BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake sensor for Pagid RS29 track pads

08-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 BASE

Brake sensor for Pagid RS29 track pads

Is the brake sensor fit on pagid rs29? Or do I need to ziptie it? PS regular blue brakes og m2
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2RAW View Post
Is the brake sensor fit on pagid rs29? Or do I need to ziptie it? PS regular blue brakes og m2
They will fit but I don't see the need, if you're swapping pads for track you're able to keep check on pad wear. I have my wear sensors tied permanently, just makes pad changing a little easier.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      08-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #3
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Quote:
They will fit but I don't see the need, if you're swapping pads for track you're able to keep check on pad wear. I have my wear sensors tied permanently, just makes pad changing a little easier.
Where did u actually zip tie the brake sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
RYTM2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

When not using the brake sensor does a warning light show up on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
M2RAW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYTM2 View Post
It will not from what I read, just make sure you put electrical tape. I want to know where is the safe place to zip tie it lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Where did u actually zip tie the brake sensor?
I just tied them back to where the rubber gromet holds the cable, up front it's on the strut and rear I think it's where sub-frame joins chassis.

No dash light and you don't need to use electrical tape, just make sure the cable won't get caught in moving suspension.
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      09-06-2021, 04:05 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYTM2 View Post
The brake sensor is quite dumb and a bit of technology that even my 92 french econo hatch had.

It's simply a loop of wire embedded in some plastic. Once the pads wear down enough this wire is allowed to wear, opening the circuit.
This triggers the warning light.

If you are tracking, you really should walk around each corner and inspect the tires + brakes before going out, each time you go out.

The sensor will not tell you if a pad has cracked or fallen off its backing or if there is enough material to finish a session.

I simply duct taped mine to the suspension arm. You could unplug the lead and set it aside. Simply loop the exposed contact with a bit of stiff wire.

The computer will continue to monitor your wear as that is simply based on some algorithm in the car tracking your braking actions. It will however never give you a "replace pads now" warning as you have disabled that sensor.

Also it's entirety possible to melt the sensors (my friends have done it) so I would remove them.
      09-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

The brake sensors on E9x and newer BMWs are not the dumb trigger when worn enough sensors. They are a continually wearing sensor whose resistance declines with time allowing the CBS system to estimate wear, etc. Don't ever reset the system without replacing the sensor with a new one or else you'll need to reset the CBS with INPA/ISTA/whatever.

Once you put your street pads back on, if you then connect the senor(s) that has been with those pads, you should be fine.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
M2RAW121.00
      09-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The brake sensors on E9x and newer BMWs are not the dumb trigger when worn enough sensors. They are a continually wearing sensor whose resistance declines with time allowing the CBS system to estimate wear, etc. Don't ever reset the system without replacing the sensor with a new one or else you'll need to reset the CBS with INPA/ISTA/whatever.

Once you put your street pads back on, if you then connect the senor(s) that has been with those pads, you should be fine.
False, maybe on an E9X, definitely not on a F87.

My wear sensors have been decoupled from the pads for 25k km yet the I drive keeps saying my pads are wearing out.

Ie I'll reset it and it'll say XX km till replacement and that will diminish with km driven, trackdays taking 5x as many km from the brake life as normal driving.

Also I know from exp it won't ever say less than 1000km till replacement. I was lazy once and didn't reset the indicator and it sat there for a couple 1000km of driving.

The system probably works on credits much like the oil life indicator. Lots of hard repeated braking = lots of credits lost. I know for a fact this is how Audi/Bosch does it as a friend of mine programmed that system.

The wear indicator is a simple on/off switch, nothing more is needed, it's just a digital version of the metal squealers most cars run.
      09-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #10
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Wow, I'm surprised that BMW reverted back 15+ years to using a basic touch sensor. Good news though for enthusiasts that are swapping track pads often, etc.

I learned the hard way back in 2006 that the CBS brake sensors were no longer the simple kind thinking that I could just do a simple reset when changing brake pads. Nonetheless, it's bizarre that BMW switched back to 20+ year old sensor design...that's rarely something they ever do with "innovations".
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
Megator517.50
      09-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #11
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that BMW reverted back 15+ years to using a basic touch sensor. Good news though for enthusiasts that are swapping track pads often, etc.

I learned the hard way back in 2006 that the CBS brake sensors were no longer the simple kind thinking that I could just do a simple reset when changing brake pads. Nonetheless, it's bizarre that BMW switched back to 20+ year old sensor design...that's rarely something they ever do with "innovations".
The innovation was switching to SW over HW for measuring brake wear. I won't judge the level or usefulness of this innovation though.

It saves on what must be an expensive and somewhat complex sensor. You would need to embed some kind of resistor into the sensor whose resistance changes with wear enough for the computer to read it without false positives.

In the new system the sensor is just a backup for the SW.

In any case, always use your eyes! They will see more than any sensor will. Including stuff like perished pads and wonkly worn pads. This is critical if you don't want to end up in the gravel or worse.