BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

12-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Can the Carbon seats be used with a six point harness?

This might only effect a very small percentage of people that get the carbon seats, but for those that plan of taking their M3/M4 on the track, I wonder just how much work it will take to make the seats work with a 6 point harness setup.

Does anyone know what putting in a 6 way harness would entail with the carbon seats?

It looks like it will take A LOT of work compared to the Porsche carbon seats.

Porsche Carbon Seat: Seating surface is velcroed on for easy removal and the design allows a simple cut and sew in-between 2 sections for a very clean look for the harness access, along with the carbon seat having a slot cut in it from the factory (Fast and Cheap).

I know that these seats are mainly about the looks on the street, if BMW was really going for the "racing" market they would have saved even more weight by removing the motors for the power adjustment, but I know people that will be tracking with the carbons and hope to use 6 point and a harness/roll bar.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
From what I understand BMW did the exact same thing as Porsche. Granted, they do look great on the street, that's hardly the reason they developed this seat. (Truth be told the $4k this seat costs as an option is the main reason).

The seats have cutouts for the harness above the shoulders as well as on the side of the thighs. The head bolster is velcroed in to remove it should you wish to drive with a helmet on.

I'm not 100% sure about the installation of the harness parts between the legs, but looking at all the features they built in to the seat for the other parts, I guess they probably thought about that as well. But somebody else may be able to answer this better.

I think it will not be hard at all to fit a 6 point harness.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flamingi; 12-08-2020 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I think the optional CF bucket seats is one of the better features the G8X has going for it. I remember reading/seeing somewhere that they are designed for use on the track with 5/6 point harness and helmet, with shoulder belt cutouts, removable headrest cushion and removable pass through between the legs. Looking forward to having someone confirm.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-09-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM3 View Post
This might only effect a very small percentage of people that get the carbon seats, but for those that plan of taking their M3/M4 on the track, I wonder just how much work it will take to make the seats work with a 6 point harness setup.

Does anyone know what putting in a 6 way harness would entail with the carbon seats?

It looks like it will take A LOT of work compared to the Porsche carbon seats.

Porsche Carbon Seat: Seating surface is velcroed on for easy removal and the design allows a simple cut and sew in-between 2 sections for a very clean look for the harness access, along with the carbon seat having a slot cut in it from the factory (Fast and Cheap).

I know that these seats are mainly about the looks on the street, if BMW was really going for the "racing" market they would have saved even more weight by removing the motors for the power adjustment, but I know people that will be tracking with the carbons and hope to use 6 point and a harness/roll bar.
Yes, they should be ready for the harnesses. Also the headrest cushion is removable for helmet, as was stated already. I would just like to point out that it is not velcroed but there are screws holding it in place.

BMW M is really serious about the track possibilities of the car. You can order it from the factory on the semislicks...
Also there is detachable cover for the air vent to the front brakes to improve cooling on the track, and it is recomended to switch the racing brake pads before tracking the car (not for CCB). And list goes on
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      12-09-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
YellowF80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M3

But there is no harness bar for the belts, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowF80 View Post
But there is no harness bar for the belts, right?
Not really, as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
The seats have cutouts for the harness above the shoulders as well as on the side of the thighs.
I am pretty sure that the cutouts along the thigh are really "Oh Sh1t" grab handles, they are too far forward to be used with a harness.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM3 View Post
I am pretty sure that the cutouts along the thigh are really "Oh Sh1t" grab handles, they are too far forward to be used with a harness.
I didn't mean those cutouts in the carbon fiber, but at the seatbelt buckle area. Just like the porsche bucket seats, it is a deep cutout which allows the harness to be mounted there.

The cover is probably removable quite easily to allow the mounting points to be used for a six point harness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I honestly can't tell if the carbon bucket seats are functional fixed harness-able seats or if they're just //Marketing. It looks like at the very least you can use an ASM 4-point which is an improvement over the last generation.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
butraymond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m2c

Do you think the bucket seat can plug an play in m2c? Or any FX m3/m4?
Because of no holes on m2c seats, I'm looking for replace the seats for harness.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
I'd hope the seat pad is removable so you can make a 5/6 point work, if not that's an oversight on BMWs part.
As for fitting them into the F87 etc I'd suggest it's only a matter of time till the aftermarket releases a kit for doing that. Someone like Brey Krause or Macht Schnell will no doubt be looking at them.
I've just ordered a custom set of Cobra Nogaros for my F87 as I want a 1 piece seat but if I was after a 2 piece seat I'd be going with these & making them work.
Gotta love that GT3 interior, Porsche just 'know' how to do things right.
      12-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #12
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think the optional CF bucket seats is one of the better features the G8X has going for it. I remember reading/seeing somewhere that they are designed for use on the track with 5/6 point harness and helmet, with shoulder belt cutouts, removable headrest cushion and removable pass through between the legs. Looking forward to having someone confirm.
The carbon thing between the legs is removable?
      03-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Has anyone been able to determine if the carbon buckets are harness compatible?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #14
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

I believe the answer is yes. The headrest pad can be removed
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #15
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusAdam View Post
Yes, they should be ready for the harnesses. Also the headrest cushion is removable for helmet, as was stated already. I would just like to point out that it is not velcroed but there are screws holding it in place.

BMW M is really serious about the track possibilities of the car. You can order it from the factory on the semislicks...
Also there is detachable cover for the air vent to the front brakes to improve cooling on the track, and it is recomended to switch the racing brake pads before tracking the car (not for CCB). And list goes on
They are so serious about the track possibilities that they did the one thing most that disqualifies it as a track car for most of us (adding a sh*t ton of weight)? You'll get a VERY rare negative comment from me on that one. The majority of the people who regularly track their cars (myself included) won't even consider the car because of the weight. If they have it as a street car they will use a 2nd car as their track car.

It's the the M5 CS. People who can afford that are not likely to take it to the track because they have other options available.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #16
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
The carbon thing between the legs is removable?
I believe a reviewer (no idea which one, sorry) mentioned that the carbon fiber 'bump' is just a cover for a harness attachment point. I think they might even mention a 5-point, specifically. Not sure if that helps for a 6-point.
Appreciate 2
jmh600cbr265.00
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      03-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #17
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Has anyone been able to determine if the carbon buckets are harness compatible?
They are.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #18
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
They are so serious about the track possibilities that they did the one thing most that disqualifies it as a track car for most of us (adding a sh*t ton of weight)? You'll get a VERY rare negative comment from me on that one. The majority of the people who regularly track their cars (myself included) won't even consider the car because of the weight. If they have it as a street car they will use a 2nd car as their track car.

It's the the M5 CS. People who can afford that are not likely to take it to the track because they have other options available.
Well, I think generally speaking every new car adds a "sh*t ton of weight" As to why, every new car is slightly bigger, it has more technology, more safety regulations are in place and so on.
As overall package I think it is still better than to have a 4 cylinder + hybrid powertrain in this kind of car, dont you think?

I was just refering to all the information there was/is regarding the cars track capabilities. And from what I have seen in reviews so far, they all agreed that you wont even notice the incereased weight.
Which correlates with this:
Weight-to-power ratio 3.4 kg/Hp, 294.8 Hp/tonne - G80 comp
Weight-to-power ratio 3.5 kg/Hp, 288.5 Hp/tonne - F80 comp DCT

For example I drove the M8 Competition on the track, which is fairly heavier car and it was fun. But for me, this is the kind of car you dont want to track regularly, not the M3/M4.
Unfortunately, thanks to the pandemic, we were not able to have the training for new M3/M4 at the racetrack so I can only refer what I heard and saw in the videos.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:36 PM   #19
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
They are.
Is there a sub strap mount built into the factor carbon bucket seat?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 05:32 PM   #20
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
They are.
Is there a sub strap mount built into the factor carbon bucket seat?
There's a pass-thru under the cover. I doubt the mount is integrated into the seat itself as that defeats its purpose, but then again I wasn't exactly looking *that* close. The new GP Safety Cars have harnesses installed with the 2 piece M Carbon Bucket Seats so if the images haven't been released already, they'll be out in the near future.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #21
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

This is the under side of the seat
Attached Images

04-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil