BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-29-2021, 02:48 AM   #1
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

A matter of perspective

Allow me to indulge you, kind people of G8x forum, where my turbulent mind is coming from.

The year is 2011 and at 21 years young I am convinced that a Space Grey Sport Pack E90 335i is the pen-ultimate achievement of BMW engineering. A fellow enthusiast whispers in my ear that unless I am at the helm of a BMW M, I have no idea what a BMW is. Blindingly diving into the finer things, I decide to bet all or nothing on a E90 M3. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

To my bewilderment, I learn at no small expense of my own that a vehicle has no business being courteous unless it is absolutely tickling the senses of what feels civil to the mere common of mortals. It is then and only then that I learn that within these walls my allegiance would lie for years to come.

I have been fortunate during my young yet eventful journey in life and business, to sample the various fruits of the automotive tree of life. Audi RS, Porsche 911, Jaguar Land Rover SVR only to name a few titans of the industry that only two (2) sub-brands, BMW M and Porsche would offer enlightenment.

Absolute automotive utopia not only comes from household powerhouse name brands but is single handedly offered to those of us whom only seek refuge on a windy B-road. Personal expectations out of this third BMW M for me were off the charts.

I have learned over the years that despite dogs barking, the caravan would carry on. I do not say this out of arrogance but only to signify that BMW knows that despite their controversial approach, they would bet on their mechanical know-how to entice the most discerning of buyers. I am most pleased to announce that this generation of BMW M G8x is the best to come yet.

Hear me out.

In an era where cars are getting electrified, this brand that we love to hate has gone back to basics. Basic currently means a lack of electrification, a masterful-like calibration of turbo powerband and an assurance that manual rear wheel drive powertrains would be preserved to appease the purists amongst us.

In a world where OPF filters are the norm and not the exception, I am pleased to announce that the front grille is the least of our problems. Telepathic steering reflex, a third pedal and the ability to choose would be a luxury that the competition cannot simply afford to offer us anymore.

I ran into a great friend today at the BMW store who could commit to any car his heart desires. Seeing him commit to an allocation and reassuring me that a BMW M3/4 was of great value despite his vast access to whatever is out there; I caught myself thinking, whom am I to think otherwise?

A 480-500hp BMW M offered in 2WD or 4WD, manual or automatic, coupe or sedan, the mission will always be clear. BMW M is committed to deliver the most value and enthusiast-driven sub-brand offering the buyer is willing to pay for.

We joked in joust tonight, that as varied as the models of the Porsche 911 feel…Will they always be clinical? Being current and past custodians of the super beetle….one cannot help but ask the question; Can we replicate the near perfection elsewhere at a fraction of the cost?

Only time will tell.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 1
mirob3009.50
      04-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
M3AWD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 AWD

I enjoyed reading this

Can't wait for my M3 -- although the M xDrive will be the least pure of all the variants I'm still confident it will deliver loads of fun & engagement!

2022 G80 M3 Comp M xDrive
Appreciate 1
CanuckM665.50
      04-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AWD View Post
I enjoyed reading this

Can't wait for my M3 -- although the M xDrive will be the least pure of all the variants I'm still confident it will deliver loads of fun & engagement!
They will still find a way to engineer driver feedback I am certain.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
a masterful-like calibration of turbo powerband
What? Say it ain't so! Fellow enthusiasts keep telling me that this is news of yesteryear and just a byproduct of a low compression-big turbo setup. Nothing special to see here.

If it's that easy, why isn't it more prevalent in the industry? As if car manufacturers want their power bands to look like the Swiss Alps.

Great write-up!
Appreciate 1
CanuckM665.50