F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2018 340 - first mods
Studio RSR

06-28-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

2018 340 - first mods

Picking up my first BMW this week. I was thinking of getting the BMS billet intake along with the jb4.

I'm just looking for some extra power but not at the expense of reliability. I ran into alot of threads regarding Canadian gas quality.

From what I gather, without adding anything to the fuel, if I stick to Petro 94, am I ok to run map 2 on the jb4? Or is map 1 the limit? And in terms of a difference in power to the wheels, what can I expect with a simple intake , and map1 or map 2.

Newbie here with alot of questions

Thanks!

Last edited by Red-i; 06-28-2021 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Email notification
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

FWIW, on this platform and most modern turbo cars, intake is the worst 1st mod for power because the stock intake is so good. The stock B58 intake is no exception.

A piggyback tune such as JB4 is a better 1st mod, however works by basically tricking the ecu to give you more power, but there's something better.

A stage1 flash tune, such as BM3 or MHD, is the best option for your 1st mod since it reprograms the DME increasing power with the smoothest delivery.

Please read through and query in the B58 engine subforum for better info and response.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=663
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

...and if you're still under warranty, be careful. I hear that if they see a tune they won't be responsible for almost anything wrong. Many here seem to wait for the warranty period to end.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
FWIW, on this platform and most modern turbo cars, intake is the worst 1st mod for power because the stock intake is so good. The stock B58 intake is no exception.

A piggyback tune such as JB4 is a better 1st mod, however works by basically tricking the ecu to give you more power, but there's something better.

A stage1 flash tune, such as BM3 or MHD, is the best option for your 1st mod since it reprograms the DME increasing power with the smoothest delivery.

Please read through and query in the B58 engine subforum for better info and response.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
...and if you're still under warranty, be careful. I hear that if they see a tune they won't be responsible for almost anything wrong. Many here seem to wait for the warranty period to end.
This I was sort of assuming. I assume that might be the upside of a jb4, in that, it could be removed, And assuming it's a piggyback system i'd assume they wouldn't know.

that being said, i did extend the warranty of the car until 100kms, it has just over 50 on it now so i have a bunch of warranty (which I wanted considering I don't know the car/platform well... it's all new territory).

I appreciate the heads up
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

Thanks! I appreciate the info. Lots and lots for me to learn
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

regarding JB4. even if it is removed, the data stored on the DME can be retrieved and deciphered. aame with a flash tune, you can flash back to stock but existing stored data could be deciphered. since both leave evidence, flashing is still the better way and what i'd recommend.

regarding warranty, if you're going to worry about it, leave it stock. most of us on the forums are "modders". we do extensive research and query to become informed as possible about any mod, understand the risk vs reward and avoid worrying much about any negative consequence, thereafter.

this platform is a generation old and many have "been there, done that" on what you are doing now, so there is no shortage of info on anything you are considering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Skip the JB4 and get a Flash from BM3, MHD, or MG Flasher
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #9
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Great overview video. Thanks dude.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
I can't speak for the US but in Canada the dealers can all now instantly see that you've flashed your car, even if you flash back to stock. This means that your warranty would be void of things affected. So if your engine blows, no warranty coverage. If your tail lights stopped working though, you're covered. As for JB4, it's less obvious but still something they could figure out, but they'd really only be looking if there was a reason. If you're concerned about warranty at all, stick to cosmetic mods. You probably paid extra for that warranty, doesn't make sense to void it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:36 PM   #11
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
I can't speak for the US but in Canada the dealers can all now instantly see that you've flashed your car, even if you flash back to stock. This means that your warranty would be void of things affected. So if your engine blows, no warranty coverage. If your tail lights stopped working though, you're covered. As for JB4, it's less obvious but still something they could figure out, but they'd really only be looking if there was a reason. If you're concerned about warranty at all, stick to cosmetic mods. You probably paid extra for that warranty, doesn't make sense to void it.
thanks, I appreciate the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
bunch23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Xdrive

I don't know about the inline 6 engines, but I drive an F30 n26 and I found a less popular mod that I never really see anyone mention for initial mods for f30's. The Dinantronics Sport Tuner. First, I have to disagree with air intake being a poor first purchase. If you combine the intake with an Afe Magnum intake scoop (goes behind the kidney grille) believe me, you notice the added power instantly. I find the sound of the intake combined with the added low-end kick to be well worth a few hundred bucks and 20minutes of your time to install. Now, if you do intake and add the Dinantronics Sport Tuner, you will get up to 21lbs of boost from your stock turbo (again, this is with a 2.0 single turbo). The sport tuner from Dinan was on the lower end cost-wise and is from a very reputable brand. It is also super easy to install and remove, so no warranty worries. You simply plug it into the boost pressure gauge and done. I don't know if they make one for the 6cyl but it would be well worth looking into. I know the JB4 is what everyone raves about, but I believe you may be able to combine the two. Not certain about that. As I mentioned, I have an N26, K&N air intake with Afe air scoop and the Dinan tuner. Only engine mods I've done. I've lowered the car about an inch and a half and have slightly lighter wheels than stock and I can hit 60 in less than 4 secs. I attribute all of that to the tuner. This is also using 93 octane premium fuel. No additives or racing/hybrid fuels.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunch23 View Post
I don't know about the inline 6 engines, but I drive an F30 n26 and I found a less popular mod that I never really see anyone mention for initial mods for f30's. The Dinantronics Sport Tuner. First, I have to disagree with air intake being a poor first purchase. If you combine the intake with an Afe Magnum intake scoop (goes behind the kidney grille) believe me, you notice the added power instantly. I find the sound of the intake combined with the added low-end kick to be well worth a few hundred bucks and 20minutes of your time to install. Now, if you do intake and add the Dinantronics Sport Tuner, you will get up to 21lbs of boost from your stock turbo (again, this is with a 2.0 single turbo). The sport tuner from Dinan was on the lower end cost-wise and is from a very reputable brand. It is also super easy to install and remove, so no warranty worries. You simply plug it into the boost pressure gauge and done. I don't know if they make one for the 6cyl but it would be well worth looking into. I know the JB4 is what everyone raves about, but I believe you may be able to combine the two. Not certain about that. As I mentioned, I have an N26, K&N air intake with Afe air scoop and the Dinan tuner. Only engine mods I've done. I've lowered the car about an inch and a half and have slightly lighter wheels than stock and I can hit 60 in less than 4 secs. I attribute all of that to the tuner. This is also using 93 octane premium fuel. No additives or racing/hybrid fuels.
1. Sorry, but intake doesn't add power. Fundamentally the DME uses a load-based tune so if you are meeting load target, the intake will do nothing. The only thing it can potentially do is lower WGDC at a given power level if it allows the turbo to breathe easier, but i also demonstrated that is not really the case, and at least for the N55, a turbo inlet offers far more than a intake and a turbo inlet paired with OEM intake, MPPK airbox bottom, and dry filter is the best combination: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289

2. Nothing is wrong with the sport tuner if you want a little bump in power with easy install but its an archaic way to add boost in the world of flash tunes. It relies entirely on the DME to correct for the added boost since it operates by tricking the DME into thinking boost is lower than it actually is, so fueling, timing, etc, are only controlled in a reactive fashion.

It's also false to say there are no warranty issues since in theory piggybacks can still be deleted via examination of the other DME parameters, even if its removed before you going to the dealer. Sure, less worry than a full flash, but not worry free.

3. The AFE scoop is also negligible except in very specific situations like tracking the car or similar use case. Plus it forces additional dirt and debris into your airbox/filter.

Also, let's see your sub 4s 0-60 data from an n26 with only those mods, please
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #14
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Holy cow hahahaha that post from @bunch23 is downright delusional... sub 4 second 0-60s in an n26, he's got the most powerful dinan sporttuner in the world!!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Steep hill maybe?

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #16
F36_ny
Rep
Drives: 440i

I just picked up a 2019 f36 440 gc and have a similar question
What kind of power gains can you expect from a stage 1 tune?
I want a catted down pipe And stage 2 tune but I won’t pass inspection in nyc from what I’ve heard. Im planning on using bootmod
Can anyone with b58 experience chime in on their experience with power gains on stage 1 or passing emission inspections on stage 2 with a down pipe
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36_ny View Post
I just picked up a 2019 f36 440 gc and have a similar question
What kind of power gains can you expect from a stage 1 tune?
I want a catted down pipe And stage 2 tune but I won’t pass inspection in nyc from what I’ve heard. Im planning on using bootmod
Can anyone with b58 experience chime in on their experience with power gains on stage 1 or passing emission inspections on stage 2 with a down pipe
Go to the B58 technical section as it is far better for these questions. If its anything like N55 there will literally be thousands of posts answering exactly what you have asked.

Also, if the Active Autowerke DP is available for B58 (which I believe it is), it should be EPA certified 49 state legal, which means it is actually legal in NY. Its the only one i am aware of. Others like fabspeed may get your emissions monitors ready but can still technically fail visual. Without one of these "legit" downpipes, you will need some kind of workaround.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:02 AM   #18
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

I bought the extended warranty for my 340i xDrive from BMW upon delivery. Had them install the MPPSK and a few other factory M Performance interior/exterior mods but did replace the suspension with Koni's and Eibach springs for a mild drop. May look into the M Performance LSD at some point. I still get 30+ mpg on day trips but the car rips hard in sport + when I feel the need. I never cringe taking it to the dealer and the mods will not hurt resale.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #19
oksymoroni
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner340 View Post
I bought the extended warranty for my 340i xDrive from BMW upon delivery. Had them install the MPPSK and a few other factory M Performance interior/exterior mods but did replace the suspension with Koni's and Eibach springs for a mild drop. May look into the M Performance LSD at some point. I still get 30+ mpg on day trips but the car rips hard in sport + when I feel the need. I never cringe taking it to the dealer and the mods will not hurt resale.
Off topic but how do you like the Koni/Eibach combo? I just ordered some but they are taking forever to ship
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #20
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksymoroni View Post
Off topic but how do you like the Koni/Eibach combo? I just ordered some but they are taking forever to ship
I'm happy with my decision. It's a more practical real world lowered suspension for me. My days of slamming the chassis and driving on rubber band tires are over ($$$$). Car rides just slightly stiffer than stock and it lowered the car as much as I dare (approx +/- 1" ) for the New England roads. Running 18's too for same reason. I still need to be cognizant with speed bumps and pot holes which "will" bottom out the suspension and entering steep driveway ramps with the MP lip spoiler. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #21
SFV818
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i - BM3 Stage 2 FBO

If you're not worried about warranty and have an indie mechanic you like then tune it with BM3. Best bang for your buck and as "reliable" as it gets in terms of tuning.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #22
Red-i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV818 View Post
If you're not worried about warranty and have an indie mechanic you like then tune it with BM3. Best bang for your buck and as "reliable" as it gets in terms of tuning.
Thank you . And in terms of stage 1 with gas, does it matter which premium fuel I go with ? I'm in Canada so shell 91 is ethanol free. I believe anything listed as 93 or 94 contains ethanol.
Appreciate 0