E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > spilled whiskey all over amp

02-24-2022, 01:58 AM   #1
Kremis
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

spilled whiskey all over amp

I was driving with a bag of alcohol in the trunk when all of a sudden my speakers stopped working. I checked the trunk and one of the bottles had cracked, leaking whiskey into the amp compartment. Amp was completely soaked. Pulled the breaker for the amp and then removed the amp when I got home, drained all the whiskey.

Do I need to clean the amp and get all the alcohol off of it? The harness also definitely got soaked, same with the power cable. What should I do? Is the amp now toast? I saw a few posts where it looked like people got their amps wet, removed them and let them dry and then were ok. I mean, worst case I get an amp upgrade right? Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremis View Post
I was driving with a bag of alcohol in the trunk when all of a sudden my speakers stopped working. I checked the trunk and one of the bottles had cracked, leaking whiskey into the amp compartment. Amp was completely soaked. Pulled the breaker for the amp and then removed the amp when I got home, drained all the whiskey.

Do I need to clean the amp and get all the alcohol off of it? The harness also definitely got soaked, same with the power cable. What should I do? Is the amp now toast? I saw a few posts where it looked like people got their amps wet, removed them and let them dry and then were ok. I mean, worst case I get an amp upgrade right? Lol
I would open it up and see if there are any burned components or broken fuses.

Then using some isopropyl to clean it is a good idea. IPA is ~70% alcohol instead of 40% so it isn't very conductive and tries out fast. Whiskey is actually pretty conductive...

I hope it wasn't good whiskey(hopefully it was overly smoky scotch and not bourbon). It could be a bigger loss than the amp (or much less of one)!

Worst case logic7 amps appear to be about $120 on ebay, hifi amps are about half of that..

-Rich
      02-27-2022, 12:52 AM   #3
Kremis
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
I would open it up and see if there are any burned components or broken fuses.

Then using some isopropyl to clean it is a good idea. IPA is ~70% alcohol instead of 40% so it isn't very conductive and tries out fast. Whiskey is actually pretty conductive...

I hope it wasn't good whiskey(hopefully it was overly smoky scotch and not bourbon). It could be a bigger loss than the amp (or much less of one)!

Worst case logic7 amps appear to be about $120 on ebay, hifi amps are about half of that..

-Rich

Thanks, and it was some not so good scotch so its fine.. Lol

I will open up the amp tomorrow and take a look. I am getting the steady yellow light on the amp, which from some searching online appears to mean that the amp might possibly be not working, which makes sense because it got drenched in whiskey. And yeah I have logic7, honestly 120 is not bad at all, I found the same results on ebay. Thinking ill just go with that worst case, cant be asked to drop money on an upgraded amp and figure out the wiring rn
Appreciate 0