Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Anyone de badged to stop the hassle?

03-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #1
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X-Drive

Anyone de badged to stop the hassle?

Is it me? Had a couple of occasions where I've been tootling along, found my favourite bends and enjoyed getting through them. This, it seems, has given cause for, for example today, the car following to think that I want to 'race'. I don't, it's my selfish fun!

The Jaguar was up my ass for a while, but ahead was car joy, bends! I went through the first, lovely for me, although the jag ended up on the other side of the road, I was through the next bend and didn't see him for a while. I continue at 50mph, straight road and he overtakes me on a blind hill and slams on hard. Really? He then accelerates off.

OK, so I'm a bit angry, more so as he's spoiled my bendy road joy. I pull in, puff on a *** and relax.

I'm considering a debadge, the m340i seems to be a red flag to some folk. I hate it, I feel like crap. I love a spirited drive, it's beautiful, and it's my selfish joy.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Go ahead and debadge, it won't make the arsehole drivers disappear!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

I wouldn't bother, I'm in a 330i and still get this happening regularly. Oddly enough it's other BMW drivers who I tend to find are the worst for it, nearly everytime I have a BMW behind me they are right up my backside. Really fed up of it as I generally have my son in the back of the car with me.

Genuinely I've been considering getting rid of the BMW lately because I'm so sick of it. Even happens on my way to my son's nursery. This week I've had two different older BMW's up my backside on the way to nursery, both going to the same nursery so also have children in their cars but for some reason they have to get as close to me as they can on the drive in, even if I speed up (I don't drive slowly). They know they are in the wrong as when I turn in to the nursery they suddenly back off and won't even look at me in the car park, to the point that one was clearly taking as long as he could get his child out the car in the hope that I'd go.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I always debadge. I think it looks cleaner, and I have nothing to prove. After all, there's always someone out there with a quicker car than me.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #5
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I always debadge.
Those who know will know anyway, those who don't won't care.
But it looks nice and clean 👌
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #6
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
I always debadge.
Those who know will know anyway, those who don't won't care.
But it looks nice and clean 👌
Do you do it yourself? What's the process like?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #7
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure350z View Post

Genuinely I've been considering getting rid of the BMW lately because I'm so sick of it.
It's not just me then I understand this feeling! I felt this today.
I wasn't going to post as I felt stupid, there are options I could have used, I could have pulled in etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Debadge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumperjohn View Post
I wasn't going to post as I felt stupid, there are options I could have used, I could have pulled in etc.
Don't get rid of it!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #10
Azure350z
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad you did post, don't feel stupid about it, it's a fair annoyance.

OK so yeah you could have pulled over to let them pass but they could have also pulled over to let you go so they had a nice clear run knowing that no other cars would be in front for a while, its what I sometimes do on a spirited drive on some of my favourite b roads.

Assuming you weren't under the speed limit at all then why would you think to pull over. Also him overtaking and slamming the brakes on just shows what c**k he is.

I just don't get it, before the 330i I had a supercharged Nissan 350Z, much faster than my 330i. Yes I got the occasional chav in a corsa wanting to race me at the lights but I can deal with that, just let them go with their car sounding like a fart in a tin can, no danger to me. However on the roads to my sons nursery and on a b road blast, never really had any trouble in nearly 10 years of driving it. The BMW however it seems to be everytime I go out, it's like people see a BMW and think they have to try and show themselves as being faster but do it an a way that puts both mine and my families life at risk by tailgating. I just don't get it, I'm in a 330i, not an m3 so it's not a particularly fast car anyway, lots of cars are faster.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #11
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Ronan and Azure, I appreciate that. Maybe its just getting worse on the roads, just realised, I've been driving 30 years, no accidents and 2 speeding tickets. I must say though MUFC, it does look clean!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #12
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Ronan and Azure, I appreciate that. Maybe its just getting worse on the roads, just realised, I've been driving 30 years, no accidents and 2 speeding tickets. I must say though MUFC, it does look clean!
I meant don't get rid of the car, by all means get rid of the badge! I think it looks clean as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 01:44 AM   #13
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
I wouldn't bother, I'm in a 330i and still get this happening regularly. Oddly enough it's other BMW drivers who I tend to find are the worst for it, nearly everytime I have a BMW behind me they are right up my backside. Really fed up of it as I generally have my son in the back of the car with me.

Genuinely I've been considering getting rid of the BMW lately because I'm so sick of it. Even happens on my way to my son's nursery. This week I've had two different older BMW's up my backside on the way to nursery, both going to the same nursery so also have children in their cars but for some reason they have to get as close to me as they can on the drive in, even if I speed up (I don't drive slowly). They know they are in the wrong as when I turn in to the nursery they suddenly back off and won't even look at me in the car park, to the point that one was clearly taking as long as he could get his child out the car in the hope that I'd go.
Quote:

Changing car won't stop this happening, those drivers will still exist and will behave exactly the same way no matter what you drive
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 03:10 AM   #14
Azure350z
Private
Rep

Quote:
I just don't get it, before the 330i I had a supercharged Nissan 350Z, much faster than my 330i. Yes I got the occasional chav in a corsa wanting to race me at the lights but I can deal with that, just let them go with their car sounding like a fart in a tin can, no danger to me. However on the roads to my sons nursery and on a b road blast, never really had any trouble in nearly 10 years of driving it.
But that's the thing, in other cars I've had which were faster I didn't have this problem anyway near as much
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 04:11 AM   #15
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan703 View Post
Do you do it yourself? What's the process like?
Dead easy - ideally some heat (hot water, hairdrier, sunny day) and some fishing line or dental floss.
Then when you've cut the adhesive and separated the badge from the car you just need to clean off the residue, typically with your fingers or maybe a cloth and some white spirit.

Genuinely takes 10 minutes tops to do both rear badges (M340i, Xdrive) and both front wing badges (M).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 04:17 AM   #16
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Dead easy - ideally some heat (hot water, hairdrier, sunny day) and some fishing line or dental floss.
Then when you've cut the adhesive and separated the badge from the car you just need to clean off the residue, typically with your fingers or maybe a cloth and some white spirit.

Genuinely takes 10 minutes tops to do both rear badges (M340i, Xdrive) and both front wing badges (M).
Aye it's as easy as that.

Funnily enough although I have de-badged the rear of mine if I was lucky enough to own the new B3 I don't think I'd remove any, perhaps black them out, as somehow it just suits the car more keeping them
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #17
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Very nice. Going to do that soon, cheers!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 05:53 AM   #18
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Next time it goes in for a service the garage will probably helpfully apply the missing badges!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #19
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Next time it goes in for a service the garage will probably helpfully apply the missing badges!
I am so tempted on my company lease 330e, but I can see the dealer doing exactly that (on the rear anyway) :

When I had a rear end smash in my F30 330e the vehicle was still road worthy but it was recovered via a low loader. The driver of the low loader didn't have a clue about the potential dangers of a Hybrid vehicle, so him reading 330e on the rear won't make him any the wiser :

Sod it, the 330e badge is coming off this afternoon
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #20
Mon_papillon
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered - G21 330e M Sport

Seelark, can you get some step by steps! Would be cool to see
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #21
Ronan703
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon_papillon View Post
I plan on doing it this weekend, so I'll put together something unless he beats me!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #22
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon_papillon View Post
Took less than 5 minutes, but i was lucky to have a some dental floss and a random product to remove the excess adhesive in the old ladies cupboard

I just flossed down the back of each number/letter and then rubbed the 'sticky stuff' on the excess adhesive. Quick wash off and my silent 330e is in disguise 🥸
Attached Images

Appreciate 4