BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #1
Morangers7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

OBD ENET Cable for BM3

Finally making the move to add BM3 tune to my 2020 M40i.

I have a question regarding which OBD ENET cable you guys have used? All of the reviews on Amazon for them are pretty bad. If any of you have had a good experience with one, please let me know which one.

Also, the WiFi agent, is it worth buying?

I ordered a Draggy too so I'll post some before and after times.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

I have one from Amazon that works great. I suggest you go to the Bimmercode web site. They have a list of compatible OBD units AND they list which cable they recommend from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Morangers7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
I have one from Amazon that works great. I suggest you go to the Bimmercode web site. They have a list of compatible OBD units AND they list which cable they recommend from Amazon.
Thanks, will do!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morangers7 View Post

I have a question regarding which OBD ENET cable you guys have used? All of the reviews on Amazon for them are pretty bad. If any of you have had a good experience with one, please let me know which one.

I was in the same position as you before.
You're correct Amazon ones have bad reviews. The ability to save $10 is tempting. But if youre going to get a failure mid flash thats bad news for the DME. Im sure there were ones on Amazon that are working. Ill let others help you with links.
I bought mine from xph and the both ends frayed and it does not connect any longer. It crapped out after 6 months of use. And its not like I use them 6 hrs a day bending and stretching.

Ordered new one from Kiesmotorsport. Not sure it its going to be much better? But its out for delivery. So I can update in another 6 mos. lol.

Yes wifi agent saves your life. No need for a laptop so much more convenient with it.

Lastly absolutely post dragy #s. We love them here. There is a dragy thread here too. You may want to compare.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Morangers7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morangers7 View Post

I was in the same position as you before.
You're correct Amazon ones have bad reviews. The ability to save $10 is tempting. But if youre going to get a failure mid flash thats bad news for the DME. Im sure there were ones on Amazon that are working. Ill let others help you with links.
I bought mine from xph and the both ends frayed and it does not connect any longer. It crapped out after 6 months of use. And its not like I use them 6 hrs a day bending and stretching.

Ordered new one from Kiesmotorsport. Not sure it its going to be much better? But its out for delivery. So I can update in another 6 mos. lol.

Yes wifi agent saves your life. No need for a laptop so much more convenient with it.

Lastly absolutely post dragy #s. We love them here. There is a dragy thread here too. You may want to compare.
You would think by now there would be a "premium" option out there somewhere...

I guess I won't spend too much time trying to decide since most likely any one I purchase will crap out eventually lol.

Thanks for the input on the WiFi agent. Makes that decision easier
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #6
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
For what it's worth - I bought this one in 2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MECEI14/

to use it while my 2018 X3 was being remotely coded by Bimmer-tech.

I used it recently on my 2021 X3 using a Ethernet to USB-C adapter to my phone and Bimmercode and it worked flawlessly.

I will say, though - that mine is yellow and judging by the picture that is up there on Amazon now for the same item - it looks different - like the ethernet cable seems thinner. In any case, I can see it's the same seller.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Morangers7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
For what it's worth - I bought this one in 2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MECEI14/

to use it while my 2018 X3 was being remotely coded by Bimmer-tech.

I used it recently on my 2021 X3 using a Ethernet to USB-C adapter to my phone and Bimmercode and it worked flawlessly.

I will say, though - that mine is yellow and judging by the picture that is up there on Amazon now for the same item - it looks different - like the ethernet cable seems thinner. In any case, I can see it's the same seller.
Thanks! I think I'll give it a go for under $20, might as well.

Now I'm just waiting for the Draggy to arrive. Hopefully I can get a few stock runs in next week while I'm off.
Appreciate 0