BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
dbellin19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW DCT

1200 Mile Service Without Oil Change......

Ok, so I am stationed in S. Korea and am scheduled for my 1200 mile service which is about 200 miles overdue for tomorrow afternoon. I have been waiting for a couple weeks for an appointment in Seoul for the service and found out today that they don't have the oil filter in stock. I am slightly annoyed because I scheduled the service when I received my car on 02OCT08 to avoid this situation. They still will do the service but will not be able change the oil. They said they will change the oil in a couple weeks when they get the filter in. They said the reason they don't have it in stock is because the M3 hasn't been released in Korea yet so they don't carry parts on it. After hearing this I am extremely concerned because I don't have any other delership options as they are the head BMW service center in Korea.

My question is should I wait to have the service done when they have the filter in stock? I am already at 1440 miles and I am not covered under the US warranty here so I have to pay out of pocket for the service which is about $550 with the conversion rate.

I am afraid if I don't have the service done and put a few hundred more miles on the car I will possibly run into Warranty issues when I am stateside later next year in the Land of the Free.

If I do have it done, my vehicle will be the first they have ever touched as far as the new M3's go......

Recomendation please......
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
That won't hurt another 200 miles.

Just make sure they don't drain the oil out of the DCT transmission, one its not required to be service at 1200 miles and 2 they would not have the special transmission oil to put back in it.

If they put the wrong oil in it you can kiss it good bye and the dealer there probably has not read the bulletin saying not to touch the transmission in Korea as they have no M3's. If the dealer does do it they are responsible for the repair not BMW.

The standard BMW first service has a transmission oil service but not on the DCT M3, so keep an eye on it!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just out of curiousity, have you checked out the BMW service center in Suwon? They're probably in the same parts situation as the the Seoul service center but at least it's closer.

Saw your M3 in Osan. Nice car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
dbellin19
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, have you checked out the BMW service center in Suwon? They're probably in the same parts situation as the the Seoul service center but at least it's closer.

Saw your M3 in Osan. Nice car.
Mr Kim the military/diplomatic BMW sales rep in Osan said that they have a contract with a certain service shop in Seocho Seoul for all the BMW's sold from his office and the one in Seoul. The young man who works at the car wash/detail shop out of the back gate in OSAN has an M4and he recommended the Suwon service center as well but they would not service my car until the end of the month.

I feel safer using my SA recomendation considering he provides the linguist support and appointments for me, but I will look into it.....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
dbellin19
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sevice received today, they changed oil but not the oil filter. Doesn't make sense to me but they said they would change it again when oil filter comes in at the end of the month for free. I took the service bulletin for the PROGMAN 31.1 update for the DCT but they have not received it yet from BMW. The M3 was just released here on 01NOV08 in Korea I found out today at the service center and a Korean national was there to pick his up for the first time. I gave him a copy of the bulletin as a reference but said his car probably already has the update....

I know have access to full M driving settings that I didn't before but am a little hesitant on driving it hard until the iol change is done properly. That being said I did utilze the "bus lane" on highway 1 for a couple mile so I could open it up a little and man do I love this car.....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yeah I suppose it would be easier for you if the shop you go to has English support. I like going to the Suwon dealerships because that entire area around the BMW dealership is like an automotive district. Gives me something to do while I'm waiting around.

You should take a trip down Highway 15 sometime (towards Kunsan). I usually head south to go fishing or to the beach and Highway 15 rocks.

Speed limit is at 110kph but most people go much faster. Not as many speed cameras and zero cops. Last time I was on 15 a Merc AMG blew by me so fast I couldn't even see what model it was. I was going around 100-110 at the time so I knew that Merc was going ridiculously fast.
Appreciate 0