BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2C Chassis Tuning

08-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
ftw
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman R, Audi Q7

M2C Chassis Tuning

Hi All,

I have an M2C which does daily duties and trackdays, I am looking into tuning the chassis to better suit trackdays but I don't know the BMW platform as well as Porsche or Lotus. I want to add more -ve camber front and rear and change toe setting. I also want the car to have better vertical control and adjustable damping. Less roll would be nice too.

My initial thoughts are:
Coilovers, geo change and M2C Racing ARBs.

To get more front camber I think I need adjustable top mounts, is this the only option? The only coilover I can find which come with adjustable top mounts are KW V3s, are there any others? I contacted Litchfield (UK based tuning company) who told me that neither their Bilstein or Nitron coilovers can accept an adjustable top mount.

Secondly, do I need to change rear toe links? I have had to do this on various Porsche cars because they run out of toe adjustment when camber is increased.

I did a quick search but didn't find much.
Cheers
S
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #2
MVista
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw View Post

To get more front camber I think I need adjustable top mounts, is this the only option?
From my recent experience, lowered to 593mm front on Ohlins R&T with factory top mounts I'm at -1.7 front camber. Stock is -1.1 so you can pick up a bit. Front plates are required if you want more -camber.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

You could go for the -.5 degree hub carriers too.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 05:01 AM   #4
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

If you don't mind the front track a little bit larger than stock, I suggest to get a pair of adjustable lower control arms. Such arms usually can correct the roll center too. But the drawback is, they have to be adjusted by a professional alignment shop.

e.g. https://www.splparts.com/products/bm...-m2-m3-m4.html

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 02:19 AM   #5
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

You should look into Millway.se camber plates and SPL rear toe links.
Millway's street plate is a good compromise - increasing NVH only a minimal amount with the ability to adjust camber by about -3 degrees.

I was restricted to -1.7 deg on the rear due to the lack of toe adjustment.
I ended up at .2 degrees total toe in rear with stock arms.

Stock setting lowered to 605mm front was -1.6 deg
Set mine to -2.1 deg

Theoretically you could buy the -30' offset hubs and avoid the camber plates if you don't need adjustability.

Dinan recommends -2.0 deg rear and .2 degrees toe FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #6
ftw
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman R, Audi Q7

Thank you for the useful information!

Looks like toe links are a must. 'Camber correction' hubs are about £450 each here in the UK so twice the price of camber plates and with no adjustment. I guess the added benefit is they won't cause NVH issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I run millway camber plates and their front tension arm monoballs. With a proper geo it really transforms the car. I’m looking to add the SPL rear toe links next once the coilovers go back on.

Maybe worth having a look at suspension secrets, they are in England and have their own camber plates, toe links as well as highly rated for geo set ups.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:

Looks like toe links are a must. 'Camber correction' hubs are about £450 each here in the UK so twice the price of camber plates and with no adjustment. I guess the added benefit is they won't cause NVH issues.
if you are thinking of swapping to coilovers in the future then some of those come with the camber plates built in to the top - ive just had mine fitted and currently at -3.5/-2 front to rear (setup in UK near Derby)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

I have the milway race camber plates that I bought used with quite some KMs on them. They did not add much if any NVH. The only difference is that I sometime hear a wheeze/puff from the front suspension on low speed high compression bumps/dips. Might be unrelated to the camber plates and to do with the boot on the shocks tho.

Whoever you talked to at Litchfield must not have been too clued up as both the Nitrons and Bilstein can accept camber plates.

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/...ront-top-plate

If the suspension works with the stock top plates then they will work with any camber plate that works with the stock suspension (Milway or suspension secrests is easiest in UK).

The rear toe arms are only needed if you are going very low or want a ton of rear camber.

On stock suspension (bar camber plates) I went to 2.7 deg camber up front and 2 deg camber in the rear (2.2 is max). This has evened out my tire wear on track quite nicely.

These guys know their stuff and I would contact them for advise on how to match your needs.

https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/bmw-...-tuning-guide/