E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Leicester, Sheffield, Newcastle and Surrey.

11-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Leicester, Sheffield, Newcastle and Surrey.

Does anyone know anything about these places?

Applying for "proper" university - foundation year this year - for Sept. 09 entry and don't really know that much about these places but they are my choices!

Other is Nottingham which I know.

Leicester and Sheffield would see a house move but not all that far, I like some of the South Leicestershire area and no doubt there are some nice places in Sheffield both not too expensive Any knowledge of the area shops, bars etc. would be great though.

Newcastle and Surrey would see me moving far away. What are the places and areas like? Is there plenty to do, nice shops and bars, nice places to live, good driving roads etc.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Have been out on the p!ss in all of those areas, but not knowledgeable enough to pass meaningfull comment on them.

The only comment I would have is I'm currently pricing for the roofing/cladding to West Notts university new campus building (which starts construction early next year) so the facilities there (or certainly some of them) will be brand spanking.

I would look at the individual courses and the facilities of the university before I looked at how many Yates's or Top Shops were in the area, but that probably defines precisely why I never did the whole uni thing!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Surrey is Guildford - really nice but in the top 10 most expensive places in the UK.
      11-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I know Newcastle very well (grew up there).

Great city - incredibly friendly people and a real buzz around the place recently.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Surrey - In Guildford and a smart modern uni but the costs of living are really expensive there. Significantly warmer than up north.

Leicester - 1st year halls a bus ride from the uni. 2nd year and onwards there are many cheap shared houses close to the uni and walking is easy. It is also the top rated uni by students and you should have excellent career prospects by going there. It is a good uni and I bet the entrance requirements are higher than Newcastle.

Newastle and Sheffied, don't know them, but Newcastle is quite a bit further North and if you feel the cold, you may not like it there.

Hope this helps
      11-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

I was born in Leicester, lived there for 28 years. There are good areas and some VERY bad areas. However most of the student accommodation is in pretty respectable surroundings.

The town itself isn't all that bad. Has a great selection of bars but unfortunately too many chav night clubs.

If you want to know any specifics just shout.
      11-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
nomis
Private
Rep
Drives: 123d M-Sport

I know Sheffield very well. Broomhill and Crookes are popular studenty areas close to the City Centre (2 miles) and are only a few miles away from the Peak District (always a big plus)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I would look at the individual courses and the facilities of the university before I looked at how many Yates's or Top Shops were in the area, but that probably defines precisely why I never did the whole uni thing!
Already done, well the course bit! Hence the unis I've chosen. Leicester is my number one choice will be gutted if I don't get in.

Good teaching and being respected means lots to me. As I want to enter a competitive area of graduate employment when I leave uni and am at a disadvantage with my age, non-standard qualifications before I start!!

1st year not sure whether I'm going to live in halls or not and save some money lol, depends on issues of parking (some you have to pay and only a few spaces), what the halls are like and if you get shipped out in the hols (can't do this!), which I think some do, that is no good for me!

I'm probably looking at living about 5-10 miles out of the city itself, still cheap for nights out - taxis / buses back (lets get practical here lol) but just out of the actual centre of things.

Would like -
Decent bars
Good shops
Good driving roads
While being a Derbyshire girl I have low standards of what good bars and shops are I know a good road when I see one!

Thanks for telling me about Surrey I will have to look how much it costs to live there, also is parking a nightmare with being in the South East?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Surrey is a sh*thole Its all rich people, living in the English countryside, driving nice cars with their pipe and slippers to old english country pubs...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Surrey is a sh*thole Its all rich people, living in the English countryside, driving nice cars with their pipe and slippers to old english country pubs...
FANTASTIC - where do I sign up?

Hopefully I'll meet a millionaire give the job a miss and buy a GT3 instead

Is Surrey really "the countryside"?? Oh and do you have to touch the M25 to reach anywhere North of London?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Isn't it fab?!!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
FANTASTIC - where do I sign up?

Hopefully I'll meet a millionaire give the job a miss and buy a GT3 instead

Is Surrey really "the countryside"?? Oh and do you have to touch the M25 to reach anywhere North of London?
I've lived in Surrey all my life (Weybridge, Esher, Ottershaw and now Hersham) - like anywhere, it has good and bad parts.

There's quite a bit of nice countryside and also some very built-up and congested areas (as greater London seems to creep further out each year).

Guildford's not a bad town, haven't been out drinking there for quite some time, but it's very good for shopping.

I can get to the A3, M25, M3, M4, M40, M23 all within about 20 mins and Heathrow and Gatwick are both within about 35 minutes.

The M25 isn't too bad to get to North London - I commute to St Albans, just after the M1 junction, most days (mostly around the M25) and it only takes me 45mins in the morning and about an hour home (leaving at about 06:15 and 16:00 respectively)
      11-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh come on, it's not like that at all. Our butler and nanny have to SHARE the gatehouse. Can you imagine?
      11-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Oh come on, it's not like that at all. Our butler and nanny have to SHARE the gatehouse. Can you imagine?
Its a nightmare recruiting a new pastry chef in Surrey at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
You lot make it sound as if it's worth a visit down there lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
I've lived in Surrey all my life (Weybridge, Esher, Ottershaw and now Hersham) - like anywhere, it has good and bad parts.

There's quite a bit of nice countryside and also some very built-up and congested areas (as greater London seems to creep further out each year).

Guildford's not a bad town, haven't been out drinking there for quite some time, but it's very good for shopping.

I can get to the A3, M25, M3, M4, M40, M23 all within about 20 mins and Heathrow and Gatwick are both within about 35 minutes.

The M25 isn't too bad to get to North London - I commute to St Albans, just after the M1 junction, most days (mostly around the M25) and it only takes me 45mins in the morning and about an hour home (leaving at about 06:15 and 16:00 respectively)
Thanks

M25 not bad???? You Pipe and Slippers boys remember my rant about the M25 on a SUNDAY having soooo much traffic, much worse than "rush hour" in Derby

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
My friend Rupert needs a new scullery maid if you need a job down here?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Porscha, at Leicester they do ship you out in the hols and the halls are far enough a way to require a bus pass. Forget about driving. Very limited parking at the uni and also at New Hall, the new halls complex which is very nice, but I think more expensive that a shared flat. Much less hassle in halls of course.

Good luck
      11-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
Porscha, at Leicester they do ship you out in the hols and the halls are far enough a way to require a bus pass. Forget about driving. Very limited parking at the uni and also at New Hall, the new halls complex which is very nice, but I think more expensive that a shared flat. Much less hassle in halls of course.

Good luck
Oh thanks Halls are a no go for me at Leicester then!

As Leicester is my first number one choice and I can't stay in halls if they ship out in the hols - nowhere to live in hols!! If the parking situation is bad at the Halls as well it really is a no can do.

I would have to live outside the halls or commute from Derbyshire (an hour each way at the most)... neither idea sounds bad though if I stayed in Derbyshire (I presume they would have to give me a parking pass?) I wouldn't really have the full uni experience then again perhaps I would concentrate on my studies more??

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My friend Rupert needs a new scullery maid if you need a job down here?
LOL! I'd make a crap Maid, don't like being bossed about.

Rent does look rather expensive in Surrey, though I imagine other stuff is just the same price as anywhere else, food, petrol etc.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
I just graduated from Loughborough so I'm sure you're aware of the town centre, or lack of it.. so good on ya for wanting a more hustle bustle kind of city!

I visited friends in Leicester quite often and it all depends on who you make friends with.. times have changed from back in the day where you had gangs of youths coming to the 'good side' of the city to cause a riot.
If you spend most of your time in Halls you will probably never see the more chavish, bum areas. Wouldn't even know they exist.

But I don't know all the ups and downs of halls in Leicester, i.e. the cost, car parking, distance from uni, etc..

Leicester has 2 pretty nice shopping centres, The Shires, and can't remember the other one
Bars and clubs, you have Zanzibar, Liquid Envy, good union nights but careful on your choice of nights!

My bro went to Royal Holloway in Egham, and being Surrey it certainly doesn't feel as studenty like cities such as Leicester, and Sheffield.

I have heard Sheffield is a great place to study though!

Can't tell you much else! Hope you get the uni you want

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #22
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
TSL you must either be younger than I think or have gone to uni a bit older (like me!)

I thought Royal Holloway was in London?

Ruled London out though there are some great unis there due to congestion charge lack of parking and property that I image is dreadfully expensive!!

Leicester is indeed my no. 1 choice though I won't be able to live in halls due to lack of parking and being shipped out in the hols. So currently looking at surrounding villages and prices.

Sheffield again I don't know the full ins and outs of the Halls so will have to start researching into that one.

Newcastle seems very car friendly!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0