BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > First impresssion after installing Hotchkis Front Swaybar on M2C

01-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

First impresssion after installing Hotchkis Front Swaybar on M2C

After long backorder, my Hotchkiss front and rear swaybar set arrived after Christmas. I only installed the front to dial out some tail happiness on slaloms. The bar is 4 way adjustable similar to Dinan. Installation instructions provided stiffness values for each hole in the bar, but did not give recommended settings for the M2. I looked up Dinan's recommendation and it called for setting up the bar at the second stiffest setting. I decided to go with the third stiffest setting as Dinan's recommendations is in conjunction with installing the rear swaybar as well. I figured if I'm leaving the rear swaybar stock, I should go softer on the front setting.

Got a chance to test the car during a Porsche club driver skills day which comprised of slalom runs, wet skid pad, threshold braking, figure 8, and short autocross exercises throughout the day. I had attended a similar event last year with stock swaybars all around so I had baseline on how the car behaved stock. First impression was the car definitely wasn't as tail happy anymore whereas before not having smooth inputs in the slalom cause the tail to step out very easily. Understeer become more pronounced on the wet skidpad with the bar on versus without. Even with more understeer, had no issues getting the rear to slide out and induce a drift around the skid pad which definitly made it the most fun exercise of the day . In the figure 8, trying to carry too much speed during turn in cause more understeer than before. Had to make sure to practice slow in, fast out to get the car to turn in better. The benefit of the Hotchkis bar though was being able to get on the gas sooner. The rear didn't step out as much as it used to without the bar. Lastly I did feel that the car was more stable in the slaloms and ladder sections of the autocross course. Again had to make sure not to try to carry too much speed into the sweepers or else I would start understeering more. Overall I don't think the softest setting would add as much benefit compared to stock. I felt adding the front bar at the third stiffest setting provided better stability, but with compromises. I think going stiffer in the front would cause more understeer and upset overall balance. Can't wait to get more seat time in once auto-x practice events starts up again in February.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

So, it won't turn now?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
So, it won't turn now?
Stiffer FARB will move biased towards more understeer

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
After long backorder, my Hotchkiss front and rear swaybar set arrived after Christmas. I only installed the front to dial out some tail happiness on slaloms. The bar is 4 way adjustable similar to Dinan. Installation instructions provided stiffness values for each hole in the bar, but did not give recommended settings for the M2. I looked up Dinan's recommendation and it called for setting up the bar at the second stiffest setting. I decided to go with the third stiffest setting as Dinan's recommendations is in conjunction with installing the rear swaybar as well. I figured if I'm leaving the rear swaybar stock, I should go softer on the front setting.

Got a chance to test the car during a Porsche club driver skills day which comprised of slalom runs, wet skid pad, threshold braking, figure 8, and short autocross exercises throughout the day. I had attended a similar event last year with stock swaybars all around so I had baseline on how the car behaved stock. First impression was the car definitely wasn't as tail happy anymore whereas before not having smooth inputs in the slalom cause the tail to step out very easily. Understeer become more pronounced on the wet skidpad with the bar on versus without. Even with more understeer, had no issues getting the rear to slide out and induce a drift around the skid pad which definitly made it the most fun exercise of the day . In the figure 8, trying to carry too much speed during turn in cause more understeer than before. Had to make sure to practice slow in, fast out to get the car to turn in better. The benefit of the Hotchkis bar though was being able to get on the gas sooner. The rear didn't step out as much as it used to without the bar. Lastly I did feel that the car was more stable in the slaloms and ladder sections of the autocross course. Again had to make sure not to try to carry too much speed into the sweepers or else I would start understeering more. Overall I don't think the softest setting would add as much benefit compared to stock. I felt adding the front bar at the third stiffest setting provided better stability, but with compromises. I think going stiffer in the front would cause more understeer and upset overall balance. Can't wait to get more seat time in once auto-x practice events starts up again in February.
Am I right in saying you are running stock geo and suspension?

Stock wheels and tyre sizes?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
So, it won't turn now?
Turn in is fine. However if I miss braking point and try to carry too much speed into a turn it will understeer more than it used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #6
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceCity View Post
Dinan rear sway bar at recommend setting is 0% stiffens increase. If you look closer at they specs, they list of the percent increase over stock for each value
Interesting. So if there recommended setting doesn’t stiffen the rear, I don’t really see a benefit installing the rear then.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #7
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C_PLUS View Post

Yes stock suspension and wheels. I did switch tires to 265/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear Bridgestone RE71Rs
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #8
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

How do you feel with more time on this front sway bar? Now that I have seen how EASY it is to change out the front, I am seriously considering it!

Also, would you have the model number or which one you installed? I dont see a 19 M2C as an option when I look at their product configurator.

Thanks!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
How do you feel with more time on this front sway bar? Now that I have seen how EASY it is to change out the front, I am seriously considering it!

Also, would you have the model number or which one you installed? I dont see a 19 M2C as an option when I look at their product configurator.

Thanks!
For autocross, adding front swaybar has been good. It's less tail happy on the slaloms and transitions. Dinan suggests the 2nd to the stiffest setting but I found this to be too stiff (more understeer). 3rd setting has been the best compromise for me. Hotchkis part # 22842. Some sites lists it as for OG M2, M3, and M4 only. I've confirmed they fit the M2C.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #10
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Yes stock suspension and wheels. I did switch tires to 265/35/19 front and 285/35/19 rear Bridgestone RE71Rs

I run the M2CS Racing uprated sway bar on Nitron's and 2.2neg camber and have no understeer issues.

I do have increased feedback, front end tightness and less "roll" since it has been fitted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #11
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I run the M2CS Racing uprated sway bar on Nitron's and 2.2neg camber and have no understeer issues.

I do have increased feedback, front end tightness and less "roll" since it has been fitted.
Getting more camber up front is next step for me. I'm considering installing camber correction hubs to get more camber but still stay in stock class for autox. Or just like you going with full coilovers with camber plates once SCCA figures out how what class M2C will land in the Street Touring category.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #12
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Interesting.. so installed the OEM CS sway bar?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

M2CS Racing sway bar. Not M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

source?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #15
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Quote:
Getting more camber up front is next step for me. I'm considering installing camber correction hubs to get more camber but still stay in stock class for autox. Or just like you going with full coilovers with camber plates once SCCA figures out how what class M2C will land in the Street Touring category.

Did you make any changes to toe setting?
Interested in camber correction hubs also.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:02 AM   #16
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I run the OEM camber correction hubs mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #17
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Did you make any changes to toe setting?
Interested in camber correction hubs also.
all stock suspension settings so far. I'm trying to get as much seat time as possible this year and learn the car. Then will use learnings I'm gathering on set ups in the upcoming offseason.
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      03-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #18
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

source?

thanks!
AP Motorsport here in the UK stock
a fair amt of BMW msport parts

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk

M2CSR FARB is made by H&R and is 30.5mm dia IIRC

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #19
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Update after 2 autocross practice sessions:

Front swaybar at 2nd to softest setting is making the car push more than I expected in the dry yet cold conditions (high 40's to mid 50's). The car feels better in the slaloms, especially the higher speed ones. But the push is definitely showing up in the sweepers. One of the other M2 drivers said he ended up putting stiffer shocks in the rear to get back the tail rotation he was looking for but still get the benefit of the bar in the slaloms. He did say he preferred a "loose" car. Dropping the front bar to softest setting before the next few practice sessions...hoping that will strike a better balance in the car for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Update after 2 autocross practice sessions:

Front swaybar at 2nd to softest setting is making the car push more than I expected in the dry yet cold conditions (high 40's to mid 50's). The car feels better in the slaloms, especially the higher speed ones. But the push is definitely showing up in the sweepers. One of the other M2 drivers said he ended up putting stiffer shocks in the rear to get back the tail rotation he was looking for but still get the benefit of the bar in the slaloms. He did say he preferred a "loose" car. Dropping the front bar to softest setting before the next few practice sessions...hoping that will strike a better balance in the car for me.
My question, why are you still running stock geo? Do autocross over there tell you too?

Stock geo on a M2 is shocking for track work etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:15 AM   #21
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My question, why are you still running stock geo? Do autocross over there tell you too?

Need to stay with stock geo to be legal in SCCA's B-street class. SCCA has not classed the M2C yet in the next level that allows for more suspension mods, thus my hesitency to throw parts on not know if they will be legal going forward.
Appreciate 2
M2C_PLUS1774.00
gasdoc3.00
      03-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #22
M2C_PLUS
Major
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Need to stay with stock geo to be legal in SCCA's B-street class. SCCA has not classed the M2C yet in the next level that allows for more suspension mods, thus my hesitency to throw parts on not know if they will be legal going forward.
Ah I understand now. I would had camber hubs in that case. OEM part and the camber will help reduce the understeer/front end grip/turn in
Appreciate 0