BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

G80 M3 Comp xDrive vs M8 Comp Gran Coupe

I know that this is a kind of odd comparison since they are quite different cars… but since I have had no luck getting an allocation for an M3 and I am locked into my dealership since I've already done an early trade in of my X4M Comp and don't want to lose the tax credit I've been considering switching to an M8 and going from having a winter car plus the M3 to just the one car.

I've never actually even driven a M850 much less an M8. I've had 2 F80s and an X4M Comp, has anyone driven both a G80 and an M8 that couple give some comparisons?

Would that be a crazy move seeing as I loved my F80s and ditched the X4M to get back into an M3?

Any thoughts would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

To add to this if it wasn't clear, both would be my daily driver but if I got the M3 I would have a backup car for bad weather days.

I've thought about the M5 but I'm not sold on the looks, I think the M3 and M8 are more special (that's just my opinion, not trying to start a debate)
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Irony but I cant speak the AWD G8X since I dont have seat time but can imagine it will be amazing from the launch.

I have an M8 GC and a G80 M3 RWD--- boy are they two different cars:

The M8 GC is the widest BMW ever made and also very long at 206 inches, its truly a GT car for highway speed crushes and AWD launches. The steering is not as on point as the G80 nor is the driving feel. Of course the M8 is a big fatty at 4400 plus pounds while the G80 is around 600 lighter.

Ill often take my M8 on the same roads I just drove my G80 to compare and clearly the G80 is more nimble and will drive into turns and out of them better but will not be as fast thru the straights. The M8 is just got sheer velocity for the GT car it is. The question is what does one want: the scalpel or the hammer. The M8 sounds better (all these comparos are stock to stock) and has the better interior as it should since it costs much more. But the M8 is big and it will show its weight if one tries to get into the turns too heavy.

I love both cars for the characteristics they differ vs each other. If I was stuck with just one, Id probably take the M8 GC since my needs are more along the lines of express way speed and lighter street driving. But damn that G80 does impress:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 7
Barathon579.00
ando2000.50
Tyga113229.00
heavyD^23688.50
02M3ForMe4257.00
NickyC17437.50
      07-13-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

The M8 is about 70% more expensive, a totally different class, not really comparable. If you have allocated budget north of $150K for your next car, then you get the M8 over the M3, period. If you need to track, in the M8 price range, you can get the Porsche 911 GTS. In other words, if this is your budget range, there are better options than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The M8 is about 70% more expensive, a totally different class, not really comparable. If you have allocated budget north of $150K for your next car, then you get the M8 over the M3, period. If you need to track, in the M8 price range, you can get the Porsche 911 GTS. In other words, if this is your budget range, there are better options than the M3.
The M3 build that I would do is right about $100K, the M8 build that I would do is $133K and I would be choosing less options with it as that is the top of my budget.

They are 2 very different cars for sure and it's a weird comparison. It's probably a moot point anyway because my dealership doesn't have any M8 allocations either. As I said, I already did an early trade in and am not willing to just call that ~$4,600 tax credit a wash so I'm not shopping other makes. The M8 is the only other thing that really interests me but it is a much larger car too and I like the size and agility of the M3.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure that I would be the happiest in the M3 so I should probably just deal with the stupid wait and not knowing when I will get an allocation.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #6
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

What is this tax credit you guys are speaking of
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #7
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
What is this tax credit you guys are speaking of
In some (most) states when you trade in a car you get a tax credit for the value of your trade in.

So if you are buying a $100,000 car and your trade in is worth $70,000 then when you buy the new car you are only taxed for a $30,000 purchase which can add up to quite a bit.

In my deal in particular, the OH sales tax on a new car is 6.75% and I got $68,000 for my trade in, which means my tax "credit" or reduction however you want to call it is about $4,590.

Since I have already traded in that car and they are holding all of my positive equity whenever the M3 arrives it will still count as a trade-in and I will get the tax deduction. If I went anywhere else other than the dealership that took my car I would lose that deduction.

Hope that explains it.

That is something that a lot of people do not consider when they are getting rid of a vehicle, while you may get less for a trade in at a dealership than you would selling to a private party, you really need to look at the tax situation as a lot of times if its a high priced car the amount more you get from a private party may be less than the tax break you would get if trading it in.
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #8
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I've never driven an M8 but I would trade my car in today for one without driving one. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I've never driven an M8 but I would trade my car in today for one without driving one. Hope that helps!
As soon as the Xdrive G8X arrives Ill be test driving it to get a real comparo as the AWD system in my m8 and departed F90 m5 is optimal. I liked it even better than the AWD system in my prior 2018 E63S. It can launch for days and nights!

But this RWD G80 has some astounding grip with BMW's chassis improvements.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113229.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The M3 build that I would do is right about $100K, the M8 build that I would do is $133K and I would be choosing less options with it as that is the top of my budget.

They are 2 very different cars for sure and it's a weird comparison. It's probably a moot point anyway because my dealership doesn't have any M8 allocations either. As I said, I already did an early trade in and am not willing to just call that ~$4,600 tax credit a wash so I'm not shopping other makes. The M8 is the only other thing that really interests me but it is a much larger car too and I like the size and agility of the M3.

At the end of the day I'm pretty sure that I would be the happiest in the M3 so I should probably just deal with the stupid wait and not knowing when I will get an allocation.
Personally I have an F90 M5 and just ordered a G80 xdrive. MSRP is close to what you describe and was considering an M8GC too - the price difference is not that much, about $30k considering the discounts you can still get on an M8.

I felt that after 3 years in the F90 engagement was lacking, except those 2 seconds you can push the car on straights before reaching crazy speeds. I am hoping the G80 can provide some engagement for longer at straights plus turns at lower speeds as a daily driver.

A lot of people think about the price and prestige of one over the other to make decisions but, for a daily, it is not always about that. I want a car that I look forward to driving at any speed and country road.

Having said this, I would certainly look into the 911 if I didn't need back doors and usable back seats. Beyond the 911 I haven't seen anything that I would care for in the M3 to M8 price range for a daily.
Appreciate 2
Barathon579.00
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Personally I have an F90 M5 and just ordered a G80 xdrive. MSRP is close to what you describe and was considering an M8GC too - the price difference is not that much, about $30k considering the discounts you can still get on an M8.

I felt that after 3 years in the F90 engagement was lacking, except those 2 seconds you can push the car on straights before reaching crazy speeds. I am hoping the G80 can provide some engagement for longer at straights plus turns at lower speeds as a daily driver.

A lot of people think about the price and prestige of one over the other to make decisions but, for a daily, it is not always about that. I want a car that I look forward to driving at any speed and country road.

Having said this, I would certainly look into the 911 if I didn't need back doors and usable back seats. Beyond the 911 I haven't seen anything that I would care for in the M3 to M8 price range for a daily.
A $30K price difference is huge lol. Most people are not cross shopping M8's with M3/M4's. You're talking about a car that at the minimum is 40% more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

A $30K price difference is huge lol. Most people are not cross shopping M8's with M3/M4's. You're talking about a car that at the minimum is 40% more expensive.
If an M3 build is close to $100k, for many people that can comfortably afford that, I would say it wouldn't make a huge difference to go to $130-150k.

In any case I just wanted to point out that there are several, including me, that cross shop M5, M8, RS6, RS7, E63 and M3s especially if looking for a daily driver. Personally I need a usable back seat and four doors for a car seat. The M3 is much more engaging to drive as a daily than any of the above for my commute of about 30 miles a day total with a mix of country roads and some interstate.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If an M3 build is close to $100k, for many people that can comfortably afford that, I would say it wouldn't make a huge difference to go to $130-150k.

In any case I just wanted to point out that there are several, including me, that cross shop M5, M8, RS6, RS7, E63 and M3s especially if looking for a daily driver. Personally I need a usable back seat and four doors for a car seat. The M3 is much more engaging to drive as a daily than any of the above for my commute of about 30 miles a day with a mix of country roads and some interstate.
Gotcha - my bad. Didn't mean to come across as a dick and reading my post again it comes across that way.

I shouldn't have projected my own view on others.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In any case I just wanted to point out that there are several, including me, that cross shop M5, M8, RS6, RS7, E63 and M3s especially if looking for a daily driver. Personally I need a usable back seat and four doors for a car seat. The M3 is much more engaging to drive as a daily than any of the above for my commute of about 30 miles a day with a mix of country roads and some interstate.
Gotcha - my bad. Didn't mean to come across as a dick and reading my post again it comes across that way.

I shouldn't have projected my own view on others.
Not a problem at all! Just wanted to explain my comment.
Appreciate 2
Tyga113229.00
      07-17-2021, 11:55 PM   #15
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In any case I just wanted to point out that there are several, including me, that cross shop M5, M8, RS6, RS7, E63 and M3s especially if looking for a daily driver. Personally I need a usable back seat and four doors for a car seat. The M3 is much more engaging to drive as a daily than any of the above for my commute of about 30 miles a day total with a mix of country roads and some interstate.
How do you know the G80 xdrive is more engaging than the F90? They are within 100 kg in weight difference, I am afraid the G80 xdrive will provide similar levels of engagement to those of F90.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #16
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do you know the G80 xdrive is more engaging than the F90? They are within 100 kg in weight difference, I am afraid the G80 xdrive will provide similar levels of engagement to those of F90.
I have high hopes considering the RWD

I have a week 34 production so car won't be here until late Sep., early Oct. We will know much more by then and I can always do something else if engagement is at F90 levels.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #17
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think the parts itself wont be more engaging but once you intertwine the chassis, weight, s58 engine, and other variants about the G8X in AWD format, things will "feel" different. Arent the G8X Comps in the mid 38XX weight vs the F90 over 43XX lbs... thats meaningful and from my ownership of both they drive very differently. My RWD G80 feels much different and more engaging than my departed F90. The F90 was a soul crusher with speed but it still didnt have the steering connection and chassis response that the G80 has now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #18
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
I think the parts itself wont be more engaging but once you intertwine the chassis, weight, s58 engine, and other variants about the G8X in AWD format, things will "feel" different. Arent the G8X Comps in the mid 38XX weight vs the F90 over 43XX lbs... thats meaningful and from my ownership of both they drive very differently. My RWD G80 feels much different and more engaging than my departed F90. The F90 was a soul crusher with speed but it still didnt have the steering connection and chassis response that the G80 has now.
M4 xdrive is listed at 1850 kg on bmw site while the F90 M5C is at 1970 kg on the same bmw site.

I am looking too for a more engaged drive, but not sure the M4 checks this box.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #19
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
M4 xdrive is listed at 1850 kg on bmw site while the F90 M5C is at 1970 kg on the same bmw site.

There are owners who have posted their weights of both cars, the g80 was mid 3800 lbs and the the F90 was 4380 or around there.

Im ok as a owner of both knowing how they feel and there is no way its 220 lbs in variation. But to your point we dont know the exact AWD weight but if there is any indication about the weights of the RWD it should come in lighter than the website postings.

Have you taken the g80 out for an extended, not basic, test drive? I know that sealed my deal.

Edit: G80 weight which is about the 600 lbs in variation to your quoted 1970 kg. I know its not X drive but will it be that much more weight?

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27348842

Last edited by Vic55; 07-19-2021 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #20
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There are owners who have posted their weights of both cars, the g80 was mid 3800 lbs and the the F90 was 4380 or around there.

Im ok as a owner of both knowing how they feel and there is no way its 220 lbs in variation. But to your point we dont know the exact AWD weight but if there is any indication about the weights of the RWD it should come in lighter than the website postings.

Have you taken the g80 out for an extended, not basic, test drive? I know that sealed my deal.

Edit: G80 weight which is about the 600 lbs in variation to your quoted 1970 kg. I know its not X drive but will it be that much more weight?

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27348842
Yeah, I guess I need to test the M4 and see for myself.

I quoted weight number for both cars from the same official source, so I guess the delta is accurate. Now if one is a striper while the other is fully loaded then delta grows of course
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I need to test the M4 and see for myself.

I quoted weight number for both cars from the same official source, so I guess the delta is accurate. Now if one is a striper while the other is fully loaded then delta grows of course
The only key in weight changes from options is the tranny... adding an exec package or some tech stuff (M drivers) wont me meaningful as the cars are already really up there.

Im not sure exactly but the manual to auto in the RWD was circa 80lbs or around there.

As for the drive, the car is amazing in hiding its weight unlike the F90-- I really think its closer to my 991.2 GTS and that is a vert. It drives so fluid in nature. So yes test drive it but make sure to warm up those tires and get the settings into the more aggressive modes. You wont believe its RWD unless you launch from a dig
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 11:33 PM   #22
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

Quote:
Quote:
This is spot on. I too went from an F90 to g80. I loved the M5 and its an insanely fast car but I'm having way more fun in the g80.

And in my opinion the g80 has better suspension tuning and a more immediate/responsive engine.

My favorite bmw so far.
Appreciate 0