BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
TexasM4
Rep
Drives: M4

M4 xDrive vs Nissan GTR

Anyone else looking at both of these?

I am patiently waiting on the M4 Xdrive to become available. The BMW without a doubt is a nicer and more updated car. Also 25,000 cheaper new to new price.

Any reason to still look at the GTR?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #2
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasM4 View Post

I am patiently waiting on the M4 Xdrive to become available. The BMW without a doubt is a nicer and more updated car. Also 25,000 cheaper new to new price.

I have both cars. To me, the GTR will always be something diff. You never see them on the road, or I should say barely. The tuning and aftermarket is huge. For me, it's been reliable AF at 1000 wheel. Like, I can't remember 1 issue since it's been built. I'm sure who builds it, plays a roll in that. There are many good shops to go to now a days. My F82 is more comfy, no doubt. I love the car and I'm sure would like the new one as well. If I was going for a new one AWD is a must. Resale is also big for some peeps. GTR will hold as has held way better than M cars. Probably all depends on what you want. If you want a semi fast, grocery getter , with great tech, G82. If you want a car that will destroy pretty much everything on the road and is just raw, GTR it is. If your leaving both stock, BMW would be my winner for you. But that is boring as hell
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
I have both cars. To me, the GTR will always be something diff. You never see them on the road, or I should say barely. The tuning and aftermarket is huge. For me, it's been reliable AF at 1000 wheel. Like, I can't remember 1 issue since it's been built. I'm sure who builds it, plays a roll in that. There are many good shops to go to now a days. My F82 is more comfy, no doubt. I love the car and I'm sure would like the new one as well. If I was going for a new one AWD is a must. Resale is also big for some peeps. GTR will hold as has held way better than M cars. Probably all depends on what you want. If you want a semi fast, grocery getter , with great tech, G82. If you want a car that will destroy pretty much everything on the road and is just raw, GTR it is. If your leaving both stock, BMW would be my winner for you. But that is boring as hell
Do they sell any of the NISMO editions? They still look amazing IMO but at over $200K I'm curious if they give discounts or if people actually pay that much?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Do they sell any of the NISMO editions? They still look amazing IMO but at over $200K I'm curious if they give discounts or if people actually pay that much?
I'm sure they sell some. I like the non Nismo better. To much going on with the Nismo. You can buy a 1200 HP top of the line one for less than that
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasM4 View Post

@SickGTR

can you share some pics of your machine? It sounds like an absolute weapon!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

GTR is a cool performance car, but for me that's all. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a Nissan, despite the power it can put out. Even if the Nismo was the same price as the M4, but that's just my opinion. The GTR is in desperate need of a refresh. SickGTR don't kill me brah, just my two cents.

///M
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
GTR is a cool performance car, but for me that's all. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a Nissan, despite the power it can put out. Even if the Nismo was the same price as the M4, but that's just my opinion. The GTR is in desperate need of a refresh. SickGTR don't kill me brah, just my two cents.
I had one of the first GTR's back in 2009- got mine for 73k... yes they are hyper moddable and super fast but not all want to go to that level. I wont lie though, I did look at a few before getting the G80. I just wanted the newest iteration of M vs the LCI of a 12 year old car.

Im old now so I like BPU's only: minor tune, lower, exhaust

and the title of this thread was about a X drive M3/4 which NO ONE has yet.

This was mine:
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 4
Der_Wolf888.00
JTO245246.50
car_fan381.00
      07-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I had one of the first GTR's back in 2009- got mine for 73k... yes they are hyper moddable and super fast but not all want to go to that level. I wont lie though, I did look at a few before getting the G80. I just wanted the newest iteration of M vs the LCI of a 12 year old car.

This was mine:
Beautiful car from the outside that's for sure. Interior has not changed much from 2009 though. Definitely would be one of my go-to track cars if I had a real life garage like I do in Gran Turismo.

///M
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Beautiful car from the outside that's for sure. Interior has not changed much from 2009 though. Definitely would be one of my go-to track cars if I had a real life garage like I do in Gran Turismo.
Agree its still relatively basic inside.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

I can't buy a car that is 14 years old, and there's no manual transmission. Also Nissan dealers and the service is horrible, I was reading they considered putting on an Infiniti badge initially to not deal with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Quote:

This was mine:
Every car you own or have owned are sick in a good way. I would love to be your neighbor, standing in my driveway with a beer in my hand saying damn, one day...lol
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
All good my friend. No doubt, it’s an old outdated vehicle now. For some reason I can’t get rid of it:-) I love ripping around in it. Still puts a smile on my face and that’s what counts!!!! Looks , brand, sound all that stuff is everyone’s personal taste. Nothing better though than catching some hater and just putting bus lengths on them in no time!! Godzilla baby. LOL
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
Limegrntaln13014.00
      07-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All good my friend. No doubt, it’s an old outdated vehicle now. For some reason I can’t get rid of it:-) I love ripping around in it. Still puts a smile on my face and that’s what counts!!!! Looks , brand, sound all that stuff is everyone’s personal taste. Nothing better though than catching some hater and just putting bus lengths on them in no time!! Godzilla baby. LOL
For sure my man. If I had funds to get multiple cars of this caliber, I would absolutely get one. Like I said, would be one of my dream track cars without question. Alas, I need a promotion!

///M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #14
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
I can't buy a car that is 14 years old, and there's no manual transmission. Also Nissan dealers and the service is horrible, I was reading they considered putting on an Infiniti badge initially to not deal with this issue.
99% of dealers are douches. Good thing about a Nissan, you are never at the dealer LOL. What's crazy to me is, yes it's 14 years old an NOW BMW's pinnacle car is on par with it's 14 year old performance. Just saying
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #15
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

Quote:
99% of dealers are douches. Good thing about a Nissan, you are never at the dealer LOL. What's crazy to me is, yes it's 14 years old an NOW BMW's pinnacle car is on par with it's 14 year old performance. Just saying
Ya, true. It took way too long to get here, but I’m glad BMW finally (maybe) made it. The f80 really should have been 500hp AWD. Traction in the f80 is abysmal compared to a GTR.

Looking forward to putting down the power again.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:20 PM   #16
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
Ya, true. It took way too long to get here, but I’m glad BMW finally (maybe) made it. The f80 really should have been 500hp AWD. Traction in the f80 is abysmal compared to a GTR.

Looking forward to putting down the power again.
I'm sure you are. LOL! Yeah, my F82 is a joke for traction.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:

This was mine:
So clean!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
F90 M5 got there in 2018. F10 if you’re talking about the “14 year old” version. G8x now brings it to you for $40k cheaper than Nissan.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #19
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
F90 M5 got there in 2018. F10 if you’re talking about the “14 year old” version. G8x now brings it to you for $40k cheaper than Nissan.
Sorry then, 9 years lol. No need to get all defensive homie. It seems to be a great car so everyone who buys it should be happy. Maybe some day I will grab an AWD one. Just have to wait for the aftermarket to build. No fun driving around at a weak ass 500.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:26 PM   #20
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Sick, you've said that same thing multiple times in so many threads. The GT-R certainly was/is impressive considering when it came out, but the comparison isn't realistic.

https://www.motoring.com.au/made-in-...e-room-122862/

Nice that Nissan was able to do that back then, but what it TOOK to do it isn't something that exists for normal car production. It just isn't apples to apples.

The GT-R was a magnificent achievement in 2007 (and it's STILL impressive today), no question. But 1 car that is very much an exception, that could not be built in very large numbers, more than likely lost money on every car sold for the first several years of it's existence, as your benchmark against everything else in the universe is not proof of any other vehicles worth or lack thereof. Do you do this on Rennlist? You certainly could make the same arguments against most Porsche models. I wonder about this every time you post the same argument...seriously.
Appreciate 2
Moo161.00
Gfit2693.50
      07-16-2021, 05:58 AM   #21
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Sick, you've said that same thing multiple times in so many threads. The GT-R certainly was/is impressive considering when it came out, but the comparison isn't realistic.

https://www.motoring.com.au/made-in-...e-room-122862/

Nice that Nissan was able to do that back then, but what it TOOK to do it isn't something that exists for normal car production. It just isn't apples to apples.

The GT-R was a magnificent achievement in 2007 (and it's STILL impressive today), no question. But 1 car that is very much an exception, that could not be built in very large numbers, more than likely lost money on every car sold for the first several years of it's existence, as your benchmark against everything else in the universe is not proof of any other vehicles worth or lack thereof. Do you do this on Rennlist? You certainly could make the same arguments against most Porsche models. I wonder about this every time you post the same argument...seriously.
Your thinking to hard my man, seriously Your making my point though. Most people like to hate on everything, GTR gets tons! Nothing to say about Porsche. They make more improvements than anyone. They are the GOAT=) This thread is comparing the 2. When I heard the M3/4 was gooing to finally have the AWD, I was stoked!! I was thinking, this is going to be the next GTR. It's not. I like the car. It's quick. Just not what I was hoping for. Like you said, when the GTR first hit, it was a game changer! It made Every car manufacturer up their game. With all the EV talk and people saying it could be the last ICE M3/4 car ever. I was hoping for a Home run. In MY OPINION it's not. Same with the Supra for me. I was hoping that was going to be something I had to have. It's not! That was and still is one of my favorite cars from my youth. Supra Turbo, Rx-7 Turbo, 300 ZX Turbo, AWD Eclipse Turbo, Conquest Turbo, Grand Nationals. Early 90's was a good time to be 20 years old. These were all the cool cars at the Philly races. I use to always race the Mustangs and Camaros. Hate those cars My 300Zx was DOPE, LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #22
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Not sure what point you think I made, Sick. Your "14 years to catch up" mantra is what I take issue with as a false comparison due to the limited production nature of the GTR. That's it. I agree with you on nearly every other point (including the fun of being in your 20's in the early 90's...it was a blast). Do I think the G80 is a home run? I don't know that I think any car being made today that 99% of the populace can afford is actually a home run. The best we get nowadays is a solid triple...and that's probably all we ever got if we remove nostalgia from the equation.

Also, who hates the GTR? People are weird. It's been years since I drove one, but it's a great car. I recall thinking it felt a bit clinical and electronic, but I will agree that other cars have since come to meet the GTR in that respect, unfortunately. I'd guess that the overly clinical nature of the GTR would be barely noticeable now if you test drove it on the same day as most modern cars. And it wouldn't even BE noticeable if the other car you drove against it was a Tesla.

Directly addressing the point of this thread with my memory of driving a '13 (or '14?) GTR, I'm not sure any of us can accomplish the comparison in text. The GTR is faster than the RWD M's, and maybe more unique, but I think the OP would need to actually drive them and weigh the dinosaur interior and tech of the GTR, the larger size of the M3/4 (plus/minus depending on needs and preference), the costs of obtaining each car in the modern age, etc. And the comparison is poor if it isn't against the AWD M3 instead of the RWD version.

The GTR is still a home run when it comes to speed and track capability, but in my opinion it isn't a home run in any other category anymore. When the AWD M's get tested, it'll be interesting to see what the performance delta is.
Appreciate 0