Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA G21 M340i, G20 M340d, or Tesla Model S?

08-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #1
networkn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 Touring

G21 M340i, G20 M340d, or Tesla Model S?

Hi.

I have a 2015 F31 335d Touring which I absolutely *love*. My favourite thing about it is how it handles. I have the Adaptive Suspension and Variable Sport Steering options, and when I come out of a corner it feels like a million dollars. It doesn't get that jumpy feeling that some cars do - including my previous 2011 E90 335i RWD - where you head into a corner and the surface isn't perfect and it feels like it could let go end up in a tree.

I have taken two reasonably placid drives in the G21 M340i Touring and whilst the reviews are always glowing, I just didn't feel connected to it the way I expected. I know there is a G21 M340d now too, but unfortunately they aren't bringing it here to NZ. I have a good offer to trade my 335d for an M340i Touring fully loaded and was happy as Larry until I heard about the M340d Touring.

I also have been toying with the idea of going to the Tesla Model S (75D, plenty of power for me). What I haven't been able to do is take it for a really good hard drive and I won't be able to.

I know it's a BMW forum, but I am interested in hearing from anyone who might be prepared to give me some feedback. Specifically, handling. Like my 335d, I want a car that is flat, and stable whilst driving around corners, even if I am doing so in a spirited manner. For those who have driven the F3x 335d, G2x M340i/d, and the Tesla Model S, how would you compare them?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #2
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Have you considered the new 330d? Saw one at Coombes Johnston in Hamilton last week, great looking car in the flesh and not common here in NZ at all
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
networkn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20NZ View Post
Have you considered the new 330d? Saw one at Coombes Johnston in Hamilton last week, great looking car in the flesh and not common here in NZ at all

Thanks, it's probably going to end up being quite a downgrade from the 335D I have now.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Wow NZ gets some cool BMWs Australia does not get.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Wow NZ gets some cool BMWs Australia does not get.
NZ also has some of the world's best scenic roads. (Feeling kinda depressed right now in Melbourne's stage 4 lockdown. *sigh*)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
NZ also has some of the world's best scenic roads. (Feeling kinda depressed right now in Melbourne's stage 4 lockdown. *sigh*)
I'm so depressed I don't even bother washing the car as it gets dirty from the bad weather we're having.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post
Hi.

I have a 2015 F31 335d Touring which I absolutely *love*. My favourite thing about it is how it handles. I have the Adaptive Suspension and Variable Sport Steering options, and when I come out of a corner it feels like a million dollars. It doesn't get that jumpy feeling that some cars do - including my previous 2011 E90 335i RWD - where you head into a corner and the surface isn't perfect and it feels like it could let go end up in a tree.

I have taken two reasonably placid drives in the G21 M340i Touring and whilst the reviews are always glowing, I just didn't feel connected to it the way I expected. I know there is a G21 M340d now too, but unfortunately they aren't bringing it here to NZ. I have a good offer to trade my 335d for an M340i Touring fully loaded and was happy as Larry until I heard about the M340d Touring.

I also have been toying with the idea of going to the Tesla Model S (75D, plenty of power for me). What I haven't been able to do is take it for a really good hard drive and I won't be able to.

I know it's a BMW forum, but I am interested in hearing from anyone who might be prepared to give me some feedback. Specifically, handling. Like my 335d, I want a car that is flat, and stable whilst driving around corners, even if I am doing so in a spirited manner. For those who have driven the F3x 335d, G2x M340i/d, and the Tesla Model S, how would you compare them?
Forgive my ignorance, but can you get the M340 Touring with XDrive and a LSD? I’m pretty sure, this would fix your desire to pull through a corner nice and flat with max acceleration, especially if you crank it up to Sports or Sports Plus. It certainly is the case with my M340i xDrive saloon/sedan (whatever it’s called......non-Touring).
In Sports Plus mode, through some swift but tight corners, the suspension becomes noticeably firmer to the point that passengers become almost alarmingly aware! (They don’t have a steering wheel to hang on to). For the driver.......pure joy!
      08-07-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi.

Quote:
Hi.

I looked at a Model S before I bought my M340i. Only because I thought it was time I ought to consider electric. The interior design and quality didn't do anything for me, so I didn't even ask if I could drive it. Sure it has plenty of power, but I couldn't live with it in my garage. And I'm 100% happy with my M340i so Im glad I didn't investigate a Tesla further.
I would think an M340i wagon would do everything you need and more.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G20NZ View Post

Thanks, it's probably going to end up being quite a downgrade from the 335D I have now.
absolutely loved my 2011 335D - one of my favorite BMWs I've owned over 3 decades - the torque was addictive - I miss it but sold it to a good home at nearly 100k miles (i've never kept a car in the stable that long) so that helped - what an amazing car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0