BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
08focus1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Dealer visits

Hi all! New to the forum and new to BMW. I'm loving my 18 Phytonic Blue M40i. I recently did some coding to the car ie. Alpina cluster, auto start/stop deactivate, and a few other small things. My question is should I code the car back to default prior to any visits to my local dealer for service? It is still under factory warranty. I also can't decide on JB4 or MHD stage 1 tune. I like the idea of the piggy back so I can remove it prior to service visits.

Dealer maintenance worth it? Or just do it myself?(completely capable)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #2
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08focus1 View Post
Hi all! New to the forum and new to BMW. I'm loving my 18 Phytonic Blue M40i. I recently did some coding to the car ie. Alpina cluster, auto start/stop deactivate, and a few other small things. My question is should I code the car back to default prior to any visits to my local dealer for service? It is still under factory warranty. I also can't decide on JB4 or MHD stage 1 tune. I like the idea of the piggy back so I can remove it prior to service visits.

Thanks in advance!
So just my .02, but....

I never recoded my 19 G01 prior to service visits, nor did I even remove my JB+. Never had any issues. The only thing is that if the dealer needs to do a reflash due to any service issues, it will wipe out your changes and you'll need to recode. But that would be the same regardless.
      12-16-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
You do not say what type of coding you did, for example Bimmercode or E-sys and if some coding was temporary or permanent but assuming it was Bimmercode and therefore not permanent imho they will not even notice. The major risk you have is ,as already mentioned by shoptb, that coding would be lost if they do an update.

On a wider issue, it can depend on country and sometimes even dealership but most Bimmercode changes should not have any impact on warranty, you are often just making setting changes, which vary by market and are within vehicle standard specifications. Stop/start is a good example, in some markets it remembers last setting but in US and EU it defaults to active (probably environmental lobby), making this change does NOT damage the car and cannot be cited as a violation for warranty. In contrast coding the ACC cruise control gap/distance level to minimum, even if within setting options might backfire if you have a wreck and try and claim the ACC failed
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
08focus1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
You do not say what type of coding you did, for example Bimmercode or E-sys and if some coding was temporary or permanent but assuming it was Bimmercode and therefore not permanent imho they will not even notice. The major risk you have is ,as already mentioned by shoptb, that coding would be lost if they do an update.

On a wider issue, it can depend on country and sometimes even dealership but most Bimmercode changes should not have any impact on warranty, you are often just making setting changes, which vary by market and are within vehicle standard specifications. Stop/start is a good example, in some markets it remembers last setting but in US and EU it defaults to active (probably environmental lobby), making this change does NOT damage the car and cannot be cited as a violation for warranty. In contrast coding the ACC cruise control gap/distance level to minimum, even if within setting options might backfire if you have a wreck and try and claim the ACC failed
Thanks for the insight!!
Glad to know it really shouldn't effect the warranty.
Appreciate 0