BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Range Rover SVR

Has anyone crossed shopped the x5m and SVR? Thoughts. Just curios. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Old vs. New

I'll be looking to get into an X5M when my current lease is up, so I did take a look at the SVR.

I would say there's not much of a comparison performance wise. I'd say sound from that V8 is heavily in the SVR's favor, but BMW wins for everything else.

The SVR has Land Rover's older tech, its long-dreaded reliability problem, low residual so bad for leasing, higher price for similar equipment, reduced off-road capability due to the tire setup, and is just flat out slower than the X5M in almost every capacity due to weight and transmission logic. It also won't handle like an X5 around corners. I believe the M50i is a better performance metric for the SVR.

Also remember, being a Range Rover, there's almost no real discount on them.

The SVR is pretty much a status symbol + cool sound machine. That carbon fiber hood option is pretty sick though.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback.... I am actually looking at a used 2020 x5m at United BMW... I am also cross shipping the x7 m50i....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

X5M > X7 M50i

Having sat in an X7 and X5, I would say the only real reason for me to get an X7 is if I had kids and needed a third row.

X7 is a very large vehicle and it feels it, even with the optional Dynamic Handling package.

Also, I've never driven a RR SVR, but have driven the HST 5.0 Liter V8 (one step under SVR) and it drives like a boat. You sit up really high and it really kills the driving dynamic. And, the X7 I felt even drove better than the RR.

My vote would be for the X5M!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep

The x7 m50i from what I read can get up and go too... It can do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds which is very impressive....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:49 AM   #6
MmYes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC

Having both SUVS (2018 RR SVR) and X5MC, id say the SVR trades off quite a bit of performance for more luxury versus the X5M.

The SVR can tow (was told not to tow with x5m to preserve chassis rigidity) and no towing packages currently available, is more comfortable, luxurious, classy, slower and more clumsy versus the X5MC. X5M looks sharper overall, but sits quite high. SVR has air suspension which will automatically adjust height which x5m does not. Audio with meridan audio versus B&W, i prefer SVR due to the huge amounts of soft and rich bass at lower volumes making it effortless and a blast to be in, versus on X5M you would only achieve it by cranking the volume to painful listening levels and the bass would be sharp.. If listening at regular volume, bass isnt really where i like it to be. The f80 HK audio suffers the same. With the X5MC on pilot 4s tires, you can easily throw it into tripple digit sweepers and things you would only expect in a sports car like a f80 M3 for example and itll respond with confidence and results. The SVR on the other hand, you would definately dial it down, question it a bit and the confidence feeling is missing. Stock for stock, svr does sound more agressive and makes cool burble noises. X5M makes turbo spool, intake and by pass valve noises which SVR does not make. Just my quick impressions
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
bjornb
Private
Rep
Drives: Anything i like :)

I was considering a sport svr in the color Forest green this would be 1 of 1 in Europe, But however the quality of the X5M is much better. The screens work much better, the finish! the x5m drives better in my opinion aswell! The svr does sound good with its Supercharger but the screens in the SVR are buggy and not always working correctly. X5MC you can have massage seats, cooled cup holders all these things are not possibble on the svr.

I tried both of them for a weekend and the x5m is a much better car, rear seats are also much better as in the SVR.. So now i have gone for an X6MC in tanzanite blue which should arrive 1st week of september.

I would always take an X5MC over the SVR that's my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep

Great thoughts folks..... Thank you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Crumbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M Mineral White

awesome i was thinking of the same, now the decision is coming down to M5 v X5M for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #10
Skyracer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

Very different vehicles.

SVR is much more of a hot rod SUV - the engine is front and centre, and from a sound and throttle response perspective absolutely kills the X5M IMO. It is more capable towing and probably more capable off road, but who does the latter with these types of vehicles, anyway?

The X5M does pretty much everything else better than the SVR - outright grip, handling, build/materials quality, tech. And although its engine may not have the subjective advantages of the supercharged V8, it will certainly outperform it.

Styling is an entirely separate matter, a matter of personal taste. I think the SVR looks more minimalist (without the stupid carbon hood) and clean, but the X5M looks more aggressive and performance oriented.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep

Crumbs I am still thinking about getting m5 as well.... only bummer is 2021 LCI m5....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

My wife has a new SVR. It’s a beast. Sexy and has a wicked exhaust note. However, I was able to test drive a 21 X5M competition package yesterday. Whoaaa!!!!!! It’s faster, handles better, and has an interior that equals or surpasses the SVR (don’t tell my wife that, lol). I had originally planned to roll out of my X5 50i into the X5 M50, but now I’m seriously considering the X5M. I didn’t like the feel of the X7, felt too big to me, but it is very nice. But for me, I would pick the X5M all day, and get the competition package....
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymalu View Post
Thanks for the feedback.... I am actually looking at a used 2020 x5m at United BMW... I am also cross shipping the x7 m50i....

The X7 M50i loaded is more opulent than both. It’s a different animal than the mid size SUV’s. Ride in “comfort’ is in a completely different zip code of smoothness. I think real world 0-60 is going to be in the 4 flat draggy times at my elevation. “Sport Plus” is shockingly agile and hides its size on the twisty mountain roads but it’s not going to feel like a X5M that is set up for that kind of driving. So it’s all what you want.
I will do some X7 M50i DHP testing soon but I know it’s faster than it’s reported specs. I owned one new RR for 7 months of hell and never again. The X5M Comp is what you want if ultimate speed is what you are after. The X7 M50i is more of a “Masters of the Universe” experience.

Air ride also let’s you slam the X7 down eliminating wheel/fender gap for the stance.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-09-2020 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
Nate1616
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Have both a 2016 RR supercharged full size and 2017 RR sport Hse and test drove an x5 (non-m) as well as a 2019 SVR before I got a 2020 M550. So I had a good feel for how the X5 in general felt as a better comparison to Range Rovers since I have both. I would say honestly the X5 in terms of body movement, sway, and just high actually feels more like the full size Range Rover and not the sport. I felt much lower in my sport after I drive the X5. Be it that NOBODY get a Range Rover for its performance no matter what trim level it is is exactly like what people have said in these posts. The bmw is much more of a drivers car and the performance compared to the SVR which in my opinion is a loud luxury car. There is really no performance to me as Thats never what a Range Rover has been built to do. I also agree the tech in Range Rover compared to bmw is awful. Just so many disappointments with such dumb stuff. Random turn off of nav screen. Bluetooth disconnects ever other day. The list goes on and on. If performance is what you are looking for the get the X5M. I've had range rovers for the last 15 years. And the brand has totally diverted off what they originally were. It has become a lexus to me and not that much fun anymore.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56246.00
      08-09-2020, 11:46 PM   #15
Crimsonboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymalu View Post
Has anyone crossed shopped the x5m and SVR? Thoughts. Just curios. Thanks.
I’ve had the RR not the X5M, currently in an X7. I would never own a RR again. Maintenance nightmare, and the Panasonic screens they use along with the software might be the worst I’ve ever seen. Slow, glitchy and freezes.

Performance wise, it’s a tank. Sounds good, looks good, average on all performance metrics.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #16
daddymalu
Lieutenant
Rep

What about resale value? Which will hold up better?
Appreciate 0