BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear "separate" damper and spring delete (Ohlins)

05-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
Juliana19
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Rear "separate" damper and spring delete (Ohlins)

Hi all,

I use my M2C a lot for track use and am currently running the M Perf coilover set up. Although this is a vast improvement over stock (on road and track!) I'm now looking to take the car to the next level and invest in some Ohlins which by all accounts is a large step up.

The chap doing all the work on the car is very knowledgeable on suspension and geo and recommends the Ohlins R&T system however revalved and with track focussed spring rates.

Another option we were exploring is deleting the separate damper and spring system on the rear and moving to a 'proper' or more traditional coilover like on fronts.

Question is - Has anybody else ever done this on the M2?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
The only benefit to going with a coilover rear is if you need to run SUPER high spring rate in the stock location since you can use a softer spring for the same effective wheel rate. If you do go coilover rear you'll need to worry about clearance to the sway bar.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

There may be more cost effective routes than revalving a set of R&T if the MPS isn't up to your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

I don't think the R&T is different enough for your application.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:54 AM   #5
m2_rek
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana19 View Post
Hi all,

I use my M2C a lot for track use and am currently running the M Perf coilover set up. Although this is a vast improvement over stock (on road and track!) I'm now looking to take the car to the next level and invest in some Ohlins which by all accounts is a large step up.

The chap doing all the work on the car is very knowledgeable on suspension and geo and recommends the Ohlins R&T system however revalved and with track focussed spring rates.

Another option we were exploring is deleting the separate damper and spring system on the rear and moving to a 'proper' or more traditional coilover like on fronts.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana19 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
I have MP and my friend has Ohlins R&T side by side on the road I could tell much difference... not tested on the track but I think you might be looking for a bigger difference than you'll get from R&T. Aren't the R&T less adjustable?! Don't think they have separate compression and rebound.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 03:13 AM   #6
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

If you are going with Ohlins as "step up" then the TTX range would be the step. From memory these are still a divorced rear.

Having gone with coilover rears with my M2C, if I had to do it again probably would stick with the divorced rear. Does it work yes, will you potentially have clearance issues, yes.

As farkle said it depends on your goals.