BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-02-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
New video claims a tri-motor 720BHP i4M model!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Yes, big claims with little credibility.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...7#post27761637
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
They have to do something like this to convince all the die hard ice ppl to want to switch over.
Appreciate 1
bwoodahl235.00
      07-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
They have to do something like this to convince all the die hard ice ppl to want to switch over.
It could have 5,000 hp and I wouldn't want it over an ICE. There is more than to a good driving experience than 0-60 times.

///M
Appreciate 4
bmwdrive461.00
wtwo317945.00
TargaM22489.00
      07-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #5
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
It could have 5,000 hp and I wouldn't want it over an ICE. There is more than to a good driving experience than 0-60 times.
I think this is one of the biggest issues with BEV, speaking as someone who is viewing from the outside having not driven one, but the drivetrain is a large part of the experience for 'enthusiast' type driver. Look no further than all the debate over 8AT vs DCT in this G8x forum!

Take away all the character and idiosyncrasies for an ICE drivetrain, with all these cars offering instant torque and broadly comparable performance with large touchscreen interiors, what is left?

It would seem this is why BMW were so keen to emphasise the driving characteristics in the i4 launch videos (they even said "there's more than just going quick in a straight line" - which is quite ironic given the fixation with 1/4 mile times in these forums!).

From a personal perspective, the other big issue that still puts me off is charging times. Even with the latest 400v type models for an 80% charge its still >30 minutes. I don't want to hang around mid-trip at motorway services for that amount of time.

Now people will counter that with 'yeah but how often do you drive 300 miles in one go?' - well I recently visited one of our companies other offices and the round trip was about 300 miles (I'm in the UK BTW and they don't have charging facilities at this office). Now I did have to top up the M4 at a local station before getting back on the motorway at the end of the day, because I didn't set out with a full tank, but that took about 5 minutes including paying at pump using my phone app (which glitched out at first!!).

The point being if I'd been in a BEV my wait time would have been at least 4 or 5 times as long, plus the battery range-o-meter wouldn't have coped very well with my 'spirited' driving on some of the wide open stretches of road

I guess its horses for courses, but all things considered I'll stick with ICE until there's either a legally enforced reason or a dramatic shift in technology (such as super-capacitors etc) or possibly when hydrogen becomes more mainstream - I think that last one is more the realistic solution than row upon row of plug-in charging at stations/rest stops (luckily BMW have some previous there too)...
Appreciate 2
Der_Wolf888.00
bwoodahl235.00
      07-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #6
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yes, big claims with little credibility.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...7#post27761637
Yep agreed, its pretty much pure speculation and spends a lot of time discussing the i4-50M that they have already revealed versus the M3/M4.

The bit on the tri-motor 5-series was interesting, but there's already been rumour elsewhere around the next-gen M5, including in CAR magazine who also recently wrote about a G42 based BEV. So in the realms of speculation that mule may just be pointing to that and not an i4M - although the aforementioned speculative BEV or hybrid M5 is supposed to have circa 1000BHP!!

Anyway, all good and I only linked out of interest, not as any proof of an i4M.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Come back to me when hydrogen fuel cell EVs are a feasible option, then I'll consider saving space next to my next ICE.
Appreciate 1
bwoodahl235.00
      07-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 25e, 2021 Taycan 4s

I don't understand people complaining about EV:s not having driven one. My Taycan is as much fun as my earlier F80 Comp and almost as fun as my E92 M3 was. And as a car cruising on highway its the best car I have ever driven. Far superior to anything else including M5 or RS6.
Go and take a Taycan 4S loaner and go drive canyons or other curvy roads. Its incredible fun. You can of course feel the weight slightly when driven into corners but cornering out is incredible. There is no body roll whatsoever. The steering is super accurate and nice and you sit low as in a real sports car.
If the upcoming 720hp i4M will be anything like a Taycan, it will sell like crazy as its going to be cheaper. And I don't doubt at all, its going to be a blast to drive.

And btw, Teslas are definitely Not fun to drive. Most EV:s are not.

Last edited by Puuhapete; 07-27-2021 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 2
bwoodahl235.00
Lee808230.50
      07-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

My dad just bought a new Tesla and is regretting it already. He's already got upgrade fever and it hasn't even been a month. They lack soul
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuhapete View Post
I don't understand people complaining about EV:s not having driven one. My Taycan is as much fun as my earlier F80 Comp and almost as fun as my E92 M3 was. And as a car cruising on highway its the best car I have ever driven. Far superior to anything else including M5 or RS6.
Go and take a Taycan 4S loaner and go drive canyons or other curvy roads. Its incredible fun. You can of course feel the weight slightly when driven into corners but cornering out is incredible. There is no body roll whatsoever. The steering is super accurate and nice and you sit low as in a real sports car.
If the upcoming 720hp i4M will be anything like a Taycan, it will sell like crazy as its going to be cheaper. And I don't doubt at all, its going to be a blast to drive.

And btw, Teslas are definitely Not fun to drive. Most EV:s are not.
That's cause you haven't driven the Model S Plaid ... it will eat the Taycan's lunch ... from a stop, at the track and parking also
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
That's cause you haven't driven the Model S Plaid ... it will eat the Taycan's lunch ... from a stop, at the track and parking also
Yes its faster but who cares if the built quality is like a 20k car, its ride is horrible and so is the steering. Lets not even start to talk about that ridiculous steering wheel

I haven't driven the Plaid but driving the earlier Model S made me wonder who the hell wants to pay 100k for a car which cabin makes noises from all over places and on top that glued i-pad to the dash? All 50k cars in the world have better build quality, even US manufactured ones.

The i4M will be a great car, I am sure of it. Will it have the quality of the Taycan, time will tell. Probably build quality is a little lower and also I doubt if they get the steering to the same level as Porsche. Its a hell of a lot cheaper for sure and if you get used to the front and consider an EV, it will be a good choice.

Last edited by Puuhapete; 07-29-2021 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #12
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post

I don't see the need for anything above the M50 personally.
It's rapid enough to be close to knocking on the M3's door.
Anything else at this time would be superfluous.
      07-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #13
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Electric motors have no character and thereby no heart identifying a car as a BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo. MB or any brand. Without character it’s an appliance like an iPhone. It can be good and fun for sure but can the car enthusiasts as we know them survive once the motor type become irrelevant? I think not.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #14
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes its faster but who cares if the built quality is like a 20k car, its ride is horrible and so is the steering. Lets not even start to talk about that ridiculous steering wheel

I haven't driven the Plaid but driving the earlier Model S made me wonder who the hell wants to pay 100k for a car which cabin makes noises from all over places and on top that glued i-pad to the dash? All 50k cars in the world have better build quality, even US manufactured ones.

The i4M will be a great car, I am sure of it. Will it have the quality of the Taycan, time will tell. Probably build quality is a little lower and also I doubt if they get the steering to the same level as Porsche. Its a hell of a lot cheaper for sure and if you get used to the front and consider an EV, it will be a good choice.
I drove the Model 3 Perf and the handling was as good or even better than my M235... ... pretty much same with the steering

well the ridiculous steering is the same ridiculous steering used in Formula 1

Build quality might still not be that good but is getting better... and technology wise, nobody is even close.... Summon, Autopilot, you can even stream Video
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Fresh out of the oven

Adios Taycan

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #16
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Electric motors have no character and thereby no heart identifying a car as a BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo. MB or any brand. Without character it’s an appliance like an iPhone. It can be good and fun for sure but can the car enthusiasts as we know them survive once the motor type become irrelevant? I think not.
You might be right in the engine department but I disagree strongly on EV:s not having character. They have a different character and thats the reason f.ex. Taycans are selling like crazy in our country. The sales figures of the last 2 months are ridiculous. The character is a super smooth ride, very sharp and accurate steering and unbeatable comfort while still feeling like sitting in a very sporty car.
In Finland they sell around 30 Taycans to every G80/82.
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      07-31-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
You might be right in the engine department but I disagree strongly on EV:s not having character. They have a different character and thats the reason f.ex. Taycans are selling like crazy in our country. The sales figures of the last 2 months are ridiculous. The character is a super smooth ride, very sharp and accurate steering and unbeatable comfort while still feeling like sitting in a very sporty car.
In Finland they sell around 30 Taycans to every G80/82.
I guess a new enthusiast could be born, the electro-head or is it battery-head?

Great cars I’m sure but I personally will never for example contemplate paying Ferrari money for a car without a Ferrari petrol engine, preferably with a flat plane crank. It’s going to be a struggle for them and other pure enthusiasts brands I predict. And without cars that make the knees weak of the next generation petrol-heads it will take a toll.

Last edited by solstice; 07-31-2021 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
Puuhapete145.00
      07-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #18
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Sick if true
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #19
Puuhapete
Private First Class
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I guess a new enthusiast could be born, the electro-head or is it battery-head?

Great cars I’m sure but I personally will never for example contemplate paying Ferrari money for a car without a Ferrari petrol engine, preferably with a flat plane crank. It’s going to be a struggle for them and other pure enthusiasts brands I predict. And without cars that make the knees weak of the next generation petrol-heads it will take a toll.
I can't argue against this post. I will never afford an Ferrari, at least new but paying like half million eur for an electrified Ferrari seems absurd. Hybrid of course like we know is a totally different story.

Maybe in 30 years EV:s and hydrogen cars will live together in piece and there is something to enjoy for everybody
Appreciate 1
solstice5456.50
      08-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #20
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Do you mean real car enthusiasts or people on the internet that call themselves enthusiasts while turning their nose up at others

Because the real enthusiasts are just fine, this is actually quite an exciting time
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #21
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Do you mean real car enthusiasts or people on the internet that call themselves enthusiasts while turning their nose up at others

Because the real enthusiasts are just fine, this is actually quite an exciting time
It is 50/50 for me.

On one hand the idea of a turbo inline six with additional hybrid electric motors making 700 easy horsepower is awesome and exciting.

On the other hand I am not looking forward to almost all companies going electric. I think Audi is planning all electric soon and that bums me out because the R8 was like a discount lambo (with the V10) so we are losing interesting ICE offerings.

Glad I got to experience the last of the performance V8s. It is like we are experiencing the gas shortage of the 70s and all of a sudden cars changed. They were restricted, slower, ugly and lost the 60s style. Hopefully the next round of models don't end up like the Mustang 2's.
Appreciate 0