BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #1
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Impressions from current and past F80 owners?

I am curious how the G80 compares to the F80, especially in driving and fun. I’d love to hear driving impressions and comparisons from previous F80 owners.

I currently have a 2018 M3 ZCP w manual.
I love the looks and interior of the G80. Especially in controversial colors like the yellow on blue with buckets. Or green on brown (a lot less controversial). I also like the new iDrive, materials and tech a lot more. I got to sit in the sedan and the bucket seats feel amazing, but I would need to buy some bolster protection/cover otherwise I know I will do some wear and tear in 12 months getting in and out.

I haven’t had a chance to drive the G80, so I’m really curious how it compares to the last gen from those that own/ed both. I think the biggest difference will be in the AWD model(coming later), but I would still prefer a manual where the gap from F80 will be smaller. I wish the manual(base M3) had remote start and awd.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
I am curious how the G80 compares to the F80, especially in driving and fun. I’d love to hear driving impressions and comparisons from previous F80 owners.

I love the looks and interior of the G80. Especially in controversial colors like the yellow on blue with buckets. Or green on brown (a lot less controversial). I also like the new iDrive, materials and tech a lot more. I got to sit in the sedan and the bucket seats feel amazing, but I would need to buy some bolster protection/cover otherwise I know I will do some wear and tear in 12 months getting in and out.

I haven’t had a chance to drive the G80, so I’m really curious how it compares to the last gen from those that own/ed both. I think the biggest difference will be in the AWD model(coming later), but I would still prefer a manual where the gap from F80 will be smaller. I wish the manual(base M3) had remote start and awd.
I would suggest that nearly all the G8x driving impressions on this forum have come from people that previously owned one (or 3) F8x's.

Many of the G8x reviews on youtube make the direct comparison as well.

Many of us F8x guys are still waiting to take delivery on custom orders.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3320.00
      05-11-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:

Not sure if you were looking at an Individual option for interior because there is no standard interior leather option that would be described as brown. At least not in the US.

I assume you meant Green/Brown as Isle of Man Green/Kyalami Orange. It looks brown in the online configurator but it is not at all brown. It is a very bright orange. Looks fantastic in this color combo but I am biased because it is what I have
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

I had a 2018 F80 ZCP and traded it in on Friday for my G82 Competition, so as a disclaimer I cannot compare manuals, and I cannot directly compare M3 to M3.

With that said, I was a HUGE fan of the F80. The looks, the DCT, the low end torque, the convenience of the 4 doors, etc. I truly loved that car. Thanks to the trade in value market today, I received one hell of an offer that I could not turn down for the G82. This part is completely subjective, but I did not like the looks of the F82 (especially compared to the F80). However, I feel the opposite about this generation, and really love the G82 looks over the G80 to the point I was willing to go with a coupe instead of a sedan. And honestly, one of the major pros of these cars is that you can take it to the track and pick the kids up from school (something that will become much more difficult for me now with the M4).

Anyway, lets get into the differences. The tech between the two cars is night and day, to the point its not even worth talking about. This car actually feels like an 80k car on the inside, where as the F80 never did. The cabin noise and road feel are much improved compared to last model. One of the main gripes of the F80 was the poor exhaust note compared to its competition at the time. While the S58 is not producing the nice sound of a V8, it is substantially better than the S55. I had the bucket seats in my M3 and went with the regular seats in the M4. The bucket seats certainly look cooler, but the regular seats with the many adjustments are so much more comfortable. After playing around with the lumbar and other various settings, I would not take the bucket seats even if they were the same price. In fact, I would pay for these seats if the buckets came standard.

I only have a few hundred miles on the car, so I will let the drivers with more experience compare and contrast the cars above 5500rpm (damn break-in period). Below 5500, I will say the DCT was more exciting. That jerky feel and low-end torque you got from the F80 always put a smile on my face. The G82 just seems so capable, and the ZF8 does such a good job that I seem to be at the speed limit before I know it. My wife certainly enjoys the smoother ride though. I have put it into sport and sport+ mode and done quick accelerations and taken it on country roads with lots of bends. The G82 feels much more planted to the ground on these familiar corners and doesn't seem like it's ever breaking a sweat, even in MDM mode. I cannot wait to have the break-in period over with so I can get a proper test. The anticipation of riding the red line in the S58 is killing me. I am sure it will be an absolute blast.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help. If I think of anything else, I will make an edit on this post.

EDIT: The HK sound system feels very similar, if not the same as the F80, which is disappointing, but not terrible. I have noticed that on the F80 I preferred to have the logic surround turned off, but in the new cabin it sounds better with it on (although I set the surround slider one notch to the right). The sound has improved imo after making EQ setting changes, something I also found to be true in the F80.

///M

Last edited by Der_Wolf; 05-11-2021 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 7
02M3ForMe4257.00
heavyD^23688.50
KevinGS3320.00
///AVM2528.00
Bl0ck101.00
      05-11-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
acre22f90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Quote:

Not sure if you were looking at an Individual option for interior because there is no standard interior leather option that would be described as brown. At least not in the US.

I assume you meant Green/Brown as Isle of Man Green/Kyalami Orange. It looks brown in the online configurator but it is not at all brown. It is a very bright orange. Looks fantastic in this color combo but I am biased because it is what I have
Tartufo is available and considered tan/brown. I have it waiting at the port for me. No added cost either.
      05-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I've had 4 M4 6MT, 1 M2C DCT, 1 M2 6MT, and 1 F80 CS.

If you're going manual again, everything except full throttle-low revs acceleration is going to feel like a serious upgrade. The big story is the upgrade in handling and steering feel. Noticeably more front end grip, more composed rear end, and sharper and more obedient response to steering inputs all contribute to a feeling of agility that will exceed any expectations set by the car's reported weight and physical dimensions. You may find yourself looking for backroads to exercise it.

You've experienced the upgrade in tech and interior. On the move, you'll enjoy the better HUD execution, especially in M-Mode. If you opt for the CF bucket seats, you'll find that they enhance the drive and make the whole experience feel "special". The delta between G8x and F8x will feel even bigger. No factory M3 of any generation has ever given you the locked-in experience of going around curves that the new buckets in a car this capable do.

The new M1/M2 buttons placement is something that should be talked about more. You're effectively encouraged to go in and out of modes based on changing road conditions. Whereas before I'd generally sit in the same mode for an entire trip, now I'll see a yellow 25mph curve warning sign and push the M1 button to dial up Sport Plus chassis to take it at speed, then push M1 again afterwards to go back to all comfort (everything is set to Efficient/Comfort if you press the same button again). It's really easy to have your cake and eat it with this car; it's designed for it.

I honestly can't envision an F8x 6MT owner being anything but pleased with the upgrade.
Appreciate 8
Vic5519234.00
Der_Wolf888.00
heavyD^23688.50
KevinGS3320.00
///AVM2528.00
PLF693766.00
      05-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACremona22 View Post
Tartufo is available and considered tan/brown. I have it waiting at the port for me. No added cost either.
Ah nice! I didn't see that option online when I ordered mine.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #8
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACremona22 View Post
Ah nice! I didn't see that option online when I ordered mine.
It's not in the configurator but the dealer can order it for you. I think it's considered a quasi-individual order - doesn't have a cost and isn't subject to approval, but also isn't "standard".
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #9
My8thMandcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I came most recently from a 2018 F80. And, like several posters above noted, the technology is night and day. In fact, it's to the point that after right at 2 months, I feel like there's still a lot of tech to tweak and play with.

I like the HUD better in the G80, but don't like having to be in sport mode to get the tach in HUD. Carplay, Spotify and other apps are all significantly better and easier to use. If you use Spotify, use the resident app it's more seamless and you can set your home page as a preset (basically, Carplay as a preset, spotify as a preset and satellite as a preset lets you get better access to music than the F80).

I like aspects of the transmission, but having found the sweetspot settings for shift speed. In the F80 I always drove in self shift mode. In the G80, it's a bit more complicated because it won't revert back unless you manually put it back in full auto. I find some of the low end shifting less smooth in the G80 than the DCT.

At highway speed, however, the G80 is a beast. I had competition in the F80 and competition in the G80 and the over take power on the highway is noticeably better. When you hit the gas and the turbo kicks in the G80 really launches. I notice it more post break in service than before when I was a rev/speed watcher.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
NYCMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by My8thMandcounting View Post

I like the HUD better in the G80, but don't like having to be in sport mode to get the tach in HUD. Carplay, Spotify and other apps are all significantly better and easier to use. If you use Spotify, use the resident app it's more seamless and you can set your home page as a preset (basically, Carplay as a preset, spotify as a preset and satellite as a preset lets you get better access to music than the F80).
It's a bit cumbersome, but I think you may be able to activate the MDM sport display, then dial back the individual driving settings while keeping the sport display. This seemed to work for me when I tried it.

If you use the car's Spotify app instead of CarPlay, can you play whole albums like on a computer instead of just shuffle play like on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #11
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I've had 4 M4 6MT, 1 M2C DCT, 1 M2 6MT, and 1 F80 CS.

If you're going manual again, everything except full throttle-low revs acceleration is going to feel like a serious upgrade. The big story is the upgrade in handling and steering feel. Noticeably more front end grip, more composed rear end, and sharper and more obedient response to steering inputs all contribute to a feeling of agility that will exceed any expectations set by the car's reported weight and physical dimensions. You may find yourself looking for backroads to exercise it.

You've experienced the upgrade in tech and interior. On the move, you'll enjoy the better HUD execution, especially in M-Mode. If you opt for the CF bucket seats, you'll find that they enhance the drive and make the whole experience feel "special". The delta between G8x and F8x will feel even bigger. No factory M3 of any generation has ever given you the locked-in experience of going around curves that the new buckets in a car this capable do.

The new M1/M2 buttons placement is something that should be talked about more. You're effectively encouraged to go in and out of modes based on changing road conditions. Whereas before I'd generally sit in the same mode for an entire trip, now I'll see a yellow 25mph curve warning sign and push the M1 button to dial up Sport Plus chassis to take it at speed, then push M1 again afterwards to go back to all comfort (everything is set to Efficient/Comfort if you press the same button again). It's really easy to have your cake and eat it with this car; it's designed for it.

I honestly can't envision an F8x 6MT owner being anything but pleased with the upgrade.
How would you compare the M3Cs to the g80? I'm currently in the Cs myself and love driving it. Don't care about tech, comfort, etc. From a sheer driving experience, how does the g80 compare?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #12
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
How would you compare the M3Cs to the g80? I'm currently in the Cs myself and love driving it. Don't care about tech, comfort, etc. From a sheer driving experience, how does the g80 compare?
If you ever wished they made the CS with a manual transmission, this is your car.

I loved my CS. Compared to the CS, the steering and handling upgrades make the G80 feel even tighter and lighter on its feet. I feel the G80 is basically a CS+ because it’s a more complete realization of the driving dynamics improvements the CS made over the regular F8x cars. So, expect more grip, more composure, more steering sharpness. The powerband is shifted up, so you trade in low-end beef for a more rewarding high-end. I haven’t test driven the G80 Comp yet, so I’m not in a position to comment on DCT versus ZF.

I’d perfectly understand an F80 CS driver keeping that car, especially if looks (traditional grilles) and DCT rate highly and tech and interior quality rate lower. However, I expect a G80 CS/CSL to seal the deal and allow you to let go of your CS without reservations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bri10425893.50
      05-12-2021, 02:32 AM   #13
Wamion117
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Quote:
Quote:

There is a brown individual color that many have on order but no delivery's yet
      05-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamion117 View Post
There is a brown individual color that many have on order but no delivery's yet
There has been a couple of deliveries of Tartufo interiors if memory serves right.

There is a whole thread dedicated to it in the photos/videos section.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #15
wasya152
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3CS

Quote:
If you ever wished they made the CS with a manual transmission, this is your car.

I loved my CS. Compared to the CS, the steering and handling upgrades make the G80 feel even tighter and lighter on its feet. I feel the G80 is basically a CS+ because it’s a more complete realization of the driving dynamics improvements the CS made over the regular F8x cars. So, expect more grip, more composure, more steering sharpness. The powerband is shifted up, so you trade in low-end beef for a more rewarding high-end. I haven’t test driven the G80 Comp yet, so I’m not in a position to comment on DCT versus ZF.

I’d perfectly understand an F80 CS driver keeping that car, especially if looks (traditional grilles) and DCT rate highly and tech and interior quality rate lower. However, I expect a G80 CS/CSL to seal the deal and allow you to let go of your CS without reservations.
Well, that sealed the deal for me. I definitely will be looking to get g80 once my cs lease is up in 8 months. The test drive will be needed to be 100% sure, but don't really see anything changing though.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      05-12-2021, 10:20 PM   #16
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasya152 View Post
Well, that sealed the deal for me. I definitely will be looking to get g80 once my cs lease is up in 8 months. The test drive will be needed to be 100% sure, but don't really see anything changing though.
I think that’s the ideal plan. Dealers should (hopefully) become more negotiable, the full range will be available (AWD), and you can enjoy any 2nd year improvements (though, like the F80/82, this is a well-built machine with no obvious first-year problems).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #17
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
I had a 2018 F80 ZCP and traded it in on Friday for my G82 Competition, so as a disclaimer I cannot compare manuals, and I cannot directly compare M3 to M3.

With that said, I was a HUGE fan of the F80. The looks, the DCT, the low end torque, the convenience of the 4 doors, etc. I truly loved that car. Thanks to the trade in value market today, I received one hell of an offer that I could not turn down for the G82. This part is completely subjective, but I did not like the looks of the F82 (especially compared to the F80). However, I feel the opposite about this generation, and really love the G82 looks over the G80 to the point I was willing to go with a coupe instead of a sedan. And honestly, one of the major pros of these cars is that you can take it to the track and pick the kids up from school (something that will become much more difficult for me now with the M4).

Anyway, lets get into the differences. The tech between the two cars is night and day, to the point its not even worth talking about. This car actually feels like an 80k car on the inside, where as the F80 never did. The cabin noise and road feel are much improved compared to last model. One of the main gripes of the F80 was the poor exhaust note compared to its competition at the time. While the S58 is not producing the nice sound of a V8, it is substantially better than the S55. I had the bucket seats in my M3 and went with the regular seats in the M4. The bucket seats certainly look cooler, but the regular seats with the many adjustments are so much more comfortable. After playing around with the lumbar and other various settings, I would not take the bucket seats even if they were the same price. In fact, I would pay for these seats if the buckets came standard.

I only have a few hundred miles on the car, so I will let the drivers with more experience compare and contrast the cars above 5500rpm (damn break-in period). Below 5500, I will say the DCT was more exciting. That jerky feel and low-end torque you got from the F80 always put a smile on my face. The G82 just seems so capable, and the ZF8 does such a good job that I seem to be at the speed limit before I know it. My wife certainly enjoys the smoother ride though. I have put it into sport and sport+ mode and done quick accelerations and taken it on country roads with lots of bends. The G82 feels much more planted to the ground on these familiar corners and doesn't seem like it's ever breaking a sweat, even in MDM mode. I cannot wait to have the break-in period over with so I can get a proper test. The anticipation of riding the red line in the S58 is killing me. I am sure it will be an absolute blast.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help. If I think of anything else, I will make an edit on this post.

EDIT: The HK sound system feels very similar, if not the same as the F80, which is disappointing, but not terrible. I have noticed that on the F80 I preferred to have the logic surround turned off, but in the new cabin it sounds better with it on (although I set the surround slider one notch to the right). The sound has improved imo after making EQ setting changes, something I also found to be true in the F80.
I can’t wait to hop into a G80 M3/M4 to test drive. I’m currently in an M340i from an F80 ZCP. I do agree the new tech inside these cars is way better than the last generation. Interior is also an improvement I completely agree. I can’t tell you how many rattles I had in my F80 M3 it drove me nuts. I most likely would not get the bucket seats as well since they can’t do ventilation.

Thanks for your feedback I certainly appreciated it.
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      05-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #18
Stage1
Curiosity Killed the Cat
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [8.00]
2016 Cayman GT4  [0.00]
2016 Wrangler  [0.00]
I have had the following M cars - E92 M3 coupe, F82 M4, M4 GTS, and now G82 M4C. They are all unique in their own way. As the most recent comparison for me, the GTS was definitely much rawer as one would expect compared to the G82...but there is something about the G82 I really do like. When you get in it, it feels more luxurious, yet you have all the power you need in your right foot. It does feel a bit faster and more torquey than the GTS was. I do agreed with most peoples feedback regarding the sound...it just isnt there...as well as the steering. I prefer a weighty steering feel and in the sport setting, the steering is still very pedestrian, although accurate. When you point the car, it goes where you want it to. Overall I am a fan, but will be excited when we can turn of active sound, and add some bolts on go fast parts.

I'M BACK - 2016 M4 GTS
I'M BACK AGAIN - 2021 M4 COMP FPB
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #19
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

i havent read such a biased review for a long time.

if you order full plastic f8x of course will look very cheap. get full leather and some custom bits, it will change your diea

which tech is superior btw? new traction system? lane change assist? hud??? or dct vs zf8 ? and the sound? s58 has by far one of the worst exhaust notes. it even change my thoughts about s55 exhaust. i think it is ok lol.

i dont care which car is better / superior however i can't stop myself replying when i see a hugely fanboied review.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli333 View Post
Quote:

i havent read such a biased review for a long time.

if you order full plastic f8x of course will look very cheap. get full leather and some custom bits, it will change your diea

which tech is superior btw? new traction system? lane change assist? hud??? or dct vs zf8 ? and the sound? s58 has by far one of the worst exhaust notes. it even change my thoughts about s55 exhaust. i think it is ok lol.

i dont care which car is better / superior however i can't stop myself replying when i see a hugely fanboied review.
Lol. My f80 had about every package you could get on it. How am I going to be biased when I owned both of them?

Honestly man I don't even want to waste my time replying to you if you associate tech with DSC. Not to mention it is about universally accepted on here the stock exhaust on this S58 is superior to the S55

///M
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think his review is fair. He noted where the F80 is better (low end torque, DCT excitement). The G80 is 6 years newer, and it should be no surprise that it's better than the old car in many, many ways.

Regarding interior and tech, the difference is vast.

-Fully digital gauge cluster with better graphics and more data/increased configurability
-Better, larger, and more informative HUD
-Full screen Apple Carplay with more ergonomic iDrive screen placement
-Full 360-degree camera view, including front camera
-Proximity-based comfort access
-Power trunk opening/closing
-Drive Recorder 360 external dash cam
-Carbon fiber bucket seats
-Digital Drive Key and Remote Start (Competition only)
-Configurable interior LED ambient lighting
-Dedicated toggle button for exhaust valves/Active Sound
-More ergonomic and intuitive M1/2 button placement
-Ventilated seats (standard seats only)
-Individual toggle for auto-revmatching
-Improved interior materials and design

The difference between the two generations is pretty stark on the inside.
Appreciate 2
Der_Wolf888.00
      06-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #22
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think his review is fair. He noted where the F80 is better (low end torque, DCT excitement). The G80 is 6 years newer, and it should be no surprise that it's better than the old car in many, many ways.

Regarding interior and tech, the difference is vast.

-Fully digital gauge cluster with better graphics and more data/increased configurability
-Better, larger, and more informative HUD
-Full screen Apple Carplay with more ergonomic iDrive screen placement
-Full 360-degree camera view, including front camera
-Proximity-based comfort access
-Power trunk opening/closing
-Drive Recorder 360 external dash cam
-Carbon fiber bucket seats
-Digital Drive Key and Remote Start (Competition only)
-Configurable interior LED ambient lighting
-Dedicated toggle button for exhaust valves/Active Sound
-More ergonomic and intuitive M1/2 button placement
-Ventilated seats (standard seats only)
-Individual toggle for auto-revmatching
-Improved interior materials and design

The difference between the two generations is pretty stark on the inside.
You and I both know what it is. He has an F82 and he didn't like my findings because he probably doesn't like the grille so he's trying to justify why he's keeping the F82.

I'm not sure why he thought I had a "plastic" F80. Nowhere in my review did I say I bought a Hasbro.

Thank you for reiterating my points and listing out the interior difference, which is night and day.

///M
Appreciate 2
02M3ForMe4257.00