F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Seat Calibration
ARMA SPEED

02-24-2021, 12:42 AM   #1
AK_
Rep
Drives: 17’ 320i

Seat Calibration

Just got the 3 series today and I noticed that when I arrived at home it wouldn’t shut off (the radio mainly) and there was a “seat calibration” warning on the dash. I have to press the start button twice to get it to shut off completely.

I personally am not driving 2 hours back to BMW if it’s something I can fix at home. Does anyone know what steps needed to be taken with the seat to fix the calibration issue?
      02-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

The radio stays on until you open the driver's door after shutting off the engine.

For the seat calibration error, it's likely that the airbag system doesn't know the location of the seat position, just press the start button once (power on & engine off) move the seat all the way forward and then all the way back, press the start button again (power off). Wait 30 sec then start the car as normal and it should be calibrated.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
AK_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
The radio stays on until you open the driver's door after shutting off the engine.

For the seat calibration error, it's likely that the airbag system doesn't know the location of the seat position, just press the start button once (power on & engine off) move the seat all the way forward and then all the way back, press the start button again (power off). Wait 30 sec then start the car as normal and it should be calibrated.
Thank you. I did notice that it won’t turn off when I open the drivers door it still won’t shut off.

I’ll try that trick today and see if it’ll fix the warning.
      02-24-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

The first push of the start/stop button should shut off the engine. The second push of the start/stop button (with you foot OFF of the brake) should turn off the accessories.

You will also need to pull the door handle twice. The first should unlock it and the second should open it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post

Sometimes my radio will stay on till I hit the lock button on my fob. Usually when using bluetooth audio
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
AK_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
The first push of the start/stop button should shut off the engine. The second push of the start/stop button (with you foot OFF of the brake) should turn off the accessories.

You will also need to pull the door handle twice. The first should unlock it and the second should open it.
Fixed the calibration issue by moving the seat and now it shuts off with one press of the start button, also maybe I missed this in the settings but how do I grab the handle to unlock all 4 doors. My Optima is just two presses of the smart entry door handle and all 4 doors and trunk unlock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Sometimes my radio will stay on till I hit the lock button on my fob. Usually when using bluetooth audio
This is normal
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

My radio always stays on after I stop the engine, unless I take my foot off the brake and push the ignition again, which fully shuts the car down. It's supposed to do that, and I bet it's in the manual. You know, that big book that came with the car that you haven't gotten around to reading yet. I never push the ignition a second time, because that way the radio playing after I exit the car reminds my to lock it, which also shuts it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_ View Post
Fixed the calibration issue by moving the seat and now it shuts off with one press of the start button, also maybe I missed this in the settings but how do I grab the handle to unlock all 4 doors. My Optima is just two presses of the smart entry door handle and all 4 doors and trunk unlock.
From the owner's manual for 2014 435i -

Unlocking
The setting is stored for the remote control
currently in use.
1. "Settings"
2. "Doors/key"
3. Select symbol or "Unlock button:"
4. Select the desired function:
▷ "Driver's door only"
Only the driver's door and the fuel filler
flap are unlocked. Pressing again unlocks
the entire vehicle.
▷ "All doors"
The entire vehicle is unlocked.
Depending on how the vehicle is equipped or
the country-specific variant, you can set
whether the doors are also unlocked with the
button on the remote control.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Just got the 3 series today and I noticed that when I arrived at home it wouldn’t shut off (the radio mainly) and there was a “seat calibration” warning on the dash. I have to press the start button twice to get it to shut off completely.

I personally am not driving 2 hours back to BMW if it’s something I can fix at home. Does anyone know what steps needed to be taken with the seat to fix the calibration issue?
Seat calibration was to turn the car off and move the seat ALL the way forward. Keep pressing it until it stops (it does it multiple times) and then move it back all the way. Turn the car back on and it should go away.

If you have easy entry coded, check the carpet and see if it gets in the way of the chair moving. I found out that causes that error to come up more often because I have weather-tech matts and it's thicker and causes a little binding when the chair moves.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:44 AM   #11
AK_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My radio always stays on after I stop the engine, unless I take my foot off the brake and push the ignition again, which fully shuts the car down. It's supposed to do that, and I bet it's in the manual. You know, that big book that came with the car that you haven't gotten around to reading yet. I never push the ignition a second time, because that way the radio playing after I exit the car reminds my to lock it, which also shuts it off.
I don’t want the radio on when I shut the car off, no other vehicle I’ve owned has done this, my A4 or A5 did not do this nor does my Optima. I park inside my garage so I don’t lock the car hence as to why I wondered if it was normal or not....You wouldn’t think locking the vehicle would have anything to do with fully “shutting down” the car.

Can’t read a manual I don’t have still on order.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:47 AM   #12
AK_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Seat calibration was to turn the car off and move the seat ALL the way forward. Keep pressing it until it stops (it does it multiple times) and then move it back all the way. Turn the car back on and it should go away.

If you have easy entry coded, check the carpet and see if it gets in the way of the chair moving. I found out that causes that error to come up more often because I have weather-tech matts and it's thicker and causes a little binding when the chair moves.
I ended up fixing the error by doing just that! Don’t have anything coded yet, I love the easy entry/exit feature. My optima does it and by far one of my most favorite features that neither one of my Audi vehicles would do.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I don’t want the radio on when I shut the car off, no other vehicle I’ve owned has done this, my A4 or A5 did not do this nor does my Optima. I park inside my garage so I don’t lock the car hence as to why I wondered if it was normal or not....You wouldn’t think locking the vehicle would have anything to do with fully “shutting down” the car.

I don't follow the problem. We've had the option to leave the radio on when switching off the engine, in BMW, (and most cars I've driven) for as long as I can remember. Both with keys, plug in fobs, and contactless fobs.

Always been a 'second action' to switch off accessories including the radio. Like... turn the key another stage (and remove), press to remove the fob, or press the stop-start button another time.

Or get out and lock the car, to switch all systems down, including the radio if left on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
You can download one in about two minutes.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #15
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Good point; also it might be useful for the OP to know that the radio will stay on for only 8 minutes if not pro-actively turned off, I.e., push stop/start button a second time, lock using key fob, etc.
Luckstr
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #16
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

Just press the stop/start button twice.
Appreciate 0