E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Back of car drifts to the right in snow

12-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
superstarR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Back of car drifts to the right in snow

I have Blizzak LM-22's on my vehicle on a 328i...I'm in Boston and the car still drives like crap in the snow. When there is more than 1" on snow on the road the car barely moves.

Do any of you guys have the problem with the back end of the car always drifting to the right when you step on the gas. (same thing with DTC on or off) If there is a small incline, say 5 degrees on the road towards to curb. my car will drift into the curb and I can't get out....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

no clue? That's probably just how it's going to be.
      12-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

Try going less aggressive on the gas? I dunno what to tell you really. My car's rear end kicks out in the snow if I stomp on it but the key to it is very delicate and easygoing use of the gas pedal. It hasn't failed me yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2112 View Post
Try going less aggressive on the gas? I dunno what to tell you really. My car's rear end kicks out in the snow if I stomp on it but the key to it is very delicate and easygoing use of the gas pedal. It hasn't failed me yet.
+1 even my gf's audi slips when accelerate a little hard.
just take it easy and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

If you're running a full tank of gas, the weight of that (gas is heavy!) will offset the balance of the car slightly causing it to slide to one side. If it's not that, take a look at your suspension settings. I used to have -1.75 rear camber on the left side and -1.95 rear camber on the right side and it would always break traction more easily on the left side.

But most likely like everyone has said, be gingerly with the gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
Back of car drifts to the right in snow.
Then you should turn the steering wheel to the right a little.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

I have a tuned 335i, with the Blizzak 18's, and no issues whatsoever. Even in 5 inches of unplowed roads. Try starting off in 2nd, and keep the same amount of light throttle pressure on the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Three35i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Acura RSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphr View Post
If you're running a full tank of gas, the weight of that (gas is heavy!) will offset the balance of the car slightly causing it to slide to one side. If it's not that, take a look at your suspension settings. I used to have -1.75 rear camber on the left side and -1.95 rear camber on the right side and it would always break traction more easily on the left side.

But most likely like everyone has said, be gingerly with the gas.

there would be baffles in the gas tank to keep the weight of the gas from shifting to abruptly to cause any kind of unbalance or weight shift to make the rear slide to one side or another.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
cyphr
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three35i View Post
there would be baffles in the gas tank to keep the weight of the gas from shifting to abruptly to cause any kind of unbalance or weight shift to make the rear slide to one side or another.
Yes, most cars do have baffles in the fuel tank to avoid minimal sloshing but under extreme lateral forces they do next to nothing. Gas sloshing has been a substantial problem for those who autox (which is why we recommend running 1/4 tank). This is why fuel starvation is a large problem for those who track their cars. I've personally experienced fuel starvation on my e92 on sweeping right handers.

Not only does the sloshing have an effect during extreme cornering/braking/turning but the positioning of the gas tank (on the right side of our cars) would obviously lead to a static lateral imbalance in our cars if run on a full tank.

But to stay on topic, the OP would most likely be experiencing an alignment problem given his situation.
Appreciate 0