Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Installing a tune on a leased 330i??

09-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
kirr89
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Installing a tune on a leased 330i??

So I've seen this type of question asked several times but I was curious if anyone has done this on their leased car? Anyone have experience with Penske group? Are they tough?

I was thinking to install the below tune and remove it any time I had to take the car to the dealer.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0047

Curious if its even worth the risk of the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
moto111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 mustang

Won’t work they can still trace it
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Was always under the impression you'd be fine with those piggyback tunes. I personally know a few people that had performance mods on leased cars w/o an issue. Sure, there is always a small chance, but I can't even recall hearing of someone having issues. Also, United BMW and Gwinnett place are authorized Dinan dealers, so you could always ask them.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditobimmer42 View Post
Was always under the impression you'd be fine with those piggyback tunes. I personally know a few people that had performance mods on leased cars w/o an issue. Sure, there is always a small chance, but I can't even recall hearing of someone having issues. Also, United BMW and Gwinnett place are authorized Dinan dealers, so you could always ask them.
Seriously? If you want to tune your car BUY it. You put your signature on the contract. Now stick to it!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
moto111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
Seriously? If you want to tune your car BUY it. You put your signature on the contract. Now stick to it!
And you are who? He can do w e he wants as long as he knows what bmw can do as well
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
kirr89
Private
Rep

Ideally I would do it to the car I want to buy but I don't want to buy this car. I'll probably be doing it in a couple of years from now when the lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
Quote:
And you are who? He can do w e he wants as long as he knows what bmw can do as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto111 View Post
Quote:
@moto111 Just because he knows the consequences does NOT make it okay. Nor can you commit a crime, just because you know what the law enforcement will do to you.

The BMW leasing contracts are very clear about altering the car. It's absolutely not allowed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Auditobimmer42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

lol it's really not that serious. People mod leased cars all the time. I have done cosmetic and performance mods within reason and sell the parts afterwards. Or you can buy the car at lease end or sell it at any point. Is it 100% free of risk? no. But chances are everything will be ok.
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      09-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
loonysup
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i MSport

Only supplying this as an anecdotal and cautionary tale. I leased an Ecoboost Mustang in 2015 (first year with that engine). I tuned the car with a reputable tuner when it had about 5000 miles on it. The engine blew at 11000 miles on my way home from work. The car sat at the Ford dealer for a month as Ford sent an engineer out to inspect it. It was the longest month of my life and every time I saw the dealers number on my phone I would cringe.

In the end they covered the full $9k replacement under warranty but I learned my lesson and would never put myself in that situation again.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
The BMW leasing contracts are very clear about altering the car. It's absolutely not allowed.
Hi Clausmoll
My tone here is friendly (and in no way is meant to be passive aggressive)

That said I am simply wondering what you are seeing that indicates that altering the car is absolutely not allowed

In the standard lease agreement I do not see anything that indicates altering the car is prohibited. I do see where in section 32-G the lease states that owners are responsible for any damage that aftermarket parts may cause but nothing prohibiting modification in general. And that's about as close as I can get to finding something

I am not an expert in these things so it is quite possible I missed something. Again just having a conversation

**EDIT** Just noticed that maybe you are outside the US - perhaps different terms in different markets?

ps- here's a (bad) scan of the area I was referring to for reference

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 09-29-2020 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: added edit
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #11
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

His location says DK which I assume to mean Denmark so the rules over there maybe different than the land of the free lol.
      09-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
loonysup
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i MSport

Whether or not it explicitly states that you can't tune or alter the car in the lease agreement, it's more about the warranty. If the engine blows and the manufacturer determines the cause was the tune, do you really want to be on the hook for a $10k engine replacement on a rented car?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
kirr89
Private
Rep

I'll call the dealer and see what they say. And definitely get it in writing. I figure since Dinan is accepted by BWM dealerships, the risk for them might be low. Anyways, I'll also what they say in regards to what is the policy if the car does get damaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
SeattleStefan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i X-Drive

Hey, former finance manager and longtime car biz person here, As long as you take everything off and make it stock(ish) at the end of your lease you'll be fine. I've leased 9 cars at this point and modded them all to some degree and have $0 in extra turn in charges at the end. My last car (Mercedes C300 4Matic) came with horrible runflat summer tires which were dangerous in the snow, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport AS's and kept the stock tires in storage until turn in time. I also had some pretty bad damage on my car but got lease protection (which I always recommend) So it was all covered. Before that I had a Mk6 Golf R which was APR stage 2 (ECU tune, Downpipe, custom exhaust) and I turned it in like that with 0 issues.

If you truly are worried about it, you have an option nobody's discussed here. 1) trade the car in before your lease is up. You might have some negative equity but at least you'll be free of any heartache if it comes down to it.

Also, keep in mind (again, former management at car dealers for 4 Major companies) unless they can specifically PROVE that your modification broke a part that is about to be warrantied, they cannot deny your warranty. It might be flagged in the system, but your iDrive breaking has nothing to do with an exhaust modification or anything like that. Even so, proving, without a shadow of a doubt, that a mod specifically broke something takes a lot of time and most dealers don't want to worry about it. Dealers make significantly MORE money from warranty claims than they do from out of pocket.
Appreciate 2
chenry2346.00
      09-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #15
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStefan View Post
Hey, former finance manager and longtime car biz person here, As long as you take everything off and make it stock(ish) at the end of your lease you'll be fine. I've leased 9 cars at this point and modded them all to some degree and have $0 in extra turn in charges at the end. My last car (Mercedes C300 4Matic) came with horrible runflat summer tires which were dangerous in the snow, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport AS's and kept the stock tires in storage until turn in time. I also had some pretty bad damage on my car but got lease protection (which I always recommend) So it was all covered. Before that I had a Mk6 Golf R which was APR stage 2 (ECU tune, Downpipe, custom exhaust) and I turned it in like that with 0 issues.

If you truly are worried about it, you have an option nobody's discussed here. 1) trade the car in before your lease is up. You might have some negative equity but at least you'll be free of any heartache if it comes down to it.

Also, keep in mind (again, former management at car dealers for 4 Major companies) unless they can specifically PROVE that your modification broke a part that is about to be warrantied, they cannot deny your warranty. It might be flagged in the system, but your iDrive breaking has nothing to do with an exhaust modification or anything like that. Even so, proving, without a shadow of a doubt, that a mod specifically broke something takes a lot of time and most dealers don't want to worry about it. Dealers make significantly MORE money from warranty claims than they do from out of pocket.
+1

I've worked at dealers for over a decade and I can agree with Seattlestefan.

The only time you'll ever be responsible for any damage is if it happens and if the dealer proves, without a doubt, it was the owner's fault.

As for the Dinan products, they are bulletproof and are tuned to run safely. There is a reason why at one point they were partnered with BMW NA and you could have these mods installed by the dealer and the warranty coverage continued - no matter what. Similar to Ford Performance parts.

I'm also leasing and modified my car - nothing crazy, but I did. Literally, no one cares unless you impact the resale value after the lease. Go for it and have fun.
Appreciate 2
chenry2346.00
kirr8928.00
      10-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirr89 View Post
So I've seen this type of question asked several times but I was curious if anyone has done this on their leased car? Anyone have experience with Penske group? Are they tough?

I was thinking to install the below tune and remove it any time I had to take the car to the dealer.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0047

Curious if its even worth the risk of the warranty.
Worth noting that the Dinantronics you linked is not yet compatible with the G20 platform. My understanding is that it is still in their queue to be developed.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #17
kirr89
Private
Rep

I just checked and I thought the 330i G20 has the B48 engine? Which is listed on the part description
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #18
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirr89 View Post
I just checked and I thought the 330i G20 has the B48 engine? Which is listed on the part description
yes
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #19
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

In America, it has the B46 engine. Not exactly the B48. Basically the same. Just some changes for emissions.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #20
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
FWIW and YMMV I've had my F32 flashed both ECU and TCU and have brought it in for standard service many times and my service agent hasn't said a thing.

It kind of depends on your relationship, as my service agent also suggested I tune and mod my car.

I own my car however but for standard service on a lease I would say look into your lease agreement, and if you are tight with your service guy, just ask him.

I hear JB4's and piggybacks can be undetectable but a flash your dealer when running diagnostics will see your flashes.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #21
SeattleStefan
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
FWIW and YMMV I've had my F32 flashed both ECU and TCU and have brought it in for standard service many times and my service agent hasn't said a thing.

It kind of depends on your relationship, as my service agent also suggested I tune and mod my car.

I own my car however but for standard service on a lease I would say look into your lease agreement, and if you are tight with your service guy, just ask him.

I hear JB4's and piggybacks can be undetectable but a flash your dealer when running diagnostics will see your flashes.
This.
Keep in mind too, most of the people working in the service department at a car dealer, especially a BMW dealer, are car people. They get it. Although the internet tells you otherwise, dealers are not out there to screw people over, they're in the business of creating and maintaining business first and foremost. As I said in my posts above, they make far more money from BMW for warranty claims than they ever would if you paid out of pocket. I would still Suggest to remove any traces of a tune before a warranty repair, especially if it involves the engine, but for services or any other type of warranty work (electronic or interior) you're good.

Also, general rule of thumb I've found in my short 27 years of life, Be honest. When you make an appointment tell them upfront that your car is tuned and if it would be better to remove the tune or keep it there or if they can avoid plugging it in all-together. I've done this for years and have built many friendships in the car world because of this.
Appreciate 0