E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Squeal coming from front left...brakes?

11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
pwdrskr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi allroad

Squeal coming from front left...brakes?

This weekend I noticed a squeal coming from the left front corner of the car. I happened to have the drivers window down and noticed the sound. It can only be heard when driving at slower speeds and is generally worse if I have been driving for a while. When I use the brakes it seems to get worse.

So I figure this must be the brakes. The car only has ~9000 miles on it though and that seems too soon for new brakes!

Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrskr View Post
This weekend I noticed a squeal coming from the left front corner of the car. I happened to have the drivers window down and noticed the sound. It can only be heard when driving at slower speeds and is generally worse if I have been driving for a while. When I use the brakes it seems to get worse.

So I figure this must be the brakes. The car only has ~9000 miles on it though and that seems too soon for new brakes!

Anyone else have this issue?
i have a similar problem but mine is not the normal kind of squeal (loud). everytime i depress the clutch to a certain length it screeches very lightly and if i hold the depressed brake for about the same strength with my foot, it screeches constantly. i'm really not a tech on brakes and therefore i'm here in search for a solution, if i need to replace pads or lining or whatever. i recently got mine back from service and the SA said that i still have like 90000 mls on the pads but it worrying me as i don't want to F#%k up the rotors by keep driving it
      11-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
wow dude... do a

There are at LEAST 30 threads on this exact same issue...

Bottom line is that it is a very common problem... different people say it's caused by different things... personally, my BMW dealer has told me it's being caused by brake-dust build-up... others say it's the brake sensor, others say it's just the brake pads, which should be replaced with a different brand that does not cause squeaking as much...

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
yeah do a search. most common problems with solutions that fixed the noise was replacing the brake sensors, or in my case replacing the entire caliper. First time I took my car in they just cleaned off the brake dust/grime and that helped for a couple of weeks. After doing more hard driving through the twisties where I used my breaks a lot, the sound came back. I took it back to a different dealer and they replaced the caliper and no noise ever since. This was done this past May. So far so good. Oh and it was my passenger rear side
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

It's more than likely the brake wear sensor. Depending on the measurements of the brakes, they will either replace the pads and sensor, or just grind down the sensor.
Appreciate 0