E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e92: Odd things following software update

11-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

e92: Odd things following software update

Hi Guys & Gals,

Just wondered whether anyone in the know (re vehicle software updates) could shed any light on some odd things with my cars electronics.

When my car had the BBK fitted at Speed Religion last month it was taken to Halliwell Jones BMW to be re-coded - BMW recommend that if the full F/R BBK is fitted, the vehicle should have a software update to ensure that the DSC works correctly - which obviously I was keen to have done (don't really want to go backwards through a hedge if it all goes a little bit Pete Tong one day).

Anyway, I'm now wondering whether the dealer may have updated other software at the same time - to a newer version, because there are a couple of odd things happening now with other systems:

1) Navigation: When the Nav unit is programmed with a destination, you are given an ETA. Recently, when I travelled to my brothers place in Cambridge the Nav estimated an ETA 2.5hrs ahead at the outset of the journey (for a journey that normally takes me 1.75hrs). The ETA remained the same until we were maybe 30 miles away and then reduced dramatically to within maybe 5 mins of the time we actually arrived.

There was one delay listed on the TMC but that was estimated at 6 mins and had actually disappeared by the time we arrived at that point.

2) Radio: When the Traffic Program cuts in to the selected channel, I used to be able to cancel it by pressing one of the pre-programmed buttons on the radio, which would return me to the original channel. Now, this is only possible using the i-drive controller, by pressing it once.

3) OBC Fuel Cons: Since the remap I've been using the performance a bit more, so the overall cons has dropped but when we went down to Cambridge I thought I'd see how economical the car was on a long journey. Previously the Avg Cons figure would step up maybe 0.1mpg at a time, so '36.3', '36.4', '36.5' etc as the miles go by and you get further away from the Urban Avg. Now, the reading jumps in large, odd steps, so initially it might read '34.1', then 36.8'.....later, after maybe 20 miles '42.6', by the end of the journey it had jumped to '47.8'. The incremental steps seem to have gone!?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the consumption, which is staggering for a car with this much grunt but as a techie I notice these small differences and would like to know if anyone else has heard of a software update causing these sort of anomalys.

I certainly can't see the OBD remap (which was done at the same time)affecting any of these systems, so everything points to the recoding.

Not a biggie and doesn't affect the car in any material way but I'm just a little bit baffled

Any thoughts?

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

my obc fuel display always displays big jumps (no remap)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
ditto always big jumps
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Hmm, thanks guys - interesting, I'm convinced mine used to go up in small steps.

Any comments on the TP radio cancelling or Nav ETA?

Don't think I'm imagining that they're different now (or am I losing my marbles)

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I cancel my travel alerts by pressing the plus/minus button on the right side of the steering wheel. no remap sep 2007 car.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Hmm, thanks guys - interesting, I'm convinced mine used to go up in small steps.

Any comments on the TP radio canceling or Nav ETA?

Don't think I'm imagining that they're different now (or am I losing my marbles)

Mine goes up in approx 0.3 MPG increments, as for TP I just press the TP button briefly and reverts to music source and tick remains in display for next time.
      11-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Oh yeh my mpg goes up in .3mpg increments too.
Appreciate 0