BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

LCI Adaptive Xeon Headlight Leveler

I've been searching a lot on these headlights and a few threads have popped up about them.
I cleaned my engine bay and noticed there's no cap on my RH headlight. The next day it went bad and I got no low/high beam light and got a low beam malfunction warning in the system.
I figured the wire probably got toast along with the ballast.
While investigating to determine if it is or isn't the bulb, the RH headlight does not give you a lot of room to work with especially with the windshield washer reservoir in the way. After failing to get a grip to twist the bulb out, I thought maybe it'd be easier to take the plug out first.

With the bulb fully installed in the housing, I pushed on the connector and dislodged or maybe broke something in the leveling mechanism. The housing use to be secured, but now it is free to tilt vertically up and down. Couple days later my lights are working again. No codes or warning from system. But I really don't want to drive it and possibly blind oncoming drivers.

I'm still bringing it to a shop to see if they can fix and re-aim the lights but was wondering if anybody had any insight on what might have happened.

Hoping I don't know need an entire headlight assembly for my mistake...
This is why I can't work on my nicer cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

You either broke the adjuster or popped an adjuster out of its ball socket (I assume they have them on the f25 adjuster) most shops probably don’t repair that so start looking for a light
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
There's a replaceable servo motor with plastic shaft and ball that adjusts the headlight level. It's the triangular part on the back of the headlight. You may have broken the shaft.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

Seems too intricate for a shop to bother with.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
mike_MAN
Private
Rep

Update on this:
I went behind the headlight and pulled the projector up to aim it down.
With a little more force I think I popped it back into its socket. It works now and is the same level as the driver side's! Tilts up and down when turned on.

While I was testing the lights pointed at a wall, I noticed that they only swivel to the right and then back to center, but doesn't swivel to the left (driver side) when the wheel is turned past center. Fog lights still come on in both directions, but the projectors will swivel all the way to the right and then back to center but never to the left past center.
I think this is normal? as it might blind oncoming traffic and would be a safety hazard if it did.
Appreciate 0