Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Something dumb I did

08-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Something dumb I did

This has been mentioned before, but thought I'd make a post to really hammer the point home.

I washed my 330e a couple of weeks ago. Then moved it the few feet needed to get it back under the carport. Due to the lock-down in Victoria, it sat there till 2 days ago when I needed to drive to the shops.

I got in, turned it on, and put it into R. But no movement. Some revs, still no movement. I tried both electric and Xtraboost (to get the ICE running) modes. At first I thought the gearbox was not engaging. I shifted between D and R, and didn't feel any bumps or small jumps.

Then thought maybe the handbrake wasn't releasing. But it made all the right noises and didn't how to check physically. I gave it some throttle in case the brakes were stuck. Nothing.

I put into neutral and tried to push it myself. Wasn't able to move it. I thought this is what happens to you when your gym has been closed for 4 months.

After 3 or 4 such attempts I rang BMW. We tried turning it off, locking and come back in to see if a reset did anything. It didn't, so he booked in a technician to come over. About an hour he estimated.

So while I was waiting, I decided to have a another go. This time there was a mighty bang, like the if the drive shaft snapped in half, but then it moved!

Looking at the disks later, I could see where the pads might have rusted onto the disk.

So the lesson is make sure you drive the car after a wash with a little bit of brake applied to clear the water. Has not been a problem before lock-down, certainly is now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Mate sorry to hear , I did always wonder after a wash the discs had the shampoo stuff marks on it, didnt know if that was bad for the car so you just confirmed it drive it after washing !! , but that's amazing 2 days and it rusts shut ....Good tip !!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
This is why I always drive a car after it has been washed and cleaned.
It only has to be a short distance.
Personally, I drive around the residential block that I live in (40 kph zone), and I left foot brake (very gently) while driving forwards for about 30% of the distance. I also brake and then accelerate, brake and accelerate. Total distance is approx 500 m.
The discs are then bright and shiny and ready for whatever length of time you need to leave the car in the garage.
I do this to all our cars and have never had the problem you described.
      08-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #4
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
This is why I always drive a car after it has been washed and cleaned.
It only has to be a short distance.
Personally, I drive around the residential block that I live in (40 kph zone), and I left foot brake (very gently) while driving forwards for about 30% of the distance. I also brake and then accelerate, brake and accelerate. Total distance is approx 500 m.
The discs are then bright and shiny and ready for whatever length of time you need to leave the car in the garage.
I do this to all our cars and have never had the problem you described.
This was one of those things I knew but never caused me problems when I didn’t do the right thing.
Will be very mindful from now on!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #5
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

This is especially imperative with German built cars . Drive after washing for a short distance.
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      08-30-2020, 12:44 AM   #6
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
This is especially imperative with German built cars . Drive after washing for a short distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR33R View Post
I wonder is it the washing chemicals that does this or the water or both
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:07 AM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I believe it is simply standard oxidisation of water on steel.
Anyone, please correct me if I’m wrong.
      08-30-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Hmm so presumably the same thing would happen if we drove home in the rain, and don't go out again for a few days?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:21 AM   #9
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Hmm so presumably the same thing would happen if we drove home in the rain, and don't go out again for a few days?
I guess in theory, yes. But if you’re on a proper drive then you probably apply the brakes close to the end of the trip. Washing the car in the driveway (and with a pressure washer like I use) probably makes the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
GTR33R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I believe it is simply standard oxidisation of water on steel.
Anyone, please correct me if I’m wrong.
Correct and German cars use very soft steel for rotors but that means they will stop somewhat better and wear out much quicker. As you wear set of pads the rotors are done too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
GTR33R
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post

No, because the rotors are hot as they cool down the water evaporates so they won't rust.
It doesn't take a few days for brown stuff to appear, next time you wash your car by the time you dry it check the rotors you see the colour changing in 20 minutes it takes you dry the body.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
This has been mentioned before, but thought I'd make a post to really hammer the point home.

I washed my 330e a couple of weeks ago. Then moved it the few feet needed to get it back under the carport. Due to the lock-down in Victoria, it sat there till 2 days ago when I needed to drive to the shops.

I got in, turned it on, and put it into R. But no movement. Some revs, still no movement. I tried both electric and Xtraboost (to get the ICE running) modes. At first I thought the gearbox was not engaging. I shifted between D and R, and didn't feel any bumps or small jumps.

Then thought maybe the handbrake wasn't releasing. But it made all the right noises and didn't how to check physically. I gave it some throttle in case the brakes were stuck. Nothing.

I put into neutral and tried to push it myself. Wasn't able to move it. I thought this is what happens to you when your gym has been closed for 4 months.

After 3 or 4 such attempts I rang BMW. We tried turning it off, locking and come back in to see if a reset did anything. It didn't, so he booked in a technician to come over. About an hour he estimated.

So while I was waiting, I decided to have a another go. This time there was a mighty bang, like the if the drive shaft snapped in half, but then it moved!

Looking at the disks later, I could see where the pads might have rusted onto the disk.

So the lesson is make sure you drive the car after a wash with a little bit of brake applied to clear the water. Has not been a problem before lock-down, certainly is now.
Not sure I could last 2 weeks without driving it. Maybe you could go for a sneaky daily drive around the block?

I've had my car 3 months now and I've driven it EVERY DAY. I may have a bit of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Not sure I could last 2 weeks without driving it. Maybe you could go for a sneaky daily drive around the block?

I've had my car 3 months now and I've driven it EVERY DAY. I may have a bit of a problem.
You need to look up the contact details for your local chapter of Automobiles Anonymous.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Me too.... me too
Appreciate 0