BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

11-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Let's Gominigo It

I do not run a front plate, even though it is required in my state. I am however, prepared to be pulled over for not having one, and hope that I will be able to quickly install one to avoid a ticket. The solution I went with for this car was the Gominigo plate holder. I used the 62-70mm model and I keep it in the trunk all the time. It is a nice piece and everything in the kit is stainless.

I also ground down the edges of the plate a little and installed a rubber trim piece for sheet metal, McMaster Carr part number 8507K61. To install the Gominigo plate holder, you need to carry a 19mm wrench with you. I used all 4 washers that came with the Gominigo to keep the plate as far away from the paint as possible. I am also using 4 plastic caps on the M6 locknuts to prevent scratches in the event I am in a huge hurry to install it.
16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Good for a quick fix or court appearance, but still an eyesore

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samM376' View Post
Good for a quick fix or court appearance, but still an eyesore
Couldn't agree more. It is stowed in the trunk... in a perfect world never to see the light of day again!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #4
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Jon - great idea...looks like a hugh greasy pimple on prom night though I think th elocal LEO's would sign off on that just to get you to go away
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

It's a very clever idea. But also an eyesore. Everyone's right -- temporary use only, like during inspection time.
      12-11-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did you guys read? He does not run a front plate. The mod fits in the front tow hook hole and can be installed and removed very quickly!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Did you guys read? He does not run a front plate. The mod fits in the front tow hook hole and can be installed and removed very quickly!
WTF for. Ugly and something protruding from the front of the car like that would be deemed dangerous. If you hit a predestrian and sliced there leg off the last thing you would be worried about would be getting a fine for no front number plate.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
WTF for. Ugly and something protruding from the front of the car like that would be deemed dangerous. If you hit a predestrian and sliced there leg off the last thing you would be worried about would be getting a fine for no front number plate.
Damn...he said that it is stowed in the trunk and will be installed if he gets pulled over. Then removed once the area is clear.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Most people just look at the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

so do you think if you get pulled over you can run to the trunk and install it real quick before the cop gets out and gives you a ticket???? im lost.
      12-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
so do you think if you get pulled over you can run to the trunk and install it real quick before the cop gets out and gives you a ticket???? im lost.
+1

So after you put the plate on and the officer is sitting in his car behind you , waiting for you to drive off, you do so. The plate falls off due to vibration as it unscrewed, comes out the rear of your car a 60mph through the windscreen of another police car that's behind you! because that silly plate bracket has caught his eye.

Does it whistle why drive along, hopefully its Jingle Bells!

FAIL

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

I could see using this when you have to park downtown where it's the meter maids that give out the no plate tickets (as in Boulder and Denver). Of if you get a fix-it ticket that requires you to mount the plate to clear the ticket. You do this, show the inspector, and then take if off after you drive away - not during a traffic stop!

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
I could see using this when you have to park downtown where it's the meter maids that give out the no plate tickets (as in Boulder and Denver). Of if you get a fix-it ticket that requires you to mount the plate to clear the ticket. You do this, show the inspector, and then take if off after you drive away - not during a traffic stop!
Correct--that would not get you off with most officers. Heck, they usually will not even let you get out of the car, let alone get something out of the trunk. Portland meter patrol likes to give no-plate tickets, as well. My wife has gotten three on our ML, at $35 each.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-12-2009 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Monkeycheese101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

i just use zip ties with the mesh on the front bumper, its not permenant and I think it looks better cause its centered, and it cost me .02
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

holy shit, how does a parking meter attendent give you a no plate ticket.?? thats just crazy.

I would have to see the statute in the state where this happens, but I am not sure that you can be given a ticket for a front plate when your not driving. Most statutes state that it when being operated on public roadways, parked it not being operated.

I mean maybe you took it off to go clean it or something.
      01-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
holy shit, how does a parking meter attendent give you a no plate ticket.?? thats just crazy.

I would have to see the statute in the state where this happens, but I am not sure that you can be given a ticket for a front plate when your not driving. Most statutes state that it when being operated on public roadways, parked it not being operated.

I mean maybe you took it off to go clean it or something.
That's a good point. Oregon Vehicle Code:

803.540 Failure to display plates; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to display registration plates if the person operates, on the highways of this state, any vehicle or camper that has been assigned registration plates by this state and the registration plates assigned
to the vehicle or camper are displayed in a manner that violates any of the following:
(a) The plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, if only one plate is required.
(b) Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if two plates are required.
(c) The plates must be in plain view and so as to be read easily by the public.
(d) The plate must not be any plate that does not entitle the holder thereof to operate the vehicle upon the highways.

A case could be made that the veicle was not being "operated" on the public way at the time of citation. However, here's the kicker, Portland City Ordinance 16.20.120:

16.20.120 Prohibited Parking or Stopping of a Vehicle
(Amended by Ordinance Nos. 165594, 166575, 170923, 173369, 176394, 176955 and 179141 effective March 23, 2005.) Except when specifically directed by authority of this Title or when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, it is unlawful to park or stop a vehicle:

R. That is required by law to display two registration plates if a plate is not displayed on the front and the rear of the vehicle.

You've got to know they'd have this covered. Otherwise, you could take your plates off when you park and be "unticketable".

Edit: In looking at the logic further, however:
1. The State says I must have two plates when "operating" a vehicle on public highways.
2. "Operation" is defined as any "operation, pushing, towing, movement or otherwise propelling."
3. The City says it is illegal to park on City poperty if I am required by law to diplay two plates.
4. A case could be made that I am not required under state law to display two plates, since I am not "operating" a vehicle while parked, therfore I am not in violation.

What do you think?

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-12-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
kmax1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red

Quote:
+1

I thought in the US, (according to show like "COPS") if a police officer pulls you over you BEST sit still with your hands in plain sight!

If a state trooper sees you run out of your car and head to the trunk he assumes you are going for your pump action shotgun or some form of sidearm, and he goes Rodney King on your ass!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmax1980 View Post
+1

I thought in the US, (according to show like "COPS") if a police officer pulls you over you BEST sit still with your hands in plain sight!

If a state trooper sees you run out of your car and head to the trunk he assumes you are going for your pump action shotgun or some form of sidearm, and he goes Rodney King on your ass!
Exactly...never get out of the car with out being "invited", or you will be on the ground.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #19
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Its annoying as hell. As Gladius said, here in Denver they will drive up and down even residential streets and write no front plate tickets, even in front of your house. My wife's car has gotten several until we gave in and put one on. I got pulled over by a lovely Denver cop and got berated for not having a front plate (and obviously got a ticket). There is no way the cop would have let me get out of the car to install a plate while he waited. If you want to avoid the meter maid ticket, park in a garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Its annoying as hell. As Gladius said, here in Denver they will drive up and down even residential streets and write no front plate tickets, even in front of your house. My wife's car has gotten several until we gave in and put one on. I got pulled over by a lovely Denver cop and got berated for not having a front plate (and obviously got a ticket). There is no way the cop would have let me get out of the car to install a plate while he waited. If you want to avoid the meter maid ticket, park in a garage.
The ideal solution might be a strong magnet hiddden behind the front bumper cover, with a matching one on the back of the plate. That way you could pop the plate on when needed, and take it off other times without a visible mount. If I remove my cover, I may make that mod.

At least in Oregon they will not pull you over solely for no front plate--it's a secondary offense.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #21
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

C'mon guys... I did exactly this. Got a no place fix it ticket in LA, threw on the Gomingo, got the ticket signed off, and put the gomingo back in the garage where its been since. My dad had the same thing for driving onto a military base and I bought him the same gomingo. Granted he left it on cause he's lazy, but no holes in the bumper. My buddy has gotten 3 no front license plate tickets in Westwood but he just paid the $35, wonder why none of them were fix it tickets.

Either way, a great option to take care of fix it tickets, but no reason to keep it in the trunk.
      01-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The ideal solution might be a strong magnet hiddden behind the front bumper cover, with a matching one on the back of the plate. That way you could pop the plate on when needed, and take it off other times without a visible mount. If I remove my cover, I may make that mod.

At least in Oregon they will not pull you over solely for no front plate--it's a secondary offense.
That's a great idea, let us know if the magnet method works. As for the primary or secondary offense, I think it is the same here (never heard of getting pulled over here for no front plate) but the cop seemed pissy and was picking on a nice car in a not so nice part of town. Hence my comment about not being able to get out and slap one on and get out of it...
Appreciate 0