BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Is there a trick to getting the rear bumper reflectors installed?

I would guess that the mechanisms are the same, if not the shape, between the different variants of LCI, if any, and M sport vs non M sport.

My '15 M sport lost its driver's side rear bumper reflector somewhere, I'm guessing that it was either broken, and/or not fully seated after some kind of minor dealer-grade prep work on the rear bumper.

I got a new one and I can see that it 'slides' in and towards the driver's side, and then a spring clip on the passenger side of the reflector retains a solid hook against a slot in the bumper. But without forcing it I can't get it to pop in, so I wanted to bring it up here and be sure there isn't some other trick.
Anyone deal with this before?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
I would guess that the mechanisms are the same, if not the shape, between the different variants of LCI, if any, and M sport vs non M sport.

My '15 M sport lost its driver's side rear bumper reflector somewhere, I'm guessing that it was either broken, and/or not fully seated after some kind of minor dealer-grade prep work on the rear bumper.

I got a new one and I can see that it 'slides' in and towards the driver's side, and then a spring clip on the passenger side of the reflector retains a solid hook against a slot in the bumper. But without forcing it I can't get it to pop in, so I wanted to bring it up here and be sure there isn't some other trick.
Anyone deal with this before?
I had to remove and replace both reflectors in my rear bumper to install my trailer hitch. You should not have to put much force on them to get the springs on the hatch side of them to pop back in. It could be because yours is a new part, the spring is just stiff. You might try inserting a plactic pry tool in there to depress the spring as it starts to go into its slot.

FWIW, my reflectors required no manipulation to get back on. Just a slightly firm press and they snapped in pretty easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwj76 View Post
I had to remove and replace both reflectors in my rear bumper to install my trailer hitch. You should not have to put much force on them to get the springs on the hatch side of them to pop back in. It could be because yours is a new part, the spring is just stiff. You might try inserting a plactic pry tool in there to depress the spring as it starts to go into its slot.

FWIW, my reflectors required no manipulation to get back on. Just a slightly firm press and they snapped in pretty easily.
Hmm I'm wondering if there's an issue with the bumper opening, like it's too big for the spring to have anything to "grab" onto. I'll have to dig around for an image of the bumper there, or as a last resort remove the other side to compare.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Hmm I'm wondering if there's an issue with the bumper opening, like it's too big for the spring to have anything to "grab" onto. I'll have to dig around for an image of the bumper there, or as a last resort remove the other side to compare.
Yeah, I'd start with prying off the other side. You shouldn't have to pry too hard either. Mine both come off without much effort. It shouldn't feel as if you're going to break it.
Appreciate 0