F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Any Heating Engineers /Plumbers – your opinion please
Studio RSR

04-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #1
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ise

Any Heating Engineers /Plumbers – your opinion please

I had a 3 port valve replaced at one of my rental properties in December of 2021 and I have been told that the replacement valve has now failed!

The engineer says the manufacturer of the valve says that the warranty period for the valve has expired, but would not say how long the warranty was valid for.

I would have thought that it should be valid for at least 6 months if not a year – any opinions would be most welcome before I challenge him as to why I have to pay for the whole thing again! I do not mind having to pay for the labour but surely the valve should be covered!?

Thanks
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Time to find a new plumber? Jumping to conclusions but doesn't sound like he/she has fitted you a brand new item… 4 months usage and no manufacturer recourse? :
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

EvilDrPorkChop sounds like the right chap to answer this.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Hi
I have worked in the HVAC industry for 36 years and have changed many 3 ports in my time. They are very simple pieces of equipment and should last for years if installed correctly.
A minimum period of 12 months should be expected on any part of the valve.
What make is the valve? I will look up the warranty details for you.

If what the plumber is saying is true, then he probably had it as 'van stock' for a period. If so, that is the responsibility of the plumber to replace it FOC, unless he specifically sold it to you with a limited guarantee which I am presuming he didn't.

Last edited by Pond; 04-28-2022 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #5
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here are links to two of the most popular valves on the market. If you look at the details they are both 1 year guarantee
https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell...pression/31421
https://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-m...pression/81844
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks a lot guys - I am gong to ring the engineer tomorrow and have a chat with him and try to see what I can get out of him, if anything.
He has already replaced the valve with a new one but I have not paid yet - well it is all done through a letting agency so I will speak with them to see if they can withhold payment to him!

Thanks Again
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

It should have a 1 year guarantee with the manufacturer. All of them do.

Regarding labour though, that's a tricky one. If it was me, i'd be doing it goodwill especially after such a short period of time.

Also the other question you have to be asking is what quality of part are they fitting? If they're fitting a brand like ESI then they won't last two minutes (Although should last longer than 6 months). I'd stick to Drayton or Honeywell. Although I haven't been having much luck with Honeywell Motorised valves of recent.

You may have another issue that's causing the valve to be powered up all the time. This would cause the motor to burn out pretty rapid, hence the early failure.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17545.50
isleaiw18815.50
JD64275.00
      04-29-2022, 01:17 AM   #8
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
It should have a 1 year guarantee with the manufacturer. All of them do.

Regarding labour though, that's a tricky one. If it was me, i'd be doing it goodwill especially after such a short period of time.

Also the other question you have to be asking is what quality of part are they fitting? If they're fitting a brand like ESI then they won't last two minutes (Although should last longer than 6 months). I'd stick to Drayton or Honeywell. Although I haven't been having much luck with Honeywell Motorised valves of recent.

You may have another issue that's causing the valve to be powered up all the time. This would cause the motor to burn out pretty rapid, hence the early failure.
Great thank you - I will ring him today and let you know what happens

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I have had many of these valves fail over the years, they just don't seem to be up to the job. If anyone can recommend the best make I will ensure they are fitted in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
andrew.webber
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all of your input guys - the engineer has refunded me and I have asked the letting agents not to use his services again on any of my properties.

Hopefully the letting agents will not use him again on any properties that they manage for other clients as he is bound to have tried to do this on others I am sure!?

Thanks again guys

Andrew
Appreciate 1
Pond1872.00
      04-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #11
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.webber View Post
Thanks for all of your input guys - the engineer has refunded me and I have asked the letting agents not to use his services again on any of my properties.

Hopefully the letting agents will not use him again on any properties that they manage for other clients as he is bound to have tried to do this on others I am sure!?

Thanks again guys

Andrew
Good result, then. Interested as to what caused the valve to fail, but presumably (unless you have it again in the near future) you won't know.
Appreciate 0