BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Tire Chain Disclosure for 2021 X3 M40i

Hi All, This might be a stupid question but I am new here and haven't driven in a snowy area before.

When I got my new 2021x3 m40i I was asked to sign a tire chain disclosure at the time of delivery. I have attached the PIC for the same. It states that as Equipped the vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device.

My 2021 x3 m40i has 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires. I received them with factory-installed Bridgestone Alenza tires

1. Can someone explain what does this tire chain disclosure means and why tire chains may not be operated? Does everyone signs this disclosure or this is something specific to California? If I can't use tire chains what option do I have for other traction devices? My understanding was using tire chains in the snowy area was a default thing.

2. I am planning a trip to lake Tahoe this holiday season. Can I use the current tires to plan a trip to Lake Tahoe which has temp in the range of 30s? What precaution or another traction device I need to take from the viewpoint of safety as well as law compliance.

Thank you all for your help !!
Attached Images

2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Does the California law allow “or equivalent” all wheel drive or four wheel drive systems? I spent a winter in Colorado and had no issues with a German AWD SUV and the law.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Does the California law allow “or equivalent” all wheel drive or four wheel drive systems? I spent a winter in Colorado and had no issues with a German AWD SUV and the law.
I'm not very familiar with California laws as I moved in recently, someone with more expertise kindly chime in and provide the guidance. Thanks.
2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #4
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

From what I can tell, the state of California just requires that disclosure. Not that Cali bans chains. Not a lawyer nor a Cali resident, so take it as you will.

That said, this is what the manual says about chains.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
Tyre chains are so last century!
Winter tyres are what you really need!
They are amazing in low temperature and snowy weather - especially compared to summer run-flats.
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 2
Kingpin4386.50
Alias1431799.50
      12-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #6
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nord1899 View Post
From what I can tell, the state of California just requires that disclosure. Not that Cali bans chains. Not a lawyer nor a Cali resident, so take it as you will.

That said, this is what the manual says about chains.
Thanks for the reference, looks like BMW don't recommend tire chain on any rims >19 inches to avoid any damage or scraping as a precautionary measure although on my 20-inch rims also I see good enough space/clearance to fit snow chains.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi,
Tyre chains are so last century!
Winter tyres are what you really need!
They are amazing in low temperature and snowy weather - especially compared to summer run-flats.
Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, I completely agree but in the norcal bay area I live winter hardly last for a month and we don't require any winter tire moving locally, it is a good idea to have one if you are planning trips to Tahoe or Yosemite, etc during this time. But buying, keeping, and maintaining winter tires for such small use looks like too much work, time, and money. So was curious if it can be achieved with the current tire setup and some additional equipment. Any suggestions in this regards are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
nord1899
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Depending on how often you plan on traveling to where it snows, you might consider swapping the OE Bridgestone Alenzas which are summer tires and instead get some ultra high performance all seasons. Something like Bridgestone G-Force Comp-2 A/S+ or Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. These would be a little less performance on dry summer days. But will provide sufficient traction in snow to visit those places infrequently.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life and travel to Tahoe and Reno many times a year including 13 hour drive back from Reno in the winter. Ever since we have had suvs (20 years) I have never needed chains. They were all either 4wd or Awd vehicles. As mentioned, the disclaimer is just protection from the litigious climate of California.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishamber View Post
Hi All, This might be a stupid question but I am new here and haven't driven in a snowy area before.

When I got my new 2021x3 m40i I was asked to sign a tire chain disclosure at the time of delivery. I have attached the PIC for the same. It states that as Equipped the vehicle may not be operated with tire chains but may accommodate some other type of tire traction device.

My 2021 x3 m40i has 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires. I received them with factory-installed Bridgestone Alenza tires

1. Can someone explain what does this tire chain disclosure means and why tire chains may not be operated? Does everyone signs this disclosure or this is something specific to California? If I can't use tire chains what option do I have for other traction devices? My understanding was using tire chains in the snowy area was a default thing.

2. I am planning a trip to lake Tahoe this holiday season. Can I use the current tires to plan a trip to Lake Tahoe which has temp in the range of 30s? What precaution or another traction device I need to take from the viewpoint of safety as well as law compliance.

I take the disclosure to mean that the vehicle cannot be run with tire/tyre chains and now you have been told. The usual reason why chains cannot be fitted is that the vehicle has a large number of pipes, wires and sensors behind the wheel, any of which can be damaged by flailing tire chains, some of which such as abs and stability control have safety implications. In addition the space available behind the wheel is limited with all this technology.

Tyre chains are now old fashioned any way and I have used the spikes spyder system happily for over 10 years . The advantage of these type of snow traction aids is that they can be attached and removed in about 1 minute (once mounting ring is in place). These systems tend to attach a mounting ring to the wheel bolts, they protect alloy wheels and have nothing behind the tire. You can fit the mounting ring at the start of the journey and when you reach snow, pull over and clip on the traction arms, because they are so easy to fit, even in poor light it takes out any stress.

Appreciate 1
jmg18870.50
      12-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Local scoop:

Look at these:
https://tahoe.com/articles/lake-taho...n-requirements
http://tahoeroads.info/

On rare occasions, the highway leading up to Tahoe will impose some restrictions. I actually bought some tire chains few years ago while driving to Tahoe but have not opened it yet because weather cleared up that day. Generally speaking, if there is snow and ice, do not drive on summer tires. If roads are clear, maybe regular tires are fine. If you have winter tires and have a AWD vehicle, no restrictions up to level 2. The reason why they have these rules is that almost no one in the Bay area have winter tires, and often do not have AWD either, and have no experience driving on snow. So if conditions get really bad, depending on the level and type of vehicle, they want you to pull over and put chains on. If you don't have chains, there are apparently folks on that road who sell them. For this vehicle, I got that disclosure too. I think I'm simply not going to tahoe or maybe taking the other vehicle. No point buying winter tires for one trip a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #12
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishamber View Post

Let me know when you plan to take that car with those skinny sidewalls into Tahoe snow.

I'm not sure being on the other side of the continent is far away enough.

You want to drive in snow but don't want the right tires (winters, as other have suggested)? That's like putting your you-know-what into a blender because you think it'll feel good.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
In the vast majority of situations, you are good without chains. But in some cases you will need tires that meet the requirements spelled out below. Did you read this during your searching?

In an R-1 or R-2 situation, how often does the CHP stop a vehicle to inspect tires, as a primary enforcement measure?

From: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Truckers, see our Truck Chain Requirements page.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

2 Tire Traction Devices: The California Vehicle Code, Section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: "Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
Ravenous666
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 & 2024 BMW X3

Also the 20" staggered wheels are not approved by BMW to be used with chains.

Only 19" with 245 all around are approved by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #15
sansri
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 M40i

As others have pointed out, if you want to go anywhere with any snow on the ground ( or even temperatures < 40), please change the tires out to all-seasons. The summer tires that you have on the car will not give any traction. Also, you are required to have a M+S on the tires to go to Tahoe in wintery conditions.

I have been to Tahoe with the Bridgestone All-Season RFTs on 19" and the car performed well. Just changed to Michelin Pilot 4 All Seasons though.

Instead of chains, I got Autosocks to keep in the car - not had to use them so far yet. These can clear the reduced clearance of the 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #16
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life and travel to Tahoe and Reno many times a year including 13 hour drive back from Reno in the winter. Ever since we have had suvs (20 years) I have never needed chains. They were all either 4wd or Awd vehicles. As mentioned, the disclaimer is just protection from the litigious climate of California.
Thanks for the response, I'm assuming you must have all-season tires on these SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
I take the disclosure to mean that the vehicle cannot be run with tire/tyre chains and now you have been told. The usual reason why chains cannot be fitted is that the vehicle has a large number of pipes, wires and sensors behind the wheel, any of which can be damaged by flailing tire chains, some of which such as abs and stability control have safety implications. In addition the space available behind the wheel is limited with all this technology.

Tyre chains are now old fashioned any way and I have used the spikes spyder system happily for over 10 years . The advantage of these type of snow traction aids is that they can be attached and removed in about 1 minute (once mounting ring is in place). These systems tend to attach a mounting ring to the wheel bolts, they protect alloy wheels and have nothing behind the tire. You can fit the mounting ring at the start of the journey and when you reach snow, pull over and clip on the traction arms, because they are so easy to fit, even in poor light it takes out any stress.

Thanks for the great explanation and the product info, looks like a cool handy product to have If driving frequently in snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Local scoop:

Look at these:
https://tahoe.com/articles/lake-taho...n-requirements
http://tahoeroads.info/

On rare occasions, the highway leading up to Tahoe will impose some restrictions. I actually bought some tire chains few years ago while driving to Tahoe but have not opened it yet because weather cleared up that day. Generally speaking, if there is snow and ice, do not drive on summer tires. If roads are clear, maybe regular tires are fine. If you have winter tires and have a AWD vehicle, no restrictions up to level 2. The reason why they have these rules is that almost no one in the Bay area have winter tires, and often do not have AWD either, and have no experience driving on snow. So if conditions get really bad, depending on the level and type of vehicle, they want you to pull over and put chains on. If you don't have chains, there are apparently folks on that road who sell them. For this vehicle, I got that disclosure too. I think I'm simply not going to tahoe or maybe taking the other vehicle. No point buying winter tires for one trip a year.
That's what I thought and was confirming if I can make that one trip with these tires otherwise buying and storing winter tires is too much work and money waste, so now either I will rent or postpone the plans to early spring next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Let me know when you plan to take that car with those skinny sidewalls into Tahoe snow.

I'm not sure being on the other side of the continent is far away enough.

You want to drive in snow but don't want the right tires (winters, as other have suggested)? That's like putting your you-know-what into a blender because you think it'll feel good.
I was thinking about this time of year and thus was confirming if at all these tires would survive which looks like not a good idea so will either skip during winter or rent a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
In the vast majority of situations, you are good without chains. But in some cases you will need tires that meet the requirements spelled out below. Did you read this during your searching?

In an R-1 or R-2 situation, how often does the CHP stop a vehicle to inspect tires, as a primary enforcement measure?

From: https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-dri...chain-controls

Chain Requirement Levels
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Truckers, see our Truck Chain Requirements page.

R-1 and R-2 are the most common conditions. A highway will often be closed before an R-3 condition is imposed. Some local areas may use variations of these designations. You must follow the directions on the signs posted for chain controls or any instructions given by Caltrans or CHP personnel at chain control check points, even if these are at variance with broadcast road condition reports or information contained herein.

1 Snow-tread Tires: The California Vehicle Code, Section 558 defines a snow-tread tire as follows, "A 'Snow-tread tire' is a tire which has a relatively deep and aggressive tread pattern compared with conventional passenger tread pattern". Snow-tread tires can be identified by examining the sidewall of the tire where the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewall.

2 Tire Traction Devices: The California Vehicle Code, Section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: "Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."
Thanks a lot for all these legal details and explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous666 View Post
Also the 20" staggered wheels are not approved by BMW to be used with chains.

Only 19" with 245 all around are approved by BMW.
Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri View Post
As others have pointed out, if you want to go anywhere with any snow on the ground ( or even temperatures < 40), please change the tires out to all-seasons. The summer tires that you have on the car will not give any traction. Also, you are required to have a M+S on the tires to go to Tahoe in wintery conditions.

I have been to Tahoe with the Bridgestone All-Season RFTs on 19" and the car performed well. Just changed to Michelin Pilot 4 All Seasons though.

Instead of chains, I got Autosocks to keep in the car - not had to use them so far yet. These can clear the reduced clearance of the 20" wheels.
Thanks for the info, will wait for these tires to worn out before I change as it would be too much work and effort to change in between and to keep and maintain both of them.
Appreciate 1
MJE60681.00