E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help I get my car next Thursday

06-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

Help I get my car next Thursday

I bought the $85 pack from Zaino so I think I will be prepared. But I have a few questions:

First off I plan on getting the 3M clear film on the front of the car. I have heard that you can polish this film just like the rest of the car, is this for real? Also should I do anything before it gets put on the car like wash it with dawn or go through the whole Zaino process. I am not quite sure what the surface needs to be like or what might get "trapped" under there.

I have also heard conflicting statements about the use on the "claybar" on the new finish of a car. As I have never used this product befre I am unfamiliar with the rules of its use. Can I use it right away or should I wait. Is it possibly something I should do to the car before the film gets put on? If it is necessary to wait please advise how long to wait.

As far as Zaino, I have read the directions for use and they are pretty in depth. Can you guys give me the routines you use and how it works for you. So far all I got is "wash with dawn, then with Z7, coat of Z2 with ZFX, then Z6 or Z8, and repeat with Z2 and Z6 or Z8 as many coats as necessary. When do I insert the claybar step? How many coats do you guys recomend I was thinking about three?? After that is done what will I need to do for maintenance, just wash it with Z7 and then apply Z6 or Z8 again? How long will those three coats of polish last until I need to reapply? When I need to reapply do I strip it with dawn again or just wash it with Z7 and continue from the Z2 step as before. As time goes by should I claybar after I Z7 as my normal washing routine?

Anything I missed please feel free to enlighten me. My last black car turned to aligator skin in roughly 4 years so I am not going to let that happen again.

All your help is much appreciated!!

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
jetmechG550
Private
Rep
Drives: 02 325 Grey/Green

I don't have the 3M clear but I would figure you would be safe washing with dawn and then using the clay bar before it is applied. You should clay any vehicle, new off the boat, new sitting on the lot for 3 months or used before you Zaino. Washing with dawn removes grease and any wax residue. Using the clay bar removes any impurities in the paint. Definitely clay before your first coat of Zaino. My routine is as follows (after washing with dawn and using clay):
Wash with Z7, apply Z1 (I still have it and if the temps are above 70 I use it), apply Z2 directly over Z1, let cure (or if I use ZFX and not Z1) remove after it hazes up, wipe with Z6, second coat of Z2, wipe with Z6 and then final with Z8. I wouldn't use Z8 between coats, Z8 is a final and you'll absolutely love the finish it leaves! I apply Z2 about once a month, just cause I have the opportunity to spend the time with my car. I Z6 after every wash which is 1-2 times per week when I'm home. I think the recommend against applying more than three coats in one day, not sure why. I usually start over once I'm confident the weather has broken and they won't be throwing anymore salt/sand on the roads. HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks!!! Exactally what I am looking for. When you apply a new coat of Z2 a month later do you just wash before with Z7or claybar as well? How often will I "need" to claybar in a desert enviroment like Arizona?

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

After you wash and clay your car, then apply those first couple of coats of Z, feel the car's surface. You'll (hopefully) notice how smooth and glass-like the surface is. Your clean cotton towel should slide like its a hover craft. In the future, after you wash your car, feel it again. If it feels gritty or not as smooth, time for a clay bar again. The second and after times should not take as much time to clay. Don't just feel the hood, also try the panels just behind your wheels, where the sand and grit can accumulate. You don't have to clay the whole car if its just the rear panels. But if you do clay, you removed the Z as well, need to reapply to that area for sure.
Black in Arizona? OK, maybe don't touch the car except at night
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply...... Yeh my last car looked hidious I really think there was a major defect in the paint. It literally started to flake off into pieces and the whole thing turned white in 4 years. I am NEVER going to get a black car again. Everyone told me don't buy one but I was stupid and did anyway. I have much respect for the people that have black cars in AZ and can keep them looking nice. They are hot as a SOB as well, when it hits 115 degrees here its like 150 in a black car. Hopefully my new 325I being Titainum Silver Metallic should cure some of my woes.

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
jetmechG550
Private
Rep

Jes I only clay once a year, usually in the spring when the weather breaks. I wash with Z7 all the time, three caps full into the bucket I use. If your going to polish with Zaino you really should wash with it as well, as some or most washes won't be compatible and may actually take out that lovely finish you worked so hard to achieve! Everybody says I wash my car too much but why not if I have a place to do it and the time right. I just turned in a vehicle from a lease that looked better than any vehicle that ever rolled off that dealers lot, the guy that did the inspection was amazed. (Sorry wasn't a bimmer). HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep

Last question is about the "100% Made in America" cotton towels. I went to my local PepBoys and found some nice wash mitts and saw that all the towels are 100% cotton and they were like 2 bucks or a 3 pack for $5, they also had red and white ones. Are these good enough to use on the main parts of my car. I didn't really want to spend $40 a towell as I have seen on some websites. What makes these towels that are both 100% cotton different? Also what do you guys think about microfiber instead of the 100% cotton towels.

Oh yeh one last, thing does anyone use the California drybar or anything similar or is that some sort of no-no?

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
apex188
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Hi guys,

I'm pretty close to getting the Zaino pack ,however the concern I have is that I have the Artic White color. Any suggestions on how to tackle this color as with such a light coat of the Z2 or Z6 stuff, I wont be able to see the hazing effect etc..

also for washmitts, I currently use a Simoniz lambs wool one or something of that sort. They have microfibre ones also, would you know if the microfibre doesnt' scratch as much as the wool one?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
jetmechG550
Private
Rep

I use one of the lamb's wool mitts to wash without problem. Microfibers will work fine just don't buy cheap mf's towels. IMO, your better off with some decent soft terry towels instead of cheap microfiber. You'll see the hazing, you just have to either use the light in your garage and move you head alot to catch the angles or if your doing it outside the sunlight.
Appreciate 0