BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How to get GT turn in/ feel

03-30-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
zjolsen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

How to get GT turn in/ feel

All, I was in line for a GT4 but couldn’t get an allocation. I then found the M2C in HS and fell in love with practicality (have kids) and the price. The thing that does bug me is the disconnect with the steering feel/confidence. Is it fixable with some end links or other upgrades? I came from a ZL1 1LE and a 997S, so steering feel/turn in/ confidence is top of mind when I think about both of those cars. My M2C is all stock and just getting to it’s break-in service. I don’t believe coil overs are the answer here, nor do I really want to go that path.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjolsen View Post
All, I was in line for a GT4 but couldn’t get an allocation. I then found the M2C in HS and fell in love with practicality (have kids) and the price. The thing that does bug me is the disconnect with the steering feel/confidence. Is it fixable with some end links or other upgrades? I came from a ZL1 1LE and a 997S, so steering feel/turn in/ confidence is top of mind when I think about both of those cars. My M2C is all stock and just getting to it’s break-in service. I don’t believe coil overs are the answer here, nor do I really want to go that path.

Thoughts?
My thought is... there is zero chance of an electric power steering BMW ever being on a similar plane to a 997 in terms of steering feel or confidence from the front end communication to the driver. I have a 997.2 GTS and have had plenty of back to back drives vs my M2. It isn't in the cards. It takes away from the M2, but at the same time its a different car with different capabilities so expecting to get the same things is kind of a waste. I can't get my 997.2 to somehow have a legit backseat either, like the 2 series has. It's ok. They are different.

The answer, if you have a strong desire to have real steering feel, not just an improvement that will never be the same, is to work out having a car with good steering feel and also the M2C. There will be improvements that can be had, but getting back that feeling from a hydraulic rack in a purpose built chassis (which the 2 series is not) is not gonna happen.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #3
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Thoughts?
Get sportier tyres first, preferably spec one with a 30 profile (35 is still fine) and def one with a harder sidewall...no PSS or PS4S
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Get sportier tyres first, preferably spec one with a 30 profile (35 is still fine) and def one with a harder sidewall...no PSS or PS4S
I agree. The PS4S is grippy but it's also quieter and more dead feeling. I'm about to find out how the Cup2 Connect 240 compares with the MPSS in a few weeks... can't wait.
Appreciate 2
6speed_M23633.50
Karmic Man1996.00
      04-02-2021, 05:08 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

No one mentioning coding GTS steering with Thor?

Very good place to start.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
VDRM3
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
No one mentioning coding GTS steering with Thor?

Very good place to start.
Does this work on the competition?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #7
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Is it still not released for the comp?!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Is it still not released for the comp?!
It wasn't clear from their videos. They offer the M2C upgrade for other cars but it wasn't clear if the other upgrades were good for the M2C. The M2C is the newest model on their list.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

Thoughts?
Swapping those boat anchor 2NH front brakes for the AP's made a big difference to me in the steering feel and turn-in. Just lighter on its feet and more responsive. Coilovers and front swaybar are going on in two weeks along with 275's on lighter 18's. I hope that takes it to yet another level.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

I have the Turner Monoballs Thrust arm bushings and the M4 GTS steering coding and neither of them have made much of a difference in steering feel or turn-in. Some people have said the solid monoball bushings (like the one I have) fixes most of the numb steering, turn in and dead spots and I just don't believe it.

Also, Just switched tires from the stock MPSS to MPS 4S 275/30 in the front and the steering now feels a tad even more numb and slower (although the increase in grip is very nice).

Also running M Performance coilovers. Not happy with the steering turn in and feel on this car but I guess it's something you have to accept. BMW does not make sports cars. They make luxury sports coupes and as such there a certain amount of isolation from the driver and more focus on the daily drivability and some practicality.

The Camaro ZL1 and SS 1LE is a proper sports car and 997 is just in another league in terms of what the car is designed to do and achieve.

My theory is that you'll never change much of this steering feel, but if you ever find a solution, I'd be very interested to hear it.
fleetfoot120.00
      04-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
zjolsen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I have the Turner Monoballs Thrust arm bushings and the M4 GTS steering coding and neither of them have made much of a difference in steering feel or turn-in. Some people have said the solid monoball bushings (like the one I have) fixes most of the numb steering, turn in and dead spots and I just don't believe it.

Also, Just switched tires from the stock MPSS to MPS 4S 275/30 in the front and the steering now feels a tad even more numb and slower (although the increase in grip is very nice).

Also running M Performance coilovers. Not happy with the steering turn in and feel on this car but I guess it's something you have to accept. BMW does not make sports cars. They make luxury sports coupes and as such there a certain amount of isolation from the driver and more focus on the daily drivability and some practicality.

The Camaro ZL1 and SS 1LE is a proper sports car and 997 is just in another league in terms of what the car is designed to do and achieve.

My theory is that you'll never change much of this steering feel, but if you ever find a solution, I'd be very interested to hear it.

Appreciate the feedback! Lets me know chasing the feel I have had in my last three toys (SS 1LE, 997S, ZL1 1LE) just might not happen. The steering feel and lack of down low power is just something I have to get use to.

It has to many positives for the rest of the family. Surprisingly, this is the most family friendly toy I have had with the most leg room for kiddos. Trying to find the silver linings!

I was considering PSS10 coil overs to get some better road manners and feel, but just doesnt sound like its there. I bet an aggressive alignment would help dramatically, just dont know if I am ready for the consumable hit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post

Appreciate the feedback! Lets me know chasing the feel I have had in my last three toys (SS 1LE, 997S, ZL1 1LE) just might not happen. The steering feel and lack of down low power is just something I have to get use to.

It has to many positives for the rest of the family. Surprisingly, this is the most family friendly toy I have had with the most leg room for kiddos. Trying to find the silver linings!

I was considering PSS10 coil overs to get some better road manners and feel, but just doesnt sound like its there. I bet an aggressive alignment would help dramatically, just dont know if I am ready for the consumable hit.
I can only speak for M Performance Coilovers, but they have made a substantial difference over the stock setup. More connected drive feel (this does indirectly improve the turn in feel a bit) and handles bumps much better, especially at high speeds, unlike the stock suspension which can destabilize and feel less secure in some specific instances. And then you also have the adjustability to tailor it to your liking.

I track the car so for me they have totally changed the experience, but even for street driving they are absolutely superior to stock setup.
      04-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #13
nando_514
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubm2c View Post
Swapping those boat anchor 2NH front brakes for the AP's made a big difference to me in the steering feel and turn-in. Just lighter on its feet and more responsive. Coilovers and front swaybar are going on in two weeks along with 275's on lighter 18's. I hope that takes it to yet another level.

+1 on ridding the car of unsprung mass.. I’m not a proponent of buying your way out of a hole like that, but removing 20-40lbs off the rack might be a good start.

Side note— adding more and more tire width may be counterintuitive in your hunt for more “feeling”
Appreciate 1
jdubm2c169.00