BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Smell of brakes when opening the trunk.

09-06-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Question Smell of brakes when opening the trunk.

Here's the scenario. Wife comes home from work in our G30, exists the drivers door, use the hand-free trunk operation and smells "brakes" coming from the trunk.

When she first told me this I laughed, but I've now witnessed it and while rinsing the car off after a drive home in the rain I noticed more build up of dark dirt on the right side of the rear bumper. My thinking is as she walks past the LR to get to the trunk, there is no smell of brake because its coming from the RR of the car and is only noticeable upon opening the trunk.

Long story short, I haven't told her what I think but asked her to sniff around each of the rear wheels to see if she can smell any difference. I may even give her my IR Thermometer so she can troubleshoot further.

TLDR; I think the RR caliper is dragging on our 2022 540 w/ M-Sport Brakes and just 8K miles.

Last edited by G30 B58; 09-06-2022 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
Here's the scenario. Wife comes home from work in our G30, exists the drivers door, use the hand-free trunk operation and smells "brakes" coming from the trunk.

When she first told me this I laughed, but I've now witnessed it and while rinsing the car off after a drive home in the rain I noticed more build up of dark dirt on the right side of the rear bumper. My thinking is as she walks past the LR to get to the trunk, there is no smell of brake because its coming from the RR of the car and is only noticeable upon opening the trunk.

Long story short, I haven't told her what I think but asked her to sniff around each of the rear wheels to see if she can smell any difference. I may even give her my IR Thermometer so she can troubleshoot further.

TLDR; I think the RR caliper is dragging on our 2022 540 w/ M-Sport Brakes and just 8K miles.
Bring it to the dealer with the build up of brake dust on the car. Point it out along with your wife "complaining about brake smell" and tell your SA you need his help in getting this fixed (to get your wife off your back). He doesn't have to know she's not really on your back, but he may have sympathy and go the extra mile for you. If you want to go for the mega sympathy, say your wife got some of the brake dust on her nice slacks and you got your ass handed to you over that.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 2
G30 B581551.00
NGT25685.00
      09-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Bring it to the dealer with the build up of brake dust on the car. Point it out along with your wife "complaining about brake smell" and tell your SA you need his help in getting this fixed (to get your wife off your back). He doesn't have to know she's not really on your back, but he may have sympathy and go the extra mile for you. If you want to go for the mega sympathy, say your wife got some of the brake dust on her nice slacks and you got your ass handed to you over that.
Those white slacks she wore on last time on Labor Day ...... they're RUINED!!

None of this is a major concern for her or I at the moment but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

The car will be soon be due for it's first oil change, it can be addressed then or sooner if it escalates. I'm in no hurry to drop the car at the dealership,we never even went for our free state inspection or emissions, bad things just seem to happen at the dealership.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50