E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Climate Control Problem?

11-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
allanmcc
Rep
Drives: 325D MSport

Climate Control Problem?

My climate control works fine on all vents when set to 16 degrees. But when I just turn the controls up by half a degree to 16.5 the engine sound changes and warm air starts to flow from the footwells while cold air comes from the middle and top vents. Then just this morning warm air blows at 16.5 degrees from the top side vents. This all worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmcc View Post
My climate control works fine on all vents when set to 16 degrees. But when I just turn the controls up by half a degree to 16.5 the engine sound changes and warm air starts to flow from the footwells while cold air comes from the middle and top vents. Then just this morning warm air blows at 16.5 degrees from the top side vents. This all worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
How have you got the centre vents temp wheel set, as this allow you to have blended warm/cool air?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Check this. I had major problems, resulting in a replacement unit.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=RockIt

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1213010027

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
allanmcc
Rep

Thanks RockIt. I have printed this out and will take the information to my local dealer. Strange thing is that they have had the car twice to try and sort it. They even told me that BMW said it was normal for the car to blow warm air at the footwell. Something about warm feet cold upperbody. Total rubbish since it worked fine a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks RockIt. I have printed this out and will take the information to my local dealer. Strange thing is that they have had the car twice to try and sort it. They even told me that BMW said it was normal for the car to blow warm air at the footwell. Something about warm feet cold upperbody. Total rubbish since it worked fine a couple of weeks ago.
They talk such bullcrap. Wave the tech in their faces and be firm. I insisted that a senior service manager come out and sit in the car with me to prove that it was faulty. Cocks!

Welcome to E90 Post BTW.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
allanmcc
Rep

Just got word back from BMW regarding my climate control problem. They tell me that it is perfectly normal for the footwell and top side vents to blow warm air when the climate is turned up half a degree from the coldest setting (16.5 degrees). This I find hard to believe when all worked fine up until a few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got word back from BMW regarding my climate control problem. They tell me that it is perfectly normal for the footwell and top side vents to blow warm air when the climate is turned up half a degree from the coldest setting (16.5 degrees). This I find hard to believe when all worked fine up until a few weeks ago.
With or without aircon on? If you have everything set to cold and overide auto this is not normal.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
allanmcc
Rep

Can anyone out there with climate control please try there temp at 16.5 or 17 degrees with all vents open bottom, middle and top and let me know if any warm air blows out. I noticed last night that if you just have the middle vents open and change the setting from 16 to 20 degrees the the system works as it should. (Still cold). Really annoyed with the support from BMW. Another thing that might be related is the fuel economy. I used to get 40+ mpg with the air con on now even if I drive at a steady 40mph all i can achieve is about 31 mpg. I know who I wont be using for my next service again.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Is this with the unit set to 'AUTO'

Surely if the dial up temp is say 17 deg C, and it is only 10 deg C ambient temp, then it will blow warm air until the cabin reaches 17 deg C. It should then mix the hot/cold air and maintain the 'set' temperature. Normally in the summer a setting this low would provoke cold air, but in the winter it would be warm?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post

Surely if the dial up temp is say 17 deg C, and it is only 10 deg C ambient temp, then it will blow warm air until the cabin reaches 17 deg C. It should then mix the hot/cold air and maintain the 'set' temperature. Normally in the summer a setting this low would provoke cold air, but in the winter it would be warm?

Sounds right to me. If the cabin temp is less than the set temp you will get warm air from the bottom and mixed air (dependant on the knurled wheel) from the face / upper vents.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

How weird I was about to post the same thing. I have noticed exactly the same thing when going from 16c to 16.5c - it gets really warm in the cabin. The mid vents start blowing out hot air. I will check tomorrow about the bottom and top vents.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
If I have it set to 16c the fan usually blows at about half speed. Knocking it up to 16.5c results in the fan speed falling to about a quarter. As far as I know, my system is working well.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:56 AM   #13
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post

Agreed. Plus, on the Auto setting when the system is calling for heat, it does works as described - i.e. warm air is brought in through the footwells and side vents.

I think BMW do this based on the principle that warm air rises. However, on a wintery day it does give me hot feet !

I'm trying to work out why anyone would want to set a temp of 16 degrees when the ambient external temp is less than 10 degrees.

The main thing that would make you feel warm in the current conditions is radiant heat from low level sun. This is felt directly on the skin. Car AC doesn't deal with this very effectively - in fact no AC does.

The only way to feel 'cool' is to blow cool air directly on the affected areas (face and arms) and I do find in BMW's that you need to switch to upper vent only to achieve this.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
robbie99
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Gran Coupé M Sport

I never have mine set to 16 so I've no experience of this but my understanding from reading the manual is that Auto or not, when temp is set 16, the air is not heated, regardless of outside temperature. Set it to 16.5 and if it's cold outside then air is heated. Similarly at the max of 28, no matter how hot it is outside, the air is heated. Drop it to 27.5 and the air is cooled if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
robbie99
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F36 420d Gran Coupé M Sport

I don't have the manual close by but I think I remember something about the climate control detecting if the windows are at risk of condensation. The warm air through the top side vents (the ones pointing to the side windows) could be an indication of this. Maybe someone could confirm this in which case OP's Climate Control may be working as expected?
Appreciate 0