E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Winter car washing tips

12-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Winter car washing tips

If your are like me washing the car in the winter feels a bit of a chore. I do not like the alloys & bodywork covered in grime / salt for the long term condition but it's fairly painful to wash and the car and it looks dirty next day.

I cleaned the wheels first with seperate bucket brush / sponge. Then onto the bodywork.
I do not like pressure washing the car (don't own one) but have a snow foam machine but it's a bit of a faff. So today I got the DP extreme foam (basically a thick shampoo) and went around the car squeezing a fine toothpaste layer across the sides / roof/ boot bonnet and set to the car with the hose (I only used a tiny amount of snow foam). This thin layer then spread a good deal of foam all over the car. I then washed with mitt & 2 buckets & shampoo in the usual way. Car cleaned really quickly with loads of foam to protect the paintwork. Really worked well and I will do this again next time.

Also cleaned the inside of the windscreen with window cleaner. It was pretty shocking the amount of dirt I got off.

Anyone else got some good tips?
      12-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I still wash my car every two days, I have left it for 4-5 days, BUT always get back to every 2 days.

I cant stand my car looking dirty. She looks so good clean.

The other day mine was dirty and i saw in town a 335d se in montego blue, same cream leather and shadowline and 230's and it was clean and looked gorgeous. I drover straight home and cleaned mine.
      12-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have just done 1,000 miles last week so car is grim. I was considering washing it today but I can't get the motivation as I will be driving another 1,000 miles again this week. Think I'll spend some extra time on it next weekend as I am off work for two weeks. Also get the H&R springs fitted if the weather is on my side.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
i always dry my car with drying towels otherwise it watermarks like a tosser.
      12-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Even when the car is clean my alloys look really pitted. and spoil the finished look.
The quality of laquer on modern BMW wheels is poor. I will get at them with alloy cleaner and clay bar next spring.

Carl;, every 2 days in winter you have plenty of time on your hands. I am lucky with every 2 weeks.
      12-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Well maybe, but not only that mate i cant stand it beign dirty, i even clean it in the dark.

I can do it in half hour now also.
      12-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Lutz328xi
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 xi

I pull my car in the garage, turn on the kerosene heater, and wash it with optimum no rinse, followed with a quick detailer. So far, so good
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz328xi View Post
I pull my car in the garage, turn on the kerosene heater, and wash it with optimum no rinse, followed with a quick detailer. So far, so good
You're just posh lol - hell, I can't even get my car in the garage 'cos it's full of his bloody Landy bits.

Just finished washing mine. Wheels first which I waxed last week so they were a doddle to clean. Rinse down then wash with mitt and Meguiars shampoo plus. Rinse again and remove hose pipe gun and just let the water run over the bodywork and virtually all the water runs off (tip from detailer). Dry off with drying towels then I applied some Zaino grand finale spray seal.

Yep, it will get dirty again tomorrow but all the salt has been removed and gives me some exercise.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I use warm water, do any of you? i couldnt do it with cold. Its a terrible feeling.
      12-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Ditto Carlos,
      12-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Yep I wash the car with warm water but hate washing the car especially the 5 Series because it is so big I can't reach the middle of the roof, bought a little step

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
in winter i try and do it as speedy as possible (Yeah right)
1)Quick blast on low setting with jetwash all over (20 mins)
2)Meguirs shampoo straight on the wheels (60 mins to get them bling for all 4)
3)shampoo whole car with gold class and clean sponge (20 mins)
4)Jet wash rinse from roof to wheels (10 mins)
5)techwax 2.0 application with meguiars pads (15 mins) + 25 mins for it to dry
6)AG perfect polishing cloth to buff
7)aG extra gloss protection for sealant (same app no 5), but wait for 40 mins for it to cure
8)AG perfect polishing cloth to buff
9) turtle wax glass polishing cloths for windows with AG fast glass (10 mins)
10) AG tyre dressing (10 mins)
11) wax wheels with AG Super resin polish (20) plus drying time
12) exahust tips done with techpol form megs
13) lights sprayed with ag show room shine for crystal like shine
14) My wife is pissed with me know, I'm hungry and half the days gone if not more
and I still havent done the indose as yet.
15) Neighbours think im mad for doing it the cold + people ask me to do their cars, some are serious I think i need help, but rims are bloody clean
      12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zk1 View Post
in winter i try and do it as speedy as possible (Yeah right)
1)Quick blast on low setting with jetwash all over (20 mins)
2)Meguirs shampoo straight on the wheels (60 mins to get them bling for all 4)
3)shampoo whole car with gold class and clean sponge (20 mins)
4)Jet wash rinse from roof to wheels (10 mins)
5)techwax 2.0 application with meguiars pads (15 mins) + 25 mins for it to dry
6)AG perfect polishing cloth to buff
7)aG extra gloss protection for sealant (same app no 5), but wait for 40 mins for it to cure
8)AG perfect polishing cloth to buff
9) turtle wax glass polishing cloths for windows with AG fast glass (10 mins)
10) AG tyre dressing (10 mins)
11) wax wheels with AG Super resin polish (20) plus drying time
12) exahust tips done with techpol form megs
13) lights sprayed with ag show room shine for crystal like shine
14) My wife is pissed with me know, I'm hungry and half the days gone if not more
and I still havent done the indose as yet.
15) Neighbours think im mad for doing it the cold + people ask me to do their cars, some are serious I think i need help, but rims are bloody clean
"and I still havent done the indose as yet." means inside .
      12-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C2S

The danger of doing a quick wash is not fully removing all the grit/grime from the paint then dragging it around with a mitt/sponge. Even with the 2 BM the risk is much increased.

I can really recommend investing in pw and foam gun. First spray with a pre-wash, then jet wash down (set to spray NOT jet), then foam, leave for 5 mins (get a cuppa and thaw out), then jet rinse off. Most (not all) of the grime will be removed. If feeling energetic continue with 2BM, if not rinse off with distilled water (a watering can is ideal) and leave well alone......
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33porsche View Post
The danger of doing a quick wash is not fully removing all the grit/grime from the paint then dragging it around with a mitt/sponge. Even with the 2 BM the risk is much increased.

I can really recommend investing in pw and foam gun. First spray with a pre-wash, then jet wash down (set to spray NOT jet), then foam, leave for 5 mins (get a cuppa and thaw out), then jet rinse off. Most (not all) of the grime will be removed. If feeling energetic continue with 2BM, if not rinse off with distilled water (a watering can is ideal) and leave well alone......
Sounds good, where can you get those from?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

I always try to give mine a thorough waxing in the late autumn, which seems to help keep them cleaner through the winter - wash, Megs quick clay, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, Zymol Titanium (only use Atlantique in the Summer) a dose of Zymol Seal for the rubber/ Preserve for the tyres and Poorboys wheel sealant for the rims/calipers.

Strange as it may sound I try not to hand wash too often in the winter - as M33 says it can just increase the chance of scratching from grit/salt, so in the winter I use the rinse/snow foam/jet wash/Aqua Gleam approach normally and only do a full hand wash about every 3 weeks, as follows:

1) Throrough rinse with hose to wash away any loose grit/salt.
2) Hook up the Karcher and Elite foam gun and apply a 150ml mix (50/50%) of Elite Snow Foam and Meguiars Gold Class shampoo topped up with warm water. Apply the foam and let it dwell for 10 mins.
3) Jet wash body, wheels, brakes/calipers, suspension, sills and underside.
4) Wash body (top downwards obviously) with two bucket method and sheepskin mitt - one bucket with warm water (not hot - don't want to thermal shock the paint) with a strong Meguiars Gold Class or NXT shampoo, the other bucket with hot water (as hot as I can stand) to rinse the mitt and keep my hands warm.

To keep the danger of swirls to a min, I only cover a section of about 4 sq ft at a time between rinsing the mitt and even then I always make two passes with the mitt and always in a straight line - the first just touching the paint with very little pressure, then rinse the mitt and get more shampoo and do the second pass with more pressure applied.

Once one section, like the roof, is done I rinse that section off, then the glass, bonnet, boot, front bumper, wings, doors, door jams, 3/4 panels and rear bumper, then change to an old mitt and do the sills.
5) Clean out the leaf traps and wash plenty of water through the gutters.
6) Next the wheels - can't see the sense in doing the wheels first in the winter and letting the crud from the body drop onto them . New bucket of shampoo mix, soft bristle and hard bristle brushes, new and old microfibre cloths. Use the hard bristle brush to clean the tyre sidewall. Use the new microfibre to clean the wheel face (rinsing every few spokes), the soft wheel brush between the spokes and the old microfibre for the back of the spokes and the calipers.
7) Rinse everything thoroughly with normal water through the hose spray head.
8) Rinse everything again quickly with filtered water running through the Aqua Gleam 30ppm/0ppm and out of an open hose.
9) Dry everything with a Meguiars waffle weave towel.
10) Crawl back in house, assess frost-bite situation and swear never to do it again - repeat as necessary

Zk1 I can sympathise - the outside takes me about 2.5 to 3 hours but that's without waxing or doing the inside.

I'm planning on retiring to a nice padded room where I can relax in one of those coats with the wrap around sleeves

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..

Last edited by Mark II; 12-14-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #17
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixman View Post
Sounds good, where can you get those from?
have a look over on detailingworld.co.uk

Most of the traders sell the kit. I got my foam gun from autobrite and it fits right onto a standard karcher pw.......
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
I always try to give mine a thorough waxing in the late autumn, which seems to help keep them cleaner through the winter - wash, Megs quick clay, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, Zymol Titanium (only use Atlantique in the Summer) a dose of Zymol Seal for the rubber/ Preserve for the tyres and Poorboys wheel sealant for the rims/calipers.

Strange as it may sound I try not to hand wash too often in the winter - as M33 says it can just increase the chance of scratching from grit/salt, so in the winter I use the rinse/snow foam/jet wash/Aqua Gleam approach normally and only do a full hand wash about every 3 weeks, as follows:

1) Throrough rinse with hose to wash away any loose grit/salt.
2) Hook up the Karcher and Elite foam gun and apply a 150ml mix (50/50%) of Elite Snow Foam and Meguiars Gold Class shampoo topped up with warm water. Apply the foam and let it dwell for 10 mins.
3) Jet wash body, wheels, brakes/calipers, suspension, sills and underside.
4) Wash body (top downwards obviously) with two bucket method and sheepskin mitt - one bucket with warm water (not hot - don't want to thermal shock the paint) with a strong Meguiars Gold Class or NXT shampoo, the other bucket with hot water (as hot as I can stand) to rinse the mitt and keep my hands warm.

To keep the danger of swirls to a min, I only cover a section of about 4 sq ft at a time between rinsing the mitt and even then I always make two passes with the mitt and always in a straight line - the first just touching the paint with very little pressure, then rinse the mitt and get more shampoo and do the second pass with more pressure applied.

Once one section, like the roof, is done I rinse that section off, then the glass, bonnet, boot, front bumper, wings, doors, door jams, 3/4 panels and rear bumper, then change to an old mitt and do the sills.
5) Clean out the leaf traps and wash plenty of water through the gutters.
6) Next the wheels - can't see the sense in doing the wheels first in the winter and letting the crud from the body drop onto them . New bucket of shampoo mix, soft bristle and hard bristle brushes, new and old microfibre cloths. Use the hard bristle brush to clean the tyre sidewall. Use the new microfibre to clean the wheel face (rinsing every few spokes), the soft wheel brush between the spokes and the old microfibre for the back of the spokes and the calipers.
7) Rinse everything thoroughly with normal water through the hose spray head.
8) Rinse everything again quickly with filtered water running through the Aqua Gleam 30ppm/0ppm and out of an open hose.
9) Dry everything with a Meguiars waffle weave towel.
10) Crawl back in house, assess frost-bite situation and swear never to do it again - repeat as necessary

Zk1 I can sympathise - the outside takes me about 2.5 to 3 hours but that's without waxing or doing the inside.

I'm planning on retiring to a nice padded room where I can relax in one of those coats with the wrap around sleeves
Some great advise there - might sound extreme but the difference in finish between a car washed this way vs the gritty sponge method is night and day - ever wondered why new cars just have that extra gloss/depth to their paintwork that yours doesn't - answer is swirl free clearcoat.....

yes I too may be in need of a padded cell but the results can be stunning.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #19
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I'm feeling quite embarrassed;
My winter cleaning tips are as follows:
Drive to tesco. By the Daily Telegraph and a star bar.
Then drive to nearest Kossovan special.
Get out of car, Hand over keys and £15
Read papers, sip a decent columbian coffee and munch on star bar whilst someone else cleans the car.
In the words of Gordon Ramsey "Clean car in winter. Done".

I honestly wish I had more time/the inclination to do it properly. I still have all of my Zymol kit from when I had my Ferrari but the best I can muster is maybe twice a year. I tip my cap to those of you that manage it often.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
£15 for the Kosovan car wash??? thats only £5 up here or £10 for interior and exterior!! We used to have a great one, about 12 miles away, I left my car there every friday for a few hours, always gleeming when I came back Think he paid it special attention!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33porsche View Post
have a look over on detailingworld.co.uk

Most of the traders sell the kit. I got my foam gun from autobrite and it fits right onto a standard karcher pw.......

What model is the foam gun is it a Gilmore?
What model is the Karcher PWasher - how do you use it i.e. what settings / power level do you put in on to clean a car?
      12-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
m33porsche
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What model is the foam gun is it a Gilmore?
What model is the Karcher PWasher - how do you use it i.e. what settings / power level do you put in on to clean a car?
Mine is autobrite's own foam lance and it fits onto any karcher lance. To use add about 1 inch of snow foam liquid into the bottle and top up with water. Screw foam lance on the bottle via the supplied brass fitment then twist the foam lance into the karcher plastic gun.

When you turn the pw on hey presto lovely thick foam. You can adjust the air mixture ratio to get more or less bubbles and also adjust the spray pattern.

Cover the car, leave for 5 minutes then jet wash off - you won't regret it.

Round about 50 quid for the lance and 14 quid for 5 litres of snow foam which will last for around 6 months assuming a weekend wash....
Appreciate 0