BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #1
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AlpineWhite6MT///M3

Who has and uses Parking Assistance with Manual?

Curious who all has manual with the parking assistance?

I have it on my build just for the 360 overhead camera, but not sure how the assisted parking or reversing back to a start point even works with manual?

Didn't find much videos or anything showing how this looks either.

Is this just a nice to have, but not really used feature as well as the extra cameras?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
caber
Tough Guy
Rep
Drives: 2023 6MT BSM M3

My m3 is on order, but I also got the parking assistance package.

AFAIK, Parking assistance package for manuals is just the 360 degree overhead view. There is no autonomous parking assistance.

The reason I got it is because I plan on having 5% tint all around (except windshield, which will be 70%) which will reduce the visibility from the cabin at night by a decent amount. Ensuring you have 360 degree obstacle monitoring as you're parking if you're heavily tinted seems like a worthwhile thing to get. That mixed with the regular back up camera will hopefully provide all the visibility I'll need in all times and conditions I drive in.

If I wasn't planning on tinting my car so much for its lifetime I'm not sure I would have gone with the option. It does provide greater peace of mind to ensure you're not gonna damage your car tho and could be worth it just based on that.
      09-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #3
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber View Post
My m3 is on order, but I also got the parking assistance package.

AFAIK, Parking assistance package for manuals is just the 360 degree overhead view. There is no autonomous parking assistance.

The reason I got it is because I plan on having 5% tint all around (except windshield, which will be 70%) which will reduce the visibility from the cabin at night by a decent amount. Ensuring you have 360 degree obstacle monitoring as you're parking if you're heavily tinted seems like a worthwhile thing to get. That mixed with the regular back up camera will hopefully provide all the visibility I'll need in all times and conditions I drive in.

If I wasn't planning on tinting my car so much for its lifetime I'm not sure I would have gone with the option. It does provide greater peace of mind to ensure you're not gonna damage your car tho and could be worth it just based on that.
I see, that makes sense for sure! I was a bit curious my sales guy mentioned that you would have to rev it between rpms but wasn't sure if he was just BS'n lol. Wanted to confirm it on here.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:01 PM   #4
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
I have it on mine for the 360 view as well. I've never actually tested it because the idea isn't cohesive in my head how it would work. My last car that had something like that was semi-autonomous. It would do the steering but you have to decide when to stop it from backing up, which scared the living shit out of me.

It does prompt me to let my foot off of the brake when it sees a parking space. However, 90% of the time that parking space is perpendicular and suggests I reverse to t-bone the car next to me. If I remember to test it tomorrow I'll give you an update, I usually get to work first so the lot is empty.

Besides that... the 360 view, I can't have a car without it anymore, it's amazing!

Last edited by Nate.G82; 09-13-2022 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: I'm typing on my phone and it's a struggle
Appreciate 1
m3_blanc196.50
      09-13-2022, 11:03 PM   #5
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyphoon1 View Post
Curious who all has manual with the parking assistance?

I have it on my build just for the 360 overhead camera, but not sure how the assisted parking or reversing back to a start point even works with manual?

Didn't find much videos or anything showing how this looks either.

Is this just a nice to have, but not really used feature as well as the extra cameras?
With the 6MT, parking assistance does all the steering for you, it just tells you when to switch from reverse to 1st gear and so forth. You still have to use the brake/gas.

The main benefit is automatic steering.
      09-13-2022, 11:06 PM   #6
caber
Tough Guy
Rep
Drives: 2023 6MT BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetyphoon1 View Post
I see, that makes sense for sure! I was a bit curious my sales guy mentioned that you would have to rev it between rpms but wasn't sure if he was just BS'n lol. Wanted to confirm it on here.
I actually just checked the website and it looks like it does semi autonomously help you park. It seems like it turns the wheel and the driver is in charge of gas/break, and in our case, clutch.

I think i'll just be using it for 360 camera lol, but i guess i'd try it out and see how helpful it really is. I dont find parallel parking too difficult to begin with.
Jim B1899.00
      09-13-2022, 11:16 PM   #7
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
With the 6MT, parking assistance does all the steering for you, it just tells you when to switch from reverse to 1st gear and so forth. You still have to use the brake/gas.

Looks like that's the right answer to me. Just some clutch and brake work while the car steers you to the best of its ability. Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:25 PM   #8
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
I actually just checked the website and it looks like it does semi autonomously help you park. It seems like it turns the wheel and the driver is in charge of gas/break, and in our case, clutch.

I think i'll just be using it for 360 camera lol, but i guess i'd try it out and see how helpful it really is. I dont find parallel parking too difficult to begin with.

I also have Parking Assistance on my manual M4. Like you, I got it mainly for the 360 camera. I use it nearly every time I park my car, including in my garage, as I did with the Top and Side View cameras on the F82 that I traded in.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:41 PM   #9
m3_blanc
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
I have it on mine for the 360 view as well. I've never actually tested it because the idea isn't cohesive in my head how it would work. My last car that had something like that was semi-autonomous. It would do the steering but you have to decide when to stop it from backing up, which scared the living shit out of me.

It does prompt me to let my foot off of the brake when it sees a parking space. However, 90% of the time that parking space is perpendicular and suggests I reverse to t-bone the car next to me. If I remember to test it tomorrow I'll give you an update, I usually get to work first so the lot is empty.

Besides that... the 360 view, I can't have a car without it anymore, it's amazing!
Okay might have to get you to report back in, just curious on how it could be utilized. I see this more of a party trick for passengers than me ever using it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post

I see, wonder how seamless it is, vs being a hassle..

Quote:

Right, will be interesting as well, I was on the fence about keeping it or not, just due to the grille being altered, but seems more like something I'd gripe about if not having it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 04:51 AM   #10
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I've used it a couple of times on my manual G80. It works very well. I'm kind of amazed how well it works, with perfect distance from the curb every time I've used it. In addition, it will let you know whether a space is big enough for the car. Yes, you have to put it in gear, and work the clutch, gas,and brakes. We also have it in my wife's F22, and she refuses to use it. I guess I should be proud of her!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Update: works pretty well. You just need to be in the right place at the right time if it's a full lot, otherwise it does what it's intended to do.

Also firetyphoon1, I believe only the adaptive cruise control option puts that box on the front grille, as that is the radar. Mine has the parking assistance package but no radar on the front grille.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #12
PatientM
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne

I put it on my build, I figured when I curb it parking downtown i'll be pissed I didn't just shell out another $700 bucks in the grand scheme of things...
Appreciate 1
caber245.50
      09-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

The demo's / documentation I've seen for it are typically in a parallel parking situation -- which, obviously, is more tricky. But does anyone use it for either head- or tail-in parking? I'm not even sure if it shows the spots as eligible (the same way they do for parallel parking), but maybe I have to look closer...
      09-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #14
Manualonly
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 G80 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
The demo's / documentation I've seen for it are typically in a parallel parking situation -- which, obviously, is more tricky. But does anyone use it for either head- or tail-in parking? I'm not even sure if it shows the spots as eligible (the same way they do for parallel parking), but maybe I have to look closer...
It works for backing in and pulling directly in as well. I've had trouble getting it to detect these types of spots but when it does find one it does the parking perfectly.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2022, 05:21 PM   #15
BMWEnthusiast154
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientM View Post
I put it on my build, I figured when I curb it parking downtown i'll be pissed I didn't just shell out another $700 bucks in the grand scheme of things...
exactly why I added it as well. Not sure I trust the parking assist though
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 07:14 AM   #16
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
My top 2 reasons for ordering with park assist are the 360 camera, and reversing assistant. I have a tight garage for 2 cars, so I always use the reversing assistant to make sure I don't swipe the side of the garage with my sideview mirror.

It makes pulling out so much easier (TWSS)

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Jim B1899.00
      09-17-2022, 07:05 PM   #17
Pekingduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

I have it found it to be not reliable for small margin of error parking. I end up using mirror and reverse camera.
Appreciate 0