yourself, there are a couple of items besides a jack, torque wrench, and lug bolt socket that are useful:

- because German cars use lug bolts (not lug nuts) with threaded holes in hub (not threaded studs in the hub), and because SUV wheels are big and heavy, a pair of wheel hangers is very useful to have; I have a pair of these that I (and at least several other members here) use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382855935643

- I don't believe we've yet discovered or discussed a single front and rear jack point for jacking up the entire front end or rear end at a time; as such, if you jack up just a corner using the factory corner jack points, a jack adapter is very useful; I have a few of these that I use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133345901695

- for the lug bolt socket, one wrapped in a Teflon sleeve or otherwise protected will reduce the chance of scratching your wheels; here is one that I use: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5BXDSG/

The other thing to mention is that above is all pretty easy if you get a professional shop or BMW dealer to source the winter rims for you. If you source the rims yourself, there is some non-trivial complexity with rim offsets, hub sizing, and quite possibly use of spacers and/or hub ring adapters, locking and non-locking lug bolt lengths, and inside rim clearance sizing to clear the big M Sport brakes. You also need to make sure TPMS are compatible. And you obviously need to select the right tire sizes for the rims. BMW dealer or a pro shop will do the hard work of matching everything up for you, however; at an "appropriate" cost premium.
      08-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

Second set of rims with TPMS and mounted winter tires are the way to go. As everyone says, TPMS is straight forward. For changing wheels yourself, there are a couple of items besides a jack, torque wrench, and lug bolt socket that are useful:

- because German cars use lug bolts (not lug nuts) with threaded holes in hub (not threaded studs in the hub), and because SUV wheels are big and heavy, a pair of wheel hangers is very useful to have; I have a pair of these that I (and at least several other members here) use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382855935643

- I don't believe we've yet discovered or discussed a single front and rear jack point for jacking up the entire front end or rear end at a time; as such, if you jack up just a corner using the factory corner jack points, a jack adapter is very useful; I have a few of these that I use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/133345901695

- for the lug bolt socket, one wrapped in a Teflon sleeve or otherwise protected will reduce the chance of scratching your wheels; here is one that I use: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N5BXDSG/

The other thing to mention is that above is all pretty easy if you get a professional shop or BMW dealer to source the winter rims for you. If you source the rims yourself, there is some non-trivial complexity with rim offsets, hub sizing, and quite possibly use of spacers and/or hub ring adapters, locking and non-locking lug bolt lengths, and inside rim clearance sizing to clear the big M Sport brakes. You also need to make sure TPMS are compatible. And you obviously need to select the right tire sizes for the rims. BMW dealer or a pro shop will do the hard work of matching everything up for you, however; at an "appropriate" cost premium.
Do you find the wheel hangers scratch the wheels? This has been the reason I never have bought any.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Quote:

Do you find the wheel hangers scratch the wheels? This has been the reason I never have bought any.
No, I haven't found that. But if you are worried (and now I slightly am :-)), wrap them in masking tape.
      08-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
No, I haven't found that. But if you are worried (and now I slightly am :-)), wrap them in masking tape.
I wish they made some that are Teflon coated like some of the sockets. I haven’t been able to find a set.

I guess they should only touch the inside of the lug area that will be scratched anyway.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      08-01-2020, 09:41 PM   #12
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed list. Right now, I am working on get a spare kit like the one you DIYed. Got the complete parts list, ask dealer to quote. It will run me about $1,500 for the spare kit. Trying to source somewhere else
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

because German cars use lug bolts (not lug nuts) with threaded holes in hub (not threaded studs in the hub), and because SUV wheels are big and heavy, a pair of wheel hangers is very useful to have; I have a pair of these that I (and at least several other members here) use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382855935643
So Mercedes and Audi also uses lug bolts with threaded hubs instead of studs for their wheels? Wondering why? Seems not a service-friendly design

Quote:
I ordered my winter rim/tire from the dealer. part of the overall deal. Part number 36112462592
735 Ferric Grey Winter Wheel/Tire
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
Quote:
The other thing to mention is that above is all pretty easy if you get a professional shop or BMW dealer to source the winter rims for you. If you source the rims yourself, there is some non-trivial complexity with rim offsets, hub sizing, and quite possibly use of spacers and/or hub ring adapters, locking and non-locking lug bolt lengths, and inside rim clearance sizing to clear the big M Sport brakes. You also need to make sure TPMS are compatible. And you obviously need to select the right tire sizes for the rims. BMW dealer or a pro shop will do the hard work of matching everything for you, however; at an "appropriate" cost premium.
I ordered my winter rim/tire from the dealer. part of the overall deal. Part number 36112462592
If BMW says those will fit over you M Sport brakes, looks like a great choice. But BMW Canada has been insisting for a while (incorrectly) that 19" rims don't fit over M Sport brakes. I would dig a little deeper with them to make sure.
      08-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #15
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The other thing to mention is that above is all pretty easy if you get a professional shop or BMW dealer to source the winter rims for you. If you source the rims yourself, there is some non-trivial complexity with rim offsets, hub sizing, and quite possibly use of spacers and/or hub ring adapters, locking and non-locking lug bolt lengths, and inside rim clearance sizing to clear the big M Sport brakes. You also need to make sure TPMS are compatible. And you obviously need to select the right tire sizes for the rims. BMW dealer or a pro shop will do the hard work of matching everything for you, however; at an "appropriate" cost premium.
If BMW says those will fit over you M Sport brakes, looks like a great choice. But BMW Canada has been insisting for a while (incorrectly) that 19" rims don't fit over M Sport brakes. I would dig a little deeper with them to make sure.
When I was shopping, three dealers gave the same offering. So I would assume it should be fine. Otherwise, they will need to give me something that fits
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      08-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #16
Paul645
Bob
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Any Recommendations on 20" Non-Staggered, All Season Tires

I have a 2020 G05 and I'm not satisfied with the Bridgestone Alenza OEM tires. The vehicle feels "squirrely" and is significantly affected by modest cross winds. The dealer says the suspension and alignment are all good.

Any recommendations for an all-season tire, run-flat or non-run-flat, that may reduce the squirrely feeling and improve on-the-highway road feel? I live in Delaware so deep snow is an infrequent occurance.

Thank you,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #17
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

because German cars use lug bolts (not lug nuts) with threaded holes in hub (not threaded studs in the hub), and because SUV wheels are big and heavy, a pair of wheel hangers is very useful to have; I have a pair of these that I (and at least several other members here) use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382855935643
So Mercedes and Audi also uses lug bolts with threaded hubs instead of studs for their wheels? Wondering why? Seems not a service-friendly design
Yap. And Porsche. And VW.

It seems no one knows definitively why stud/lug nut vs wheel bolt is better or worse, but there are numerous advantages and disadvantages to both. Even R&T and their "experts" don't know why, LOL: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...nce-explained/

Non-exhaustively:
- bolts can be replaced when damaged more cheaply than studs
- dragging your wheel on a stud during mount/dismount can and does damage stud thread and then see first point
- hub assembly is simpler and lighter without studs and can be QC'd simpler as well
- bolts dramatically increase rim specification flexibility (including using spacers) relative to fixed length studs ie you can use thicker (or thinner) than stock rims (and spacers) by just adjusting the bolt length (can't adjust stud length)
- I suppose you can make bolts be sacrificial, but I don't know if that's done; in other words, make bolts softer than hub thread so that the replaceable bolt is damaged (instead of hub) if mounting goes wrong (overtorque, misthread, load bending, etc.)
- good cars (like ours) use hubcentric design and that, besides being by far the best engineered approach to mounting wheels, reduces the mounting difficulties with bolts as the rim can hang on the hub centre (with light pressure support, don't let it free hang without holding it) during bolt alignment; but pins still help a lot
- etc.