BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Advise and Steps for a Detail

Hello,

I would like a professional opinion on doing a full detail on my M3. I have read many post here and I would like to start one with product detail. Everyone here uses so many different types. This is what I am looking to do

1. Clay
then what do I do? Use a sealant then a wax or polish?

What should I use? Anybody use Griot's? They had a big write up in the Roundel.

Last edited by m3larson; 12-19-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

usually: wash (with dish soap to strip old wax) -> clay -> wash -> paint cleanser -> polish -> sealer (optional) -> wax (several coats if you like!)

there are hundreds of products for each step. each step can be done by hand, but many can utilize powertools (careful here if you are new to this).... personally i like the excercise of hand polishing!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
usually: wash (with dish soap to strip old wax) -> clay -> wash -> paint cleanser -> polish -> sealer (optional) -> wax (several coats if you like!)

there are hundreds of products for each step. each step can be done by hand, but many can utilize powertools (careful here if you are new to this).... personally i like the excercise of hand polishing!
Great thanks.. What about using a sealer then wax and no polish? Does the polish just make the wax adhere better?
      12-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
kmax1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
Great thanks.. What about using a sealer then wax and no polish? Does the polish just make the wax adhere better?
i wouldnt skip polish, it removes the fine scratches/swirls and restores oils in the paint....IMO polish does much more for the glossy appearance of the paint than any other step.

however, there are heavier and finer polishes, if your car is in good shape you can get away w/ a fine polish, which isnt too much more work than waxing
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
If it's a new car, polish won't exactly be all that necessary if you don't want to. Polish has to come before sealing though, since it's designed to remove scratches and no point in doing that after you've sealed it.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Great White
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 DCT AW/PS

Garage List
2000 M5 E39  [10.00]
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
2002 318i Compact  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post

+1 from my side although I would not polish a new car just wax it.
      01-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White View Post
+1 from my side although I would not polish a new car just wax it.
I agree, just wash, clay, seal, wax. Clay two times a year and wax accordingly.
      01-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #8
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Cool

I always recommend the following steps......

1) Clean - Use a quality automotive shampoo DO NOT USE DISHWASHING SOAP!! keep this for the greasy pots and pans and dishes only. Start from the top working your way down, leaving the lowers for last.

2) Clay - Using Blue Magic body clay with a quality mist and wipe ( clay spray ) DO NOT DROP, IS SO DISCARD CLAY Always knead the clay between panels and work in a back and forth motion, not circular to avoid scratches.

2) Polish ( Plenty of choices, I like Meguair's Speed Glaze # M80 or 3M perfect it II ) D.A. use only

3) Wax or Seal ( Plenty of choices, Meguiar's NXT 2, Meguiar's # 20 ) Hand or D.A. use

4) Maintain your finish, wash regularly and follow up after each wash using a mist and wipe or gloss enhancer and always use the best quality MF you can buy.

All of these steps are very user friendly, and if you begin a system of maintaining your BMW on a regular basis, it simple, fun and rewarding.

Dave @ Innovative Detailing

www.innovativedetailing.com

Why shine when you can sparkle!
Appreciate 0