New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

3500lbs!? BMW, what were you thinking?

This car is supposed to be bmws sports car, yet it weighs nearly as much as a 5er. This and the new 370Z were in the running for y next car, but it now seems that BMW has moved the z4 completely into hairdresser land. The fact that it weighs more than my 4seater 1series absolutely boggles my mind.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels let down by BMW. Between this, the x6, and rumors of M SUVs I really question the direction BMW is taking as a company. Will Audi end up as the last german brand producing amazing driver's street cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
omg618
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 D / MB GLE / BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Will Audi end up as the last german brand producing amazing driver's street cars?

Let me know when they start producing AMAZING cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Simple1
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
This car is supposed to be bmws sports car, yet it weighs nearly as much as a 5er. This and the new 370Z were in the running for y next car, but it now seems that BMW has moved the z4 completely into hairdresser land. The fact that it weighs more than my 4seater 1series absolutely boggles my mind.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels let down by BMW. Between this, the x6, and rumors of M SUVs I really question the direction BMW is taking as a company. Will Audi end up as the last german brand producing amazing driver's street cars?
Sure Buddy when you start making the financial decisions that effect your company on a global scale come back and post this ramble once again.

P.S. you 1 series doesn't have a convertible hardtop ever thought of that?

I find it funny that everyone cries about the weight, what do you want them to do when the government wants all the pedestrian safety rules and bmw still wants to give people all the features they want?

F80 M3 Euro Delivered = Gone too Soon

e90 335i debadged = Gone but not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

I agree with you that it is pretty heavy but when you think about it with a hardtop convertable its not so bad. The 370Z weighs 3373 lbs (only 150 lbs or so less) with out it being a convertable (and 90% of that car is plastic J/K). When the new 370Z convertable comes out we will have to see how much that weighs. I absolutely love the new Z4 it is beautiful and i'm sure a lot of fun to drive!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

does the weight include driver, gas and luggage like all their other weight figures?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

If it will be offered with cloth roof I think we can expect 100 kg less weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Perhaps I'm being a bit too reactionary. The styling is breathtaking, this will be timeless.

I'll reserve judgement on dynamics until I drive it, but I was really hoping for 3200-3300 lbs, 135 weight at most. I was very infatuated by the idea of the n54 in a 3200lb car, but perhaps BMW doesn't want to put a non-M car in the 12s stock quite yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Perhaps I'm being a bit too reactionary. The styling is breathtaking, this will be timeless.

I'll reserve judgement on dynamics until I drive it, but I was really hoping for 3200-3300 lbs, 135 weight at most. I was very infatuated by the idea of the n54 in a 3200lb car, but perhaps BMW doesn't want to put a non-M car in the 12s stock quite yet.
"....i was hoping for 3200-3300 lbs..."
they extended the wheel base, width and over all length...a hardtop...what did you expect???

"...now seems that BMW has moved the z4 completely into hairdresser land"........
and this coming from a guy driving a 1 series.....pffftt!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Quote:
Will Audi end up as the last german brand producing amazing driver's street cars?
Sorry I am a bit behind it seems...When was the last AMAZING street car they produced?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg618 View Post
Let me know when they start producing AMAZING cars?

12-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
"....i was hoping for 3200-3300 lbs..."
they extended the wheel base, width and over all length...a hardtop...what did you expect???

"...now seems that BMW has moved the z4 completely into hairdresser land"........
and this coming from a guy driving a 1 series.....pffftt!!
I was hoping for a sports car instead of a luxury car.

The guy in the 3er calling the 1er a hairdresser car!

I must say, I'm just generally unhappy that BMWs keep getting bigger and heavier with more superfluous features, and less sporting intent. Leave that to Mercedes. I'd be happier if BMW took the 350Z-370Z route, and made a smaller, lighter, higher performance car, instead of making a bigger, pretty, more luxurious car and shoe-horning a bigger engine into it.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I want to see BMW stay focused on what the brand has always been about. World class luxury, class leading size, weight, and sex appeal were not old BMW. We saw distinctive yet handsome styling, and class leading performance, and an absolutely unbeatable blend of fun-to-drive and usability. IMO, we've been seeing some fun-to-drive sacrificed for luxury, size, and flash.

There's a reason that over the past few years you've been seeing Audi's S and RS products doing VERY well in comparison tests against BMW and Mercedes, despite being slower. They are trying to fill the niche BMW once occupied, and they will do so without opposition if BMW keeps making each succesive generation of cars 15% larger, 20% heavier, and 30% more powerful. This is not a winning formula for fun-to-drive, this is a winning formula for building an American Muscle Car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Sorry I am a bit behind it seems...When was the last AMAZING street car they produced?
The R8 is one of the best sports cars ever made.

The S and RS line are amazing street cars, and even the standard cars are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I must say, I'm just generally unhappy that BMWs keep getting bigger and heavier with more superfluous features, and less sporting intent. Leave that to Mercedes. I'd be happier if BMW took the 350Z-370Z route, and made a smaller, lighter, higher performance car, instead of making a bigger, pretty, more luxurious car and shoe-horning a bigger engine into it.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I want to see BMW stay focused on what the brand has always been about. World class luxury, class leading size, weight, and sex appeal were not old BMW. We saw distinctive yet handsome styling, and class leading performance, and an absolutely unbeatable blend of fun-to-drive and usability. IMO, we've been seeing some fun-to-drive sacrificed for luxury, size, and flash.

There's a reason that over the past few years you've been seeing Audi's S and RS products doing VERY well in comparison tests against BMW and Mercedes, despite being slower. They are trying to fill the niche BMW once occupied, and they will do so without opposition if BMW keeps making each succesive generation of cars 15% larger, 20% heavier, and 30% more powerful. This is not a winning formula for fun-to-drive, this is a winning formula for building an American Muscle Car.

stupidity of this magnitude should result in one thing...
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #14
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post

stupidity of this magnitude should result in one thing...

Interwebz is srs bizniz!!!

Don't get your panties in wad, I was being light hearted!

Argue away, it's always fun! I think I'm right, though you're welcome to disagree if you think BMWs are getting lighter, sportier, less powerful, and smaller.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
nicknickk
Rep
Drives: Mazda mx5 NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBimmerFan View Post
I agree with you that it is pretty heavy but when you think about it with a hardtop convertable its not so bad. The 370Z weighs 3373 lbs (only 150 lbs or so less) with out it being a convertable (and 90% of that car is plastic J/K). When the new 370Z convertable comes out we will have to see how much that weighs. I absolutely love the new Z4 it is beautiful and i'm sure a lot of fun to drive!!!
"and 90% of that car is plastic J/K".......Maybe just a little one eyed.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:

i dont think so... the two brands dont even have the same engineering philosophy. plus, if you look at any review on the M3, you can see why the BMW is still the king in terms of performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #17
BossE86
Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe [E86]

Garage List
Quote:

I've got to defend you on that one. Although the E85/86 Z4 was in the right direction from the overly petite Z3, the new Z4 is moving way to close to Mercedes territory. When I first saw the new Z4 I thought the it was a Merc. The headlights, the roof, the trunk - all remind me of an SL class Merc.

Bring back the Z8 if you want to make heavy powerful roadsters draped with luxury but leave the Z4's to be true roadsters.

Atleast hopefully the new n54 motor will make up for it, I'm sure the E92 M3 motor will make it into the Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

It's practically impossible to decrease weight while maintaining mainstream buyer interest.

They have to constantly add equipment to keep up with the times and standards. People are going to look at this and say "oh, good, it has this and that, which makes this much more appealing to me". If BMW doesn't add the trivial shit that people like, people are gonna notice. You have no idea how many men and women look at a car, notice it doesn't have X amount of cupholders, or it's missing this nav feature, or that panoramic sunroof, etc etc, and they're gonna look towards other cars.

Same goes to dimensions. So long as the competition continues to grow larger, so will BMW. People tend to associate larger cars as being better cars. More space = better. We see it as a burden. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do. Look at the mags. They LOVE how much bigger the A4 is, despite the fact that it's a pig (but a fast pig at that). I'm betting on the next gen 3er gaining some weight as per usual.

That's just the way it goes. If BMW could blow shit tons of money on aluminum and other lightweight high-strength materials, we'd be seeing weight drop, or at least plane off.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Interwebz is srs bizniz!!!

Don't get your panties in wad, I was being light hearted!

Argue away, it's always fun! I think I'm right, though you're welcome to disagree if you think BMWs are getting lighter, sportier, less powerful, and smaller.
"....Don't get your panties in wad..."
your the one that drives a 1series....LOL....just kidding
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

1 series in girly metallic baby blue!

I think what I would have done as BMW is lowered the car a bit, and used plastics or aluminum for the roof/hood/boot. Probably could have kept it under 3350 that way, and lowered cg.

It'll be several years before I want to get rid of the 1er anyways, so hopefully well see an M, or M Sport by then.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #21
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

The weight is too high, period. Nobody asked for a mandatory hardtop convertible. I'm sure despite the weight, it'll still put up stellar handling figures though.

Otherwise, everything else is nice.
      12-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Tenorino
Rep
Drives: Fred Flintstone Sedan

Quote:

I'm amazed with how much people talk about weight as if their lives depended on it or as if BMW didn't know what they were doing. The car my friends, is not meant to be a stripped down, raw roadster for the enthusiast. It's designed and built to sell to as many people as possible. At 0-60 in 5 seconds, that quite quick and I'm sure some tweaks to the turbo can yield some serious performance. Perhaps people should question their own weight when they plunk down in the car or consider a motorcycle?
Appreciate 0