M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rotors quick question

06-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Rotors quick question

So I tried searching this on google like crazy and I can't find anything or something close to what I want to know.

So my question is how long does a oem set of rotors last usually roughly

My car currently has 28k miles
I'm almost sure I'm still on the same rotors from when it came out the lot
I'm the second owner

And I noticed that sooner or later ima need pads

Now my second questions should I get pads and slap them on with my current rotors or should I just save up and get the whole brake service kit
Pads
Rotors
Sensors
Fluid

(rotors doesn't have any signs of cracks on the drilled holes no signs of cracks etc. btw)

I looked at all the old records that the previous owner handed to me and fluid changed was replaced last year but I don't see anything about rotors or pads ever being replaced in this car

It was sitting at 27k when I bought it
Now is at 28k

What do you guys recommend

I am thinking of getting some better pads I will track this car maybe in oct or nov

And I do go twice or up to 3 times a month up to the canyons and do some nice spirit driving
      06-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Your iDrive under the service menu will tell you when you need new pads. You need to measure the thckness of the rotors to tell if they need to be replaced. Though I would be surprised if they need replacement before 50K miles.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post
So I tried searching this on google like crazy and I can't find anything or something close to what I want to know.

I'm the second owner

Now my second questions should I get pads and slap them on with my current rotors or should I just save up and get the whole brake service kit
Pads
Rotors
Sensors
Fluid

(rotors doesn't have any signs of cracks on the drilled holes no signs of cracks etc. btw)

I looked at all the old records that the previous owner handed to me and fluid changed was replaced last year but I don't see anything about rotors or pads ever being replaced in this car

Now is at 28k

I am thinking of getting some better pads I will track this car maybe in oct or nov

And I do go twice or up to 3 times a month up to the canyons and do some nice spirit driving
Just changed my Front stock rotors with new OEM rotors after 35,000 miles, 20 track days, rest daily driving. New rotors are 30 MM thick, minimum allowed is 28.4 MM. Mine were 29.06 MM, which means there was still good life left in them. If I can find someone who still turns rotors i will true them up and use as a dedicated set for OEM Pads. As for Pad sensors, if your Tracking I would tie them back with a Zip Tie for Track Pads.
      06-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Your iDrive under the service menu will tell you when you need new pads. You need to measure the thckness of the rotors to tell if they need to be replaced. Though I would be surprised if they need replacement before 50K miles.
Ima measure the thickness of the rotors today just to see where I am at

And yes I know my I drive tells me when I need to replace pads

I was just wondering how many miles people go with there pads and rotors roughly

Like the guy here mentioned 35k with 20 track days that's a lot of track days
This car hasn't seen a track yet
Just normal daily driving .

maybe I can run a set of new pads soon

Just to upgrade from the stock pads
And still run stock rotors for a bit longer

But before I do that I'll check the measurements on the rotors
      06-30-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarortiz23 View Post

I'm the second owner

Pads
Rotors
Sensors
Fluid

Now is at 28k

Just changed my Front stock rotors with new OEM rotors after 35,000 miles, 20 track days, rest daily driving. New rotors are 30 MM thick, minimum allowed is 28.4 MM. Mine were 29.06 MM, which means there was still good life left in them. If I can find someone who still turns rotors i will true them up and use as a dedicated set for OEM Pads. As for Pad sensors, if your Tracking I would tie them back with a Zip Tie for Track Pads.
Ima measure my rotors today just to see where I am at
      06-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

My front rotors were down to min thickness at around 70K km at which time original oem pads had 2-3mm left and Pagid RSL29 for track had 3-4mm remaining (I leave the wear sensors zip tied). Rotors also had a few cracks but non joined 2 drill holes.
I replace both oem & track pads with the new front rotors, if only using oem pads I guess the rotors should be good for around half a 2nd set of pads.

I'm now at 87K km & my rear rotors have .6mm left, very recently put new oem pads in and still have around 50% of the Pagid 29's remaining
Appreciate 0