E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Procede and warranty issues?

11-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
pnguyen
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Procede and warranty issues?

I've been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a Procede, but while I had my car in to get serviced I was talking with a service rep and he mentioned that anything similar to a procede tuning chip would void the warranty on the car. Has anyone had any experience with the warranty after they've installed the procede on their car?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: VIP Sport 335!

Garage List
You must take off any engine modification, for it may void warranty. In regards to the chip, your best bet it to take it out everytime. More likely if you have problems with your engine and you have a chip, they will blame it on the chip and prob void your warranty. Like many are doing, no worries= leave chip out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

they can tell you've installed a chip regardless if it's there or not..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
Really how is that?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnguyen View Post
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a Procede, but while I had my car in to get serviced I was talking with a service rep and he mentioned that anything similar to a procede tuning chip would void the warranty on the car. Has anyone had any experience with the warranty after they've installed the procede on their car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
That's absolutely not true - stop posting mis-information. If certain engine system parameters that the MSD 81 ECU (or ECU with Progman 29.2-up software) looks for exceed what the ECU considers appropriate for "stock" performance, the ECU will store what it commonly called the "warranty void code". The tunes which offer significant power increases have already found ways to increase power while remaining below the trigger point.

You should never discuss any modification to your car, whether you are considering it or have already installed it, with your service advisor. In addition, all mods need to be removed for any service visits.

This thread should have been started in the N54 Tuning sub-forum where there are people who can answer your questions with factual data. The bottom line is that if you're hyper paranoid about your warranty and/or feel the need to be 100% upfront with your service advisor the priest, modifications are definitely not for you. If that's you, stick with BMW "Performance" parts installed at the dealership only.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Agreed. Perfectly summed up.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
I think the most you can get away with at almost every dealer is an intake...because that tends to be generally accepted as a super mild, very basic mod that has little to no potential to break your engine. That being said, if you are worried about any sort of warranty void, either dont get the mods to begin with, or dont have them on when you go in. And lastly, dont discuss them, thats just asking for it
      12-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
Ghost170
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Took out my proceed for 30k maintenance, no red lights (great job to Vishnu). However, brought it in to fix the headlight flicker and they wouldn't touch it because I had did the turn signal delete... I'll fix that myself.

AA AE GP HR LC M3 KW BMS BMW LUX CYBA STRI WORK HELIX MTECH LSWEEE(Wavetrac)!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
bmwmike335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost170 View Post
Took out my proceed for 30k maintenance, no red lights (great job to Vishnu). However, brought it in to fix the headlight flicker and they wouldn't touch it because I had did the turn signal delete... I'll fix that myself.
im sorry turn signal delete? what does that do?
2013 535i (RIP), 2014 535i (RIP)
2013 e92 M3 interlagos blue
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
BlkSapphire
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnguyen View Post
I was talking with a service rep and he mentioned that anything similar to a procede tuning chip would void the warranty on the car.
The aftermarket tune voids the engine and drivetrain warranty, because the warranty says so. That part of the warranty is legally valid, because you're forcing all those components to operate out of BMW's intended spec. That's not in question.

The next question is how will the dealership know that you have a tune installed? If you take the car in with the tune installed, you are asking to have your warranty voided.

Finally, the ECU records a lot of information. Some of this information is false information that is passed to the ECU by the piggyback tune. One question that is still open is whether or not careful analysis of this stored data could reveal the presence of a piggyback. I think most people think that it probably could. Another question is, is BMW going to do this type of analysis and void warranties based upon it? That one is really still open.

I haven't heard of anyone's warranty getting voided based on a piggyback that was no longer present at the time of the service visit, but I think it could happen.
Appreciate 0