BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Review: KW DDC ECU for M2C

06-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
goobus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition '19

Review: KW DDC ECU for M2C

Have had the KW DDC ECU (without the WLAN Module) installed for around a month and 1000km now. Figured I'd let you guys know my thoughts since reviews on this suspension setup are hard to find. Disclaimer, I haven't experienced any other after market suspension.

My Setup: Stock except for the suspension. Car is on new Pilot Super Sports from BMW dealer.

Objective: Retain sport functionality while improving ride quality. I chose the DDC because I wanted to be able to switch between modes as this is my daily driver/only car and the wife is sensitive to a bumpy ride. The M2C was almost unbearable over broken roads and potholes, of which there are many in Hong Kong.

Performance: Where the OEM suspension was very harsh over bumps, the KW DDC has really impressed me with it's improved damping in all modes. These coilovers have really taken the edge off of bumps. It's hard for me to say whether all high quality coilovers feel this way, but it definitely feels much higher quality. In my mind the back-breaking "crunch" I used to experience on stock suspension has disappeared and it's now much more bearable.

Comfort mode especially has impressed me in terms of the improved ride quality. Where previously even small bumps like cats eyes or weather strips on highways would be very unpleasant, I can now still feel them, but seems like the car almost glides over them without transferring too much of the shock into the cabin.

One thing, though - in comfort mode the suspension does take a bit to recover from larger shocks, especially at slower speeds when compared to OEM. Others have noted this as well. The trade-off for the improved comfort seems to be increased side to side swaying whenever you go over a bump on one side of the car for about an additional second or so.

Sport mode seems to be a good mode for daily driving when the wife is not in the car - it's just right, and reduces a lot of the swaying that happens. It does, however, slightly increase the amount of time it takes to settle from shocks, so still a slight level of 'bounciness' especially at lower speeds. As others have mentioned this is closest to stock firmness, only with much improved damping.

Sport+ is actually my favorite. The firmness is slightly firmer than stock, but by no means uncomfortable. I wouldn't use it on bad roads for sure, but I love it when going faster around corners.

The car feels a lot more planted versus stock suspension. The car just goes now when I go WOT from a standstill, with reduced wheelslip. Cornering also feels much better now.

Looks: I have the DDC set a little lower than the max height, and now it's mostly eliminated the wheel gap. It looks much better than stock, although I might get it raised since I actually don't like the car this low. Have attached a pic of the front wheel.

Conclusion: Highly recommend the DDC for anyone who is looking for improved comfort while daily driving, but wishes to retain optionality for sportier suspension settings. The car feels really great now and even the wife has mentioned it feels a lot better than stock. Performance is improved with the car feeling a lot more planted when WOT and around corners. The button that goes into the cigarette lighter is pretty nice to use and have had no issues with using it while driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
WagonR293.00
      06-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #2
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Thanks for the write up, there aren't a lot of reviews out there on this for the M2.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Pics of button?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 01:20 AM   #4
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Have heard same thing before about these but for another car that settling after bumps can be wallowy. Seems a little weird/not fully optimised?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have the KW DDC suspension in an OG M2 and it was a game changer for me. Belgium might have the worst roads in Europe making the stock suspension very had to live with. The DDC means you can live with it day to day and tighten it up when the condition are right!

The WLAN modal allows you to dial in the stock setting. Not a lot of information out there on setting it up (in English anyway) but just playing with it a bit will get you where you want to be pretty quickly.

I didn't want to give up the cigarette lighter (read USB) function so I had the button installed in the lower dash...plus it keeps the blue/purple/red LED light ring out of your peripheral vision at night
Attached Images

06-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #6
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Have heard same thing before about these but for another car that settling after bumps can be wallowy. Seems a little weird/not fully optimised?
Of course I'm a bit biased as I've got it but I'm no sure where you heard this from. I've been running it for coming up on two years and nothing about it is wallowy. On a street car, all suspension set ups are a compromise but I think KW have optimized the DDC to be better than the OE/stock suspension and have provided a lot of adjustability for daily use and spirted track driving so I'll take that as a win.
      06-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #7
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Of course I'm a bit biased as I've got it but I'm no sure where you heard this from. I've been running it for coming up on two years and nothing about it is wallowy. On a street car, all suspension set ups are a compromise but I think KW have optimized the DDC to be better than the OE/stock suspension and have provided a lot of adjustability for daily use and spirted track driving so I'll take that as a win.
Is the KW DDC in principle not worse for racetrack than KW V3?
If the only issue is the cost, then I am going that route with KW DDC.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #8
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

what are the spring rates in this kit? just curious.
Appreciate 0