BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V3/GC Camber Plate Knocking

05-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

KW V3/GC Camber Plate Knocking

I recently purchased KW V3's with GC Camber plates of which has resulted in a very loud knocking noise when going over even the slightest road imperfections. I've ran the car with and without the plates. With OEM there is no noticeable noises. The shop that installed them said that GC replied to them saying the NVH Bearings in OEM's are the reasons for the noise differences which I understand and was expecting extra noises, this however is very loud. However this shop had the same camber plates with Ohlins Coilovers and had zero issues.

Is this a KW/GC pairing issue? Is this normal for camber plates?

Basically, I am at a loss with what to do. The shop checked everything over and said everything was tight, which I would imagine includes all suspension components. They cant be returned and its too loud to use. Are there other suspension components that need replacing when buying camber plates?

I can take a lot of noises but this one is too obtrusive, it sounds like the front suspension isn't seated and hits very hard when driving. It doesn't matter at what speed either. The Car handles great though. Camber plates are currently off the car and I unfortunately don't have a video.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the GC's is there a sleeve missing between the damper shaft and the spherical bearing.

As an example if the KW has a shaft diameter of 12mm and the spherical bearing has an inside diameter of 15mm the damper will move within the bearing.

When you purchase the camber plates they supply the correct hardware so there is no slop. Maybe you got the wrong one.
      05-22-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Did the installer move the black rubber spring bearing over from the OEM mounts onto the GC plates when installing?

(They’re supposed to for OEM/KW springs).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Do you have them set too soft? If you're dialed all the way down for comfort, there's going to be some chatter over bumps. The stock settings in the KW manual is a good starting point.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

There's a good chance that the nut that threads onto the damper shaft is loose.

The KW shaft is shorter than OEM, and the GC plates are taller than OEM. There may only be 2 or 3 threads exposed for the nut to thread onto. Either the nut is loose or just isn't making enough contact for a tight fit.

I had this problem with the BMW MPerformance coilovers (which are KW V3's with different valving and different springs). I returned the GC plates and used TC Klines instead.
Appreciate 1